Fixed Axle Friday Throws

This morning someone liked a post that I made in this thread in Dec 2022 and I realized that it was time to honour this guy.
Meet Blueberry :blueberries: - aptly named because it looks like a blueberry and also they are my son’s favourite food.

I posted this photo of it in Dec 2022 when I was starting to experiment with setting it up as a fixed-axle:

I have since optimized this setup and this trusty yoyo is in my pocket every day and goes with me everywhere. It’s more than a yoyo to me, it’s also my worry stone - I hold it (or play it) anytime I’m anxious or thinking through a problem. It’s smooth curves are so satisfying to hold.

It has survived being sat on (lots), dropped, an accidental walk on the concrete sidewalk, and at least 300 hours of play over the last year. It still has lots of journeying left to do… You’ll notice that I have worn most of the blast off. Interestingly there seems to be a salmon pink layer under the blue that is wearing through causing it to be more of a blurple now and aptly it looks even more like a blueberry. :blueberries:

Overall the RBC is a great all around modern responsive and makes a highly reliable fixie. As an all-arounder it loops pretty well and stalls pretty well. That said, it can still be challenging to catch on a stall due to its shape and proportions. I enjoy the challenge.
The RBC will likely always be a top carrier for me but I’m looking forward to @Glenacius_K and @MarkD’s next project, the metal Harbinger, which is currently expected to come out next month. With a larger diameter and narrower width compared to the RBC, I expect it to be a stall machine. :slight_smile: And you all know I’m a nerd, I’m totally going to play it as a fixie (even if it annoys Glen :upside_down_face:).

26 Likes