Finally got a Cold Fusion

I’m often quite happy that I learned so much with my cold fusion as a tool. I don’t have to complain as much as some people about their yoyos and their various small shortcomings because I loved something special about it enough to want to learn to overcome. I was patient and knew it was possible to land tricks. The yoyo excelled at what it excelled at and asked me for a little guidance and skill.

I can relate, my first yoyo was a Duncan Butterfly and I patiently learned double or nothing as split the atom on it. No such thing as a bad yoyo after that experience.

3 Likes

Three of a kind. I’ll take the CF for play, the SB-2 for quality and the AXL for… value for money.

(note to self: you need to dust the place)

6 Likes

Steve Brown once said the Cherry Bomb was the spiritual successor to the Cold Fusion and that the Moonshine was the spiritual successor to the Cherry Bomb in his opinion. Unsure if he still feels the same way, but I will say I absolutely love the OG Moonshine and would recommend finding one.

Cold Fusion ----> Cherry Bomb ----> Moonshine

2 Likes

Thanks for the anecdote. I’m interested! I have yet to look into those. I don’t remember them from back in the day. But I grew up in the middle of nowhere and there wasn’t really anybody I knew that was serious about yo-yos.

Also- that’s awesome you got your chops on a duncan butterfly. Your one bad mamma jamma

1 Like

I love the comparison here. I own 3 SB-2s, all 1998s. The tortoise, the gold, and the red. I love them dearly. They are noisy as hell but man they are fun. I never got to try one with friction stickers though. I’d imagine that would be fun, becuase you could get away with a wider gap width.

I havnt gotten to try an AXL yet but I’d like to.

I just got a Black Mamba Steel off eBay delivered today for like 12 bucks. It kind of sucks lol.

I’m on a mission to collect every high end metal “modified” shape yo-yo from the late 90s.

I love a good yo-yo with “love marks”. Kind of similar to a well played vintage guitar.

1 Like

Love the cold fusion. Don’t play it enough, but whenever I do the ace II has to get in the rotation too.

4 Likes

I almost picked up an Ace a few months ago, same color, but somebody outbid me to a crazy number

1 Like

Do you recall how high the bidding went?

I’m hazy on it but I think that when I initially bid on it, it was like 40 bucks, then it shot up to like 140 and I ducked out of there.

1 Like

How does the Ace II play?

If I had more in the bank at the time I probably would have grabbed it, becuase now I realize those don’t get listed very often by the way it looks.

Wow the yo-yo prices are getting crazy. I think I paid 25 bucks for that thing. But that was a good while ago. Lol

2 Likes

Yeah they are getting nuts man… I had to pay 295 for this cold fusion. It was totally new and unopened/unused though which was cool… but also it’s the Duncan later years of it so I feel like that’s a high price. But damn I don’t think I’ve seen any cold fusion go for less than 400+ in the last 6 months on eBay. And some of them are heavily used.

Yeah 295 feels like a pretty good price since every time I see them they are way higher than that. Hope to get my hands on the cold fusion GT one day but I don’t know if I’ll be able to afford it. Can’t imagine what they’re asking for one of those. Plus I haven’t seen one up in a few years.

1 Like

I have an unopened Bumblebee GT on the way soon I’m stoked about. Never played one. Got that for 80 which felt like a steal. The prices on bumble bees are nuts too. I see a bunch of scuffed up used ones starting the bid at like 150 lol crazy.

Maybe I should move all my money out of the stock market and into vintage throws. I guess that’s kind of what I’m actively doing actually. Lol. Not the best investment strategy. But more fun.

Holy crap you’re blowing my mind. $80!!! Well enjoy, it’s a fun yo-yo. And apparently it’s like having gold in the bank.

1 Like

Confusion was a very similar profile to the cold fusion gt. Same for the timco Starfire.

4 Likes

The aceII is a fun little yo-yo. It has the cork brake pads so similar to the cold fusion. Got a bit of a wider body like the GT but still a tiny gap. It’s challenging.

1 Like

One more thing I want to mention- the finish/anodization on the cold fusion. It is unlike any of my other metal yo-yos. There is something about it that reminds me of enamel paint on a sports car. I love that. A subtle unique feel