Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Those ehs look amazing. Collin sure knows how to spin up a fixed axle yoyo.

4 Likes

Just testing out a revamped Harbinger. I’ve been working with a prominent fixed axle player to get the Harbinger tuned to perfection (or at least as close as possible). It’s a little more curvier and has some gap and response tweaks.

13 Likes

11 Likes

@Glenacius_K Stop. I really need to save my money. You are making it incredibly difficult. Do you have a gallery or portfolio site somewhere we can check out? I know you’re not selling on a website or anything, but it would be nice to see all your stuff in once place.

@pmdon That thing looks like it has some history behind it! Never got around to owning an SB or SB2. How’s it hold up to other modern responsiv/fixed throws?

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s been with me for while. And it was the last throw to go in the box in the early 2000’s when I stopped playing, and the first back out when I started up again this year. As far is it’s history, when I got it I had been looking for an original Silver Bullet for a few years with no luck and new ones weren’t being made back then. I was reasonably active in the online yoyo community, and knew some folks, so when Chuck Short found a stash of SBs in storage at TK (as I recall), he asked me if I wanted one. I don’t even remember what I paid for it, I was so happy to have finally found one, and a brand new one, at that. He sent me one, but the gap was so narrow I had a hard time playing it. So I sent it back, and Chuck checked it out for me, and replaced the axle sleeve with a longer one. Then he went through and played a bunch of additional axles, found good ones, and sent those to me along with signed personal note, that I still have. I can’t do a comparison to the modern responsive stuff, since I haven’t had a chance to play them yet, but maybe someone (@edhaponik?) would be willing to help with that. I will say that I’ve never owned anything else that plays quite like it.

4 Likes
7 Likes

any good recommendations for wood fixed axle? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any of the below pending on budget. Lots of wood options out there as well on the BST and auction sites if you want to go No Jive or BC/ What’s Next. Duncan Butterflys can also be found at a lot of big box stores as an honorable mention.

5 Likes

thanks @Exmime!!

1 Like

Absolutely! nice top btw!

1 Like

THANKS!!! These days I’m throwing the ‘steel tip’ version of it with a ‘big’ string instead of a thin string :slight_smile: Big string being 12 strand of cotton 10 instead of 8… I find it help managing Upside down tricks easier…

Google Photos

3 Likes

oh ok that’s cool!!

1 Like

This Friday I don’t need a YouTube reviewer to tell me how good the TMBR EHKNOWN is, for some may never know. TMBR magic again and of course for strung up with the best 100% cotton YYE Type-10 strings

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

18 Likes

How is it on fingerspins and thumb grinds?

8 Likes

Little tricky for my skill level, but I can tape measure at least.

3 Likes

Will you accept finger STALLS lol? I’m playing an oak Carlson w some of Colin’s proto caps. More for pull-starts than spins, but super fun.

IMG_3318 IMG_3321

15 Likes

Those look awesome! But… how do you tighten them without the groove?

2 Likes

My comment was a joke based on another thread :joy:

Was talking to Colin about those caps a little while ago, can’t wait to get a set, have a lot of ideas for them!

3 Likes

Well the set I have is really tight. No idea how that would change as I unscrewed it over and over. I really can set one side and just tighten the whole thing and it stays perfectly. But I don’t want to experiment with it and mess up that balance!

3 Likes

don’t have a fixed axle gonna try to run by the dollar tree and grab one there they have decent fixies or at least until i can get my hands on a wooden one lol

2 Likes