Fixed/Trans-axle Yoyo Contest Idea?

i’m terrible at 0A…but i’ll play.

let’s get the throw sorted out though. my best fixie is the eH but it has more of the butterfly shape…as do pretty much all of my fixed axles. though, i do have a woody. a Tom Khun “Woody” that is. imperial shaped fixed axle.

enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

1 Like

Is have to agree unless your @edhaponik i don’t think the imperial is gonna attract many… you might svelte limit emgagment… i think you should open the contest to all fixed axel (regardless of shape or cost). El MiJo is my favorite fixed and that’s all metal…

In case anyone hasn’t seen this… edH imperial challenge.

EdH makes an imperial dance

Cause the trick list gois by fast…

6 Likes

That was epic! Thanks for posting!

1 Like

Hey everyone, an added update here to the idea thread, you can absolutely use WHATEVER SHAPE YOU WANT. It seems like we have a lot of people that don’t necessarily have imperil shaped fixies and that’s okay! Any shape as long as it’s fixed axle obviously. Looks like I will heading to my local grocery store today to find a Duncan butterfly lol

6 Likes

Butterfly or* modern shape but yes I agree and that is why we’re changing it to any shape allowed!

3 Likes

grab a butterfly, any butterfly, they rip.

2 Likes

I’m currently trying to track one down in a physical store without it being a Duncan, aka Mission Impossible. Looking like we’re gonna have to settle for one. Down but not out of this competition lol

maybe i misread you, but why would you not want a duncan butterfly? they’re great yoyos

2 Likes

Oh yeah no hate on them at all, they’re a great beginners throw to this day, a collectable and a lot of fun in their own ways. But my thought is that I may be bringing a knife to a gun fight with some of these other guys and gals lmao. I saw a post saying he’s got a metal fixie and we have a few woods i’m sure etc. But in the end I’m only participating for fun and not eligible to win anything since its my contest so using a Butterfly is cool with me haha.
“It’s not the throw, it’s the throw(er)”

2 Likes

i very much disagree with the sentiment that the butterfly is a beginners yoyo, it will do every trick listed in ayoyomike’s photo and more, and in the right hands is a really wicked yoyo (highly recommend checkout drew tetz).

i do agree that the el mijo will have a major advantage over plastics/woods, but the butterfly is very much on an even playing field with the other traditional fixies.

4 Likes

You intrigued me so I looked him up and this is exactly the kinds of stuff I was trying and what led me to this idea haha

2 Likes

Competition yoyo: :white_check_mark:

Also: really wish more yo-yos were sold in stores. I’m sure this is a topic that gets discussed monthly and is for another thread but man it does suck. When I was a kid you could at least go to like toys-r-us or KB toys etc and find somewhat of a selection (Yomega, Duncan, FHZs, etc) I was lucky to even find this butterfly at Walmart there were only 4 of em on the rack

7 Likes

The butterfly plays. I double loops mine with normal thickness poly. ::chef’s kiss::

2 Likes

Does double looping make a big difference or just for looping play in general? I can get her to spin for about 10 seconds if I really put my all into it, landed a chop sticks mount :rofl:

The double loop makes it sleep less. It makes the response very consistent and snappy. That lends itself better to how I use it for stalls, loops, regens, etc.

2 Likes

Ah okay that makes sense, I gotta brush up on stalls and regens. I am mostly just seeing how far I can push this thing right now, working on a wrist mount to GT. Problem is figuring out a good dismount from the GT without it snagging. I’m close and it is almost like dismount/regen at this point. I’ll post a vid when I get it down. I’m having a lot of fun with this haha

2 Likes

You were right I was wrong. This isn’t just a beginners throw or a kids toy or anything, I’m 26 and I’m having a blast with it so far. There are a lot of different elements between stalls and regens etc that I had no idea about and I’m hooked on learning right now

2 Likes

Mine is completely unresponsive with Kitty fat lol

The Butterfly is a serious little toy =]

2 Likes

If you’re single looped just ratchet up the tension for a bit until the thing responds. It’s kind of a balancing act between “has enough tension to respond” and “has little enough for the loop to stay open on a kickflip.” I usually double loop to simplify some of that.

1 Like