Fixed Axle Friday Throws

In just like the greater range you get on a bass with more than 4 strings.

4 Likes

Of course to each his own, and I didn’t mean to pull us off topic.

I would like to point out though, that unless your 5-String Bass has a (rare) high C, then it is headed in the bassier direction, and actually less like a guitar.

Instruments always go through evolutions, and the electric bass is relatively new, so I think it’s quite natural that it’s still being experimented with so much.

2 Likes

(I was gonna respond but it’s just too off topic.)

3 Likes

Then let’s see what you’re throwing, instead. :smile:

2 Likes

Updated green ProYos. Two versions of the “Sleeping in R’lyeh” theme (v.2 on the left, v.1 on the right):

7 Likes

They are really nice looking!

How is the Proyo to throw?

1 Like

Well, its a very basic yoyo, and I mostly just do a little bit of looping with it. But there’s something very satisfying about just doing that. It is mostly a nostalgia throw for me, but I am having a lot of fun making custom end caps for them.

7 Likes

my brother has a six string! it’s beast.

2 Likes

Bass n yoyo! I can dig it!

My eHnknown pairs well with my main bass - a black Fodera Monarch. I’m definitely in the 4-string camp. Used a fiver all through college strung E-C. Focusing more on jazz/upright and later more 70’s funk caused me to compress my range and try to do more with less (also applicable to fixed axle). Lately I’ve been all about Joe Dart & Vulfpeck. I can be friends w just about any bass though!

15 Likes

Nice bass and throw!

Not Fixed, but Responsive…

Edit: Fixed it.

8 Likes

Yesss!!! Right there with ya!

Wish I had a sunburst yoyo lol
I feel like the No Jive is the p-bass of throws :wink:

11 Likes

Those facial expressions, lmao :rofl:

I love when people get into playing their instruments rather than acting robotic.

And back on topic, ive been throwing my Spinworthy KNack in white oak today. After a failed lazy epoxy attempt at fixing it, I properly sanded down the axle and yoyo half and glued it proper. Back in order just like it came. The proto model with the squared off edges instead of being rounded off like in the main release.

7 Likes

Ohhhhh yeaaaaaaah

6 Likes

Do fixed axle (wood) eat string ? Or is it just me. Also i’m having loads of grief doing snap starts any tips would be appreciated. I’m using legend wing.
Cheers you most helpful people :smiley:

P.S
is that a purple heart throw ?

1 Like

Yes it is. SpinWorthy KNack custom.

Nice.

1 Like

I find legend wings can be a bit rough on strings initially. The response tends to be quite rough on the inside and can fray string strands a little, but with use it will wear down and become less of an issue. I tend to use poly string on my Wings and cotton on everything else because of this.

2 Likes

Just looked up knack.
Turning by hand is a big skill, and time consuming. Big respect to the guy who does it.

4 Likes

@Glenacius_K definitely knows his stuff. Seems like he really enjoys his craft. Maybe you should talk to him about a throw😉.

2 Likes