Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Spinworthy Survivalist and some survival juice. Only 439 minutes til the weekend.

20 Likes

Oh nice! Still throwing Spinworthy I see.

4 Likes

Yeah mate! There are four throws in my collection I will never relinquish. Someone will have to pry them from my cold dead giant hands. Two of them were pried from your warm Australian hands!

White Oak Ballsy
Survivalist
Wanker
Batsquatch

It was a sad day when you confirmed you’re not making yoyos for export any longer. Maybe one day I’ll sell one of my other two spinworthy throws for thousands of dollars as an exotic rarity…

5 Likes

Today I’m keeping things simple and throwing only No Jives.

More photos here:

24 Likes

I still can get my no-jive to jive right. Always either too responsive or not responsive enough.

3 Likes

@TheThrowingGnome Thanks, I did finally get this OG maple TMBR Baldwin tuned up and back to responding with a little more snap after replacing the axle. For only weighing in at 53 grams it definitely plays with a little punch. A beautiful piece from @colinleland

20 Likes

That was my intention, but very soon after I stopped, I had several people wanting me to make them yoyos and Ive been finding it hard to persistently say no. One of the requests was for a small batch of a potential signature plastic unresponsive yoyos for a well-known player. I’m still prototyping that one.

9 Likes

I borrowed one of the Ed ‘play simply’ no-jives from a friend. I found the response to be pretty poor.

It all hinges on whatever axle you have in it I think. I made some about fraction narrower from a different wood and they respond much better.

3 Likes

Sorry about your hand, I hope you weren’t a lefty. You have to be careful around power tools.

3 Likes

Don’t tease me Glen. But feel free to send me an invoice anytime. I trust your judgement and your craftsmanship. Fixie preferred but I’ll take whatever you want to make.

4 Likes

PM me. I might have a little som’in- som’in you may like.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to anything you may have coming down the road. I wasn’t going to bug you about turning a new yoyo, to respect your choice to pursue other things, but this definitely has me a bit excited to hear. I’ve bought/sold/traded a ton of stuff since getting into yoyo, and I only have two regrets for things I’ve gotten rid of, and one of those regrets is getting rid of a beater. After trying several other responsives, it’s still the best one I’ve had the pleasure of throwing.

7 Likes

Oh man, why did you get rid of the beater? There aren’t many of those around.

1 Like

I just started throwing at the beginning of the year, and hadn’t given enough time to responsive play to really appreciate a good fixie yet. So at the time I just preferred my alleycat to the few fixies I’d played, just because of how much more forgiving it felt. My preferences have definitely shifted a lot the better I’ve gotten.

3 Likes

28 Likes

Great shots!

4 Likes

TK kind of day.

13 Likes

Today I’m Freehand inspired and thought about going to my roots with a vintage Duncan Wheels. Legend has it, that modified Wheels from this era were @unklesteve 's and the Duncan Crew’s inspiration for what would become the Original Freehand. At 61 grams and for those who know; these really Slap. These were definitely my go to when I initially got into yoyo, they were just robust, relatively available and affordable which makes for a great combination for that kid who would skate around the neighborhood with one in the pocket. This one has the 5 spoke cap and plays great on cheap bulk poly.

19 Likes

Cupping the Ballsy today.

18 Likes

There’s GOTTA be more than three of us today.
Rocking this little undersized beauty from @Glenacius_K not sure if it has a name? Edit: it’s a Knick Knack, and I am forgetful.
Polycarbonate and a brass axle. Performs just as well as it’s big brothers, but I did have to shorten the string more than I normally would to give the stalls enough room in the gap. Not a bad thing! Makes throwing at my desk a lot easier, lol.

18 Likes