Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Go for some epoxy @YoYoExpertGarrett. That will glue it real firmly.

The gap is 8 playing cards.

2 Likes

Perfect, I have epoxy at home. Thanks!

1 Like

Looks like 05A is a thing. Apart from really solidly fixed in axles, what else would you guys like to see in a 05A model fixie?

3 Likes

A matching counterweight

3 Likes

As I’ve heard @DocPop state, and agree with as well, pull starts are a must have- so some dimples.
I imagine his 2cents on this is more like a roll of quarters though😉.

1 Like

Not allowed unfortunately. Maybe the bags can have a large decorative drawstring bead though…

4 Likes

Hmmmm a large decorative bead with a bearing embedded…

3 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinner!

A capital idea!

1 Like

In terms of yoyo design though, are there any particular characteristics in a fixed axle that work well for 05A?

1 Like

I feel like typical characteristics of the two styles are kinda conflicting. High inner walls for flips- 0a. Wide catch zone-5a.
But 0-5a is different.
The feeling of the proper style mechanics of 0a paired with the juggling of 5a. Like a weird oxymoron. It’s hard to put my finger on…

1 Like

Pull starts are life!

PS, I’m really enjoying Kyle’s fixie yo-yo. Great job on that one, Glen!

5 Likes

I thought that’s was only for 42 more days.

http://5ayoyo.com/

4 Likes

Oh wow, I thought we still had like 100+

2 Likes

Thanks, @DocPop! You should maybe also try a Ballsy. The Snowball we were going to make was based on that one and it also has a pull-start dimple.

2 Likes

Killing time at work today.

7 Likes

In my little 5-0A experience, counterweights that are just a bit lighter than you standard duncan dice are preferred, so a wooden one thats around 10g would be awesome. Aside from that, a yoyo like the Knack is perfect for 5-0A.

3 Likes

My favorite thing about fixed-axle 5A was probably snap starts. Snap start with the CW hanging, grab it as it winds up, and transition into a throw. So satisfying for some reason.

Back to regular fixed-axle today with my freshly epoxied Knack!

3 Likes

Absolutely 100% agree

This pandemeic had me all flustered and I ALMOST took an unresponsive titanium to work on a Friday like an IDIOT.

Swapped out for the Ballsy on my way out the door.

3 Likes

Happy Fixed Axle Friday, like most of you I’m in social isolation. Wanted to get back on my thoughts of the Zipline Cottons. I’ve only had to used one of them so far, the Reg V86.2 and it lasted all week and was still going strong today even though its rather flat now. I started play on it with a maple TMBR Irving 2019 and it went all day, initially it played stiffer than YYE Type-10 and gave Irving a nice consistent feel throughout the day. Then I decided to play it on my Deep State on Saturday and this was where the Zipline Cottons now had me sold, it plays great with the OD response pads and just had a great feel you don’t get with poly and I played this set up extensively all week trying to push this string. It held tension great and held nice open loops for kickflips and I was also able to do regular suicides as well. I went and played it on my Spintastics Manta Ray this morning and still had plenty of strength and passed my axle pull test still without breaking. These may become the new hot OA strings to come once they get out of the prototype stage. Awesome work @jeremypark :+1: looking forward to future releases and more Cotton Drops.

Comparison when I starter last week; YYE Type 10 on top and ZL V86.2 on the Bottom

After a week; YYE Typ 10 on Top and ZL V86.2 on the Bottom

ZL V86.2 after a week compared with itself; week old on top new on the bottom

Spintastics Manta Ray

8 Likes