Fixed Axle FeHbruary! (Win a DeHcade)

Well done!

1 Like

Haven’t missed a day of fixie since the 1st of the year. But there’s no way I will be able to hit split the atom, anytime there is a string layer it catches. But still fun!

12 Likes

Here’s my submission. FAF DeHcade challenge - YouTube

10 Likes

You could try adjusting the gap a bit wider. Even if the gap at the axle is the same, it’ll still help a little bit to widen the gap between the halves.

4 Likes

Man, I thought Bird was going to be the death of me! :joy:

While practicing I thought I would just put the yoyo on my finger just to see how it felt trying to balance it, though I realized (at least with my yoyo in particular) as long as it was positioned in the right spot it wasn’t that hard to get the balancing down. That narrowed down what I was focusing on dramatically, then just trying to throw it from the stall to my finger aiming for that spot. A tutorial I used (I believe Ed’s?) mentioned giving the yoyo a bit of a spin when you flip it so it stays on plane, that helped a lot too. The first time I got it was a bind blower, and I said to myself “Why am I not filming this?!?” The second time I hit it was what I used in my entry, that’s why I was super excited, haha.

One I actually thought would be easy but turned out to be kinda difficult was the zipper stalls, as I had been doing those elements though not three in a row. It got sloppy real fast while I was working on them!

A bit of a ramble there, I thought I’d give a reflection on part of my progress getting all the tricks down.

13 Likes

Here’s mine. Let me know if I did all of these right!

FAF 2022

11 Likes

Seriously. It seems a little sad how many tricks have become “impossible” on fixed axle and responsive over the years since unresponsive started to dominate things, but these crazy kids show how it is done.

7 Likes

Something about how you have to have almost mastered a trick to hit it on a fixie at all is so stupidly impressive. You can learn basic tricks like split the atom or roller coaster with almost no effort on an unresponsive, but you have to work so hard if you wanna hit those on a butterfly.

8 Likes

Challenging and satisfying.

All 7 here:
https://youtu.be/vUWTjErIpys Edit: I didn’t actually land Bird.

Spinworthy x MK1 RBC prototype with the bearing removed
Spinworthy Boon in tea tree

You can guess which one was the most difficult for me!

14 Likes

Nice job! edit: I took out a bunch of text because I felt like a tattletale! :rofl: I’ll let the judge be the judge.

I like the music!

I’m surprised how much spin you got on the RBC without a bearing!

edit:
I just tried mine like that and was able to do it! It plays well like that.

I’m going to have a harder time with some of the other tricks.

I might not understand the difference between bird and backhand balance and what I did. I’ll take a closer look!

1 Like

A bird perches…

3 Likes

Bird is just on the finger.

2 Likes

Bird lands on the ridge of the index finger.

Hope that helps

15 Likes

Got it, thank you!

1 Like

New and improved video with Bird.

Yoyos used:

Spinworthy Boon
Spinworthy John Smith
Spinworthy x MK1 RBC (Bearing removed)

10 Likes

So these have to be performed on a fixed axle to be eligible?

Or, I guess not, since I see Mark doing some on the RBC?

1 Like

I removed the bearing from my RBC, making it a fixed axle.

5 Likes

Yes fixed axle only

3 Likes