Fixed Axle Friday Throws

The Fixie February rotation for me. I’m weird and just want to play on metal axles with poly. Maybe I just haven’t tried a wood axle yoyo that I’ve clicked with yet, but metal axles feel like home.

21 Likes

That Thick-Wing looks sweet, its in the same colorway as my Lace-Wing.

16 Likes

Got this in the mail today. Honestly i love these BC Apollo style, possibly my favorite Fixie of the month.

24 Likes

My school throw today!

17 Likes

36g Maple and Ironwood yoyo by @RC_yo-yo.
Feels delicate on the string but so far has been sturdy. Fun for stall tricks, I’ve been particularly drawn to dumptrucks, kickflips and practicing snap starts on it.

Its also very pretty.

21 Likes

Right now, this is all I have for fixed axle, that I didn’t make.

I just started throwing 0a at the beginning of Feb. Hoping to win the EH. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
So far I have Kickflip, bird, shoot the moon. And about half of zipper stalls.
I think I may run out of time.

Can I ask, what length string do you guys use for 0a?
Thanks.

18 Likes

If you’ve got those tricks down and it’s only the 11th! I’d say you’ll get there!

Personally I like it shorter, around waist length, I’m 6"4. A couple inches longer than what I use for 2A which is 30 inches. Feels like it gives me more control.

3 Likes

36g WoW! Like delicate little bird. Very cool.

2 Likes

Belt Height instead of Belly Button height. Few inches shorter than what I do for unresponsive 1A, but longer than a 2A set up.

5 Likes

I’m getting in the Valentine’s spirit with a red themed Fixed Axle Friday. I’ve got a lot of fun fixies to enjoy today.

I’m really loving the Smokey the Bear fixie. It’s got a really nice shape and weight. I haven’t found any information on this yo-yo online so if you know where it came from, please let me know.

20 Likes

Just barely survivaling today.

21 Likes

The Legend Wings are great, especially at the price. And kudos on those tricks. I’m kind of slow so I run out of spin when I try Split the Atom and even Brain Twister.

5 Likes

Speaking of budget friendly throws here’s a Woddy that is also really great for the price. 12 days no bearings and i have learned more 0A in these 12 days then the last 2 years. Im deff down with fixed Fridays and fixed February from now on.
I named the combo Turtle Dumps because there wasn’t much TURBO in it but maybe in a few weeks I’ll have it much faster. Fixed repeaters are very satisfying.

21 Likes

16 Likes

I was hoping that I might be able learn all the 0a tricks and enter to win that EH.
The Kickflip, zippers stalls, even shoot the moon was achievable, but not split the atom.
I cannot get my Legend wing to sleep for more than a few seconds, and as soon as it’s in split bottom mount it’s got a second or so and thats it.

I don’t want to blame it on the yoyo, but I see no way to increase the spin to get through the whole trick.

I will continue to try and land all the other tricks, as I am really enjoying learning 0a. It took what I thought was an almost unusable yoyo, and made it fun, and showed me more of what is possible with a fixed axle.

But I don’t see any way to land all 7 before the end of the month.

10 Likes

Keep going - sometimes things just click after a while. That’s how it was for shoot the moon for me

2 Likes

The more you play the Legend Wing the more they break-in and get smoother, faster and spin longer. Also through play you’ll learn its subtleties and know how to push it. Just keep playing and have fun.

11 Likes

Thanks guys, for the encouragement. It really helped.
The legend is breaking in and sleeping longer. I was able to get

3 Likes

Oops pressed reply too soon sorry.
I can get to splint bottom mount and the next move of split the atom, but then it dies instantly.
That was with a cotton 10. So I made two thinner cotton strings today, and that helps as well.
I have at least a 5 or 6 sec sleep now. So it’s improving.
Also I am eating through a string a day. I have to assume that’s fairly normal?
Having the wood spinning against the thread, it has to wear out.
I might make all 7 on film but the clock is ticking.

6 Likes

On my Legend Wing I was chewing through a YYE colored cotton string every other day. I have a piece of Slick 6 on there now just to see if it lasts better and it seems like it is.

2 Likes