Finally got a Cold Fusion

I’m about 6 months into getting back into throwing after a 22 year hiatus and I finally, FINALLY got my hands on a Cold Fusion- the yo-yo I was dying to try more than any other in the late 90s. I was lucky and was able to find one unopened/unused from after Duncan acquired playmaxx, and didn’t have to pay a ridiculous price for it.

It has not disappointed. I’ve played it for about 4 hours straight since I came home from work. The bearing definitly corroded a bit but I oiled it up slightly and threw about 100 strong sleepers and now it’s a little more normal feeling.

I can see why this yo-yo was all the rage. It is very fast and powerful, snappier than a silver bullet 2, handles string tricks very well, and just feels excellent in general. Bouncy, strong, and beautiful!

I just have a few general questions for the community:

Has anyone here ever modded a Cold Fusion? Like maybe tried to increase the gap width or anything?

Does anyone happen to know the exact model/manufacturer of the original bearing?

Does anybody have any advice as to how to get the most mileage out of the Cold Fusion, any potential weak spots etc?

And- what exactly is the purpose of the end caps that screw off?

Also I’d love to just hear some general thoughts, discussion, and memories about the Cold Fusion from the community.

Love you guys! Keep on throwin! :+1::sunglasses::+1:

10 Likes

Like maybe tried to increase the gap width or anything?

You can, and I have, try some shims to tweak the gap but I don’t recall anything that I’d call an improvement.

Does anybody have any advice as to how to get the most mileage out of the Cold Fusion, any potential weak spots etc?

Are the cork pads (BPT) still available ? These wear and chunk at the edges so you need replacements.

And- what exactly is the purpose of the end caps that screw off?

Style, baby.

For anyone who loved the Turbo Bumble Bee - and didn’t we all at the time ? - the CF was the next step, the evolution. Very desirable, quite exclusive, too much money with the tin o’ extras. Not entirely sure if it actually played that much better than the plastic but it felt more of an occasion.

8 Likes

Awesome. Show it off. Cold fusion was the first yoyo I saved up for and bought with my own money. I’ve beaten mine up pretty well. I loved it. It felt so cool. I still have mine, and I haven’t ever modified it, so I wouldn’t know about that.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to find any except bundled with the old bumblebees and cold fusions that people try to sell. I haven’t changed mine in so many miles. I wonder what it would be like with new pads. It still seems to play fine.

2 Likes

Duncan used to do a “Ball-Bearing Yo-Yo Parts Kit” (#3144PK) that had a variety of spacers/bearing seats for the acquired-from-Playmaxx line (and derivatives). I think some of these came with the CF tin.

I have a pile o’ BPT pads and a cluster of the black and yellow strings.

4 Likes

I added the ProMod Z spacers to my Raw Fusion.

It hasn’t got much love lately since I am currently working on learning finger spins.

6 Likes

Uploading: 6C309FAE-9249-46EB-9061-C6F7AAF28D8D.jpeg…
Processing: 6688A5C9-5643-4F82-A374-C1250808D2F7.jpeg…
Uploading: B001CB4D-39E5-428F-9951-05A9F83D9093.jpeg…

I thought while we’re waiting for those pictures to load… :slightly_smiling_face: I’d take mine for a spin. I’d forgotten what a picky little sod it can be with new pads and string. They take a while to settle down and stop trying to hurt you. Mine is from the copyright infringement settlement production run so came loose without the goodies inna tin. It still plays like the ultimate expression of that style of yoyo. It does what it does very well, just maybe limit those expectations.

To be played only over carpet :wink:

7 Likes

Nice! I’ll try to post mine again. Mine is an all-black color model.

5 Likes

6 Likes

It’s a saucy little thing, no matter the colour or manufacturer.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s the Duncan version. Was that any different on the inside or anything?
Also, now you have tried them both, so what do you think of this and the new bumblebee?

1 Like

As far as I know, the only difference with the Duncan model is the logos on it, and what was included in the tin. I believe Duncan just acquired all of Playmaxxs cold fusion parts and then anodized them in various ways and stopped selling them once they ran out, so all the Duncan Cold Fusions are really just Playmaxx Cold Fusions (which were manufactured by Custom inc.)

3 Likes

Oh and as to the question about the new bumble bee- so that new Bimetal bumble bee did grow on me a good bit, but this is way better. The new bumble bee is too heavy, it doesn’t have a “sharp” quick or precise feel to it. The cold fusion does. It’s a shame they didn’t just do a straight up Cold Fusion re-release. But I guess that makes these old babies all the cooler.

1 Like

I know what you mean. The bumblebee is heavy.

1 Like

I learned a ton of tricks on cold fusion. I had quite a bond with mine when I got it years ago. At the time, it was arguably the best. It still feels like itself even after having played with modern yoyos that outperform it in many ways. I’ll always have mine in my collection. I saved a lot of money as a kid to get one. I had a bumblebee gt and a fireball that I used and loved to hell and back, and I’d tried a few others, and most yoyos were plastic or wood then. Most yoyos I get now are metal, but it wasn’t so common when this came out. I’ll always be fond of it, and I’m glad you get to try one for yourselves when you do.

Scars and all. Still being wonderful.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried one. When my folks helped me get a Turbo Bumblebee GT at 14, it was the end all be all. It took away the want to get a Cold Fusion.

I did get a yoyofactory Confusion a while back that was wonderful and while I can’t say if it is similar as I haven’t tried the Cold Fusion, I think it may be (if anyone can weigh in, please do.)

Don’t get me started on the Superyo Samurai, that thing was an eye catcher I want to get some day for the nostalgia.

1 Like

Confusion is my favorite yoyofactory yoyo. I think it’s pretty great. I fully enjoy mine. It’s definitely a little different, and it has its similarities, too. The shape is different, and it feels different to throw around. Really cool yoyo, but I don’t know if it feels the same way to me. If you’re looking to try a cold fusion and can’t find one, you’ll find something fun picking up a confusion, so you might not be disappointed in your joy, but you still haven’t found the cold fusion.

1 Like

Thank you.

Regens with break pads is where it’s at.

1 Like

Confusion is the one I keep on the holder. I take it lots of places. I never got to try their zodiac yoyo. I think that was the one that looked similar. I suppose confusion might be the closest recommendation I’d give to someone who loved their old bumblebees and cold fusions.

2 Likes