Fixed Axle February-WEEK 1

I’ve never really tried fixed axel, but spent about an hour working on the trapeze stall yesterday with a basic butterfly. It was starting to click, but my finger was way past starting to hurt from all the smacks. We’ll see how today goes.
I am intrigued though, it seems like a much more relaxed and calm way to play.

12 Likes

(@all__effort_no_skill on Instagram: "#fixedaxelfebruary #fixedaxlefebruaryweek1")
Excited to participate in my first fixed axle February

16 Likes

Hello :wave:

Here is my entry for week 1

Thank you Nate and Sponsors!

24 Likes

Very smoot and practiced. Nice!

3 Likes

I am throwing one of Mr. Erics Wildwood Gnomad. This is my first adventure into Fix Axel, let alone woddies.

I “Feel” that I need the yoyo more responsive. My breakaways do not seem to be tug responsive.

Please give me some tips to increase responsiveness?

Currently set up with YYE cotton string. (Had a axel knot that I had to cut out on the original string.)

Thank You

11 Likes

A little more string tension may help. Throw a sidewinder or ufo to tighten the string a bit

3 Likes

I got one of his other gnomads, slap some chapstick on the end of the string(the part that touches the axle while sleeping) it should be responsive, mine has perfect response with a kotn se when doing this. I hope this helps

3 Likes

To increase the string tension (technically the torsion :nerd_face:), you can just spin the yoyo while it hangs loose to make the string tighter.

If you play that way for a few minutes, the new string should start to “grab” the axle and you can return the string to neutral tension. Chapstick just speeds up that break-in process.

I had to break in a new string last night and it just takes a minute sometimes.

6 Likes

I also really like doing “planet hops” to break in a string

9 Likes

:point_up:This is key

5 Likes

Thank you for all the replies. To add insult to injury, I am a South Paw. Aledgedly, every time I throw, it reduces torsion.

I will try some of the above suggestions.

Planet hops looks amazing, but I am not there yet. Total Noob. Added to the goal for Fixed Axel February!

A excuse to order some Zipline… oh darn.

I really appreciate the support!

5 Likes

Gonna wanna do a lot of sidewinders

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this video. It will be a new skill for me.

2 Likes

Im a lefty too, you get used to it… my submission for this week

this is a half-swapped new Duncan psychadelic butterfly.

22 Likes

My entry to week one

18 Likes

If planet hops are too difficult for anyone, repeated gravity pulls will also help get cotton string to meld with a wood axle.

You will also need to do a sidewinder to adjust the string tension after a few throws.

8 Likes

When I break in a new string I find it useful to pinch wind the yoyo to see where it’s at. When winding you pinch the string about 2-3 inches from the yoyo until it catches. Then ease up on the pinch and finish the wind. Usually this will be the tension the string performs best at the current state so play it for a bit until you need to lessen the tension. With newer strings this will produce a significant amount of tension and as the string conforms the pinch will become unnecessary and it will wind as soon as you start. This will tell you the string is ready. Then I do a stop and go and a 2.0 to make sure.

5 Likes

I am still trying to determine which sidewinder I need to do as a lefty.

Throw sleeper… Do I do the sidewinder on the outside of my body (Yoyo to the left, slack to the center of my body) or inside (Yoyo to the center of my body, slack to my Throw hand ((Left Hand))).

I lf I need to make a new noob thread, let me know. But I feel it is relevant here?

1 Like

Regardless of which hand you throw, if your sidewinder has your hand left of the throw, it loosens tension. Just like a screwdriver. Righty tighty, lefty loosie.

3 Likes

That helps a lot!

So I want to have the yoyo to the left, outside of my throw hand (left) to increase string torsion.

2 Likes