Fixed/Trans-axle Yoyo Contest Idea?

Hey everybody, I’ve been throwing around fixed and trans-axles lately (they need love too!) and I had an idea.

Maybe a ‘best trick’ contest with the Imperial? Or a trans-axle like the fireball or something? All you’d have to do is make a vid and post it under the official thread with your best trick to enter. For the winner im thinking I’ll give away some packs of Kitty fat? Maybe a plastic throw from my collection of your choosing? :eyes: Or if you just want it to be for fun/bragging rights that’s cool too! idk you guys can help figure out the prize.

Rules: you guys can have input on this one too. My rules would be obviously no bearings, no butterfly or modern shapes. I would like to see mostly imperials but if you have another cheap yoyo you wanna use that meets the guidelines I’m cool with that. Again that’s something everyone would have to agree on.

Mods: this one is tricky because I don’t wanna be a hypocrite, and although I’m not personally entering my own contest (duh) I’m using an imperial that has been taken apart. So the caps come loose on the axle all the time making the gap wider every few throws and allowing me to do some quick tricks/mounts you wouldn’t normally be able to do with an imperial right out of the package. So I’d say as long as you haven’t changed the weight, added a bearing or anything to drastically improve it we’re good there.

Lemme know if this is something you all would be interested in! Haven’t seen anything like this lately and thought it might be fun.

2 Likes

A problem I have with best trick contests like this is that I feel like I’m not good enough to win them, so I don’t even bother. I feel like a lot of other people who haven’t been throwing for as long share a similar sentiment. Anybody who has been throwing for 5-10+ years while making an effort to improve is so heavily favored to win that I know it’d be a waste of my time to try currently. That being said, it’s always great so see some of the bangers the cracked players will put out as entries.

So here’s a suggestion of having two winners. One person winning the actual best trick, and then all entrants will just be entered into a lottery to win. It’d get participation up while also still rewarding and incentivizing the good players to really put in some effort.

I do like the idea though. If you’re going to allow transaxles though, I think why not just allow any form of responsive yoyo? Make it a general 0A best trick contest.

5 Likes

This is a great suggestion and I think it’s one we should go with. There should be a runner up or extra incentives for others not just a solo winner. I want everyone and anyone of all skill levels involved! I’m trying to decide on the whole axle thing. I want it to be fair of course but also to see what you all can do with the bare minimum if that makes sense? If you have a trans axle that spins for a significantly longer amount of time than say someone with an imperial or fixed axle, the playing field gets a little uneven. So I think we gotta go either strictly trans axle or fixed. I want you to participate! I’ve seen a few of your vids and posts on here you have plenty skill (more than me trust me)

2 Likes

So what I’m thinking because Mable brought up a great point/suggestion is that we can’t just have a solo winner. We will obviously have some people that are naturally better and have been throwing longer etc that could just run away with this. So maybe the winner gets a plastic from my collection, second place gets a couple packs of kitty fat, third place a counterweight and/or miscellaneous yoyo stuff? I would even go as far as doing Venmo or gift cards or something. If that’s not allowed someone please just say so and I will NOT give away money/gift cards. I was thinking I could do that though for my international friends should they win, since shipping/physical prizes is going be a no go for them. (sorry in advance for that guys but I WILL make sure you get something)

Also: this is just in the idea stage, I know I said post a vid here and get it going but I rush things without thinking and clarifying so I’m sorry. This thread is for the ideas and rules, prize ideas etc now.

1 Like

I did a fixie HORSE contest a few years ago ove discord video chat lol. Not super high turnout but we had @edhaponik there so our credibility level was high. I believe Andre threw us a YYE gift card for the winner, but it was a few rounds of doing a trick and seeing if anyone else could as well. Very fun to play fixie with others in a competitive but very low-impact setting.

8 Likes

I may be in the wrong to ask, but if I were to get enough people involved, maybe a certain number you had in mind, a well organized set of rules and guidelines etc. Could we get you/YYE to “sponsor” this contest and do a gift card giveaway to the winner(s)? 1st through 3rd place. @AndreBoulay

2 Likes

That sounds like so much fun, might be something to consider instead of just a one trick video thing

4 Likes

I’m down for a fixed/responsive horse comp… sounds great. I tried to get one going on FB and got no interest. Let’s try this here i think it a great idea.

5 Likes

You’re a well known and well liked person on here so I think fixed axle and HORSE comp is what we should officially do! I think it’s a great idea and could be a lot of fun. Also I would love your help/advice on anything else in regards to rules and setting this up, if you wanna be my co-host so to speak that’d be awesome.

Also I wanna participate, but just for fun! Obviously I can’t win my own stuff lol (unless Andre comes in clutch with a gift card, but I still wouldn’t be eligible) that wouldn’t be right being my own contest and all

2 Likes

I’ll donate a Wildwood fixie to the cause.

8 Likes

Okay guys, if this isn’t enough motivation to participate I don’t know what is. These are amazing and one of you will now have a chance at winning one. Thank you so much Eric!

6 Likes

You had me at “how about a contest?”

3 Likes

I’m definitely down for this !!! My fixie skills are not the greatest but I’ll give it a go anyway !!! Count me in :wink:

3 Likes

Can confirm, these are amazing

2 Likes

It has come to my attention that the only fixed axle I own is an Imperial. Don’t fail me now ole faithful! Lol

4 Likes

I just want to watch all the entries!

2 Likes

Why no butterfly? I don’t own any imperial fixies… But some of my fixies are narrower butterflies. Also they aren’t cheap… But they are fixies.

3 Likes

I didn’t see this in OP. I would vote for Butterflies, as most of my fixies lean that way. Also, I would hardly call the Butterfly a “modern” shape.

4 Likes

Does this mean a Fireball Challenge? Cause then I’m in.

5 Likes

dude.

very cool and very generous!

kgb

3 Likes