Modern ColdFusion?

What I’m looking for is something that feels more like a modern cold fusion, if any of you have played with one it was a pretty good responsive yo-yo, the two that keep popping up in the threads I have read, Deep State, and Alley Cat650b, any others with that slim pocket feel?

1 Like

This is pretty close to what you’re looking for.

6 Likes

The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the size A bearing.

1 Like

I mean, the Cold Fusion was an A bearing yoyo. The Confusion is probably one of the best responsive yoyos out there right now. If you’re looking for something still slim but more unresponsive, the Tim Cor Starfire and Rain City Skills Gamer were heavily based off the Cold Fusion. The Monkey Finger Forte is good too.

8 Likes

That is true, it was, but having the size C kinda makes bearing choice a lot wider

2 Likes

The Gamer is a C size bearing, comes with slim and wide bearings for responsive or unresponsive play.

1 Like

Are the slim bearings hard to come by?

1 Like

No not particularly. You can get them on Yoyo Expert.

2 Likes

Ok here’s my plan I’m going to get a deep state and a gamer, I like how narrow the deep state is and at the same time I like the idea of being able to swap out between responsive and unresponsive play

2 Likes

Ehhhh, the Deep State is a good responsive yoyo, but I’d argue because of the more narrow gap, it wouldn’t be great for unresponsive. The Deep State has the bearing a bit more recessed aka deeper than your usual unresponsive, so can’t take as many layers of string. If you’re looking for something that can swap inbetween unresponsive and responsive better, the previously mentioned yoyos have a full sized gap with a full C bearing, and half bearings are pretty common too.

2 Likes

I have the Gamer, 650b, and a Deep State. It is hard to determine which you will like best. The 650b and Deep State play in a similar responsive way. The 650b may play a bit more like a fixed axle feel, perhaps the narrow bearing. The Deep State is it’s own semi-responsive. Quite a favorite of mine. The Gamer can swap out either bearing and be fun.

So I would say you are making a good choice picking the Gamer and Deep State.

3 Likes

I also did not realize how narrow width wise the gamer was.

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound like you’re really looking for a “modern cold fusion”. Cold Fusion was narrow (29mm) and had an A bearing.

The closest you’re going to find is the YYF Confusion. Updated to use pads, can be setup responsive or unresponsive.

If you want to move to a C bearing the Gamer or the TimCor Starfire 2 are the closest in feel and play. C bearings in both, both can be setup responsive. BUT the Gamer is 33.9mm wide and the Starfire is 33.52mm wide. If that is still too narrow for you, you’re probably not looking for something like the Cold Fusion.

9 Likes

Not that it’s too narrow, just that I feel the c sized bearing is more readily available.

1 Like

Then I’d highly suggest the Timcor Starfire 2

4 Likes

Man that one is tempting, like really tempting.

1 Like

Lifted from another topic…

Thoughts on the confusion…

The size and shape feel good in the hand. The weight is generally good. It plays very responsive and will bite you if you’re not careful. Over all I like how it plays. The size and shape are similar to the FH2, and look very much like the cold fusion GT. Given it’s heritage I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a fairly close repro. The description says it is a throw back to the old do everything yoyo - string tricks and loops. As noted, it plays responsive so on string tricks you have to be pretty much dead on, and it won’t take too many string layers (like 2) before it grabs. As for looping, it is capable, but my feeling is that it’s a bit heavy and feels like it’s going to come off the end of the string, but maybe that’s due to my looping style. I felt the same way about the BC laminated models, just a bit too heavy to comfortably loop.

6 Likes

The Confusion is awesome. As far as shaping goes of the regular Confusion (not the GT), the shape is nearly identical to a Duncan Dragonfly/Turbo Bumble Bee GT…and if memory serves me right, the TBBGT was the same shape as the Cold Fusion GT.

Plus, what’s not to love about a half-swapped Confusion?
46 Likes, 0 Comments - @angrygumball on Instagram: “#TodaysThrow - the @yoyofactory Confusion. I deliberately did the half swap for that nostalgic gold…”

In the end, it all depends on what types of tricks you want to do with it. It got me into exploring modern responsive and have learned several things with it including shooting the moon. You can dial in your responsiveness by adding an extra wrap (which I tend to do). It does have a very powerful feel to it for a responsive setup so play carefully!

8 Likes

Where can I get me one of these now a days haaha

2 Likes

on the BST, used they can be had for about $20-$25

3 Likes