Favorite Yo-yo Manufacturer?

I think there are more then 2 machine shops making yoyos. OD AND FPM are probably the big ones (MYY im pretty sure has a shop, and yoyo empire) but i believe MonkeyfingeR and ZeroGravity use other manufactures non that i mentioned. I’m also pretty sure that most companies don’t want anyone to know who’s making the yoyos for them, unless they can claim OD made in the U.S.A (which is a draw for some). I may be wrong.

Edit apologize for misunderstanding the comment. I was genuinely surprised when i found out there where more machine shops still making yoyos then od and fpm.

4 Likes

C3 for me.

5 Likes

…I never said there was only 2? Well aware there are several more, the prompt was asking for our favorite…

3 Likes

I’m going to piggy back on this comment and say I’ve been kind of curious about this as well.

It’s not like it really matters too much in the grand scheme, but TP does experiment with so many strange designs that it’d be interesting to know which shops actually had to invest in the tooling and time require to figure out the processes to make their stuff. It can’t be FPM because it seemed like FPM was experimenting with magnesium for the first time on the Cloud Strike, where TP’s machine shop probably has a ton of experience under their belt with magnesium at this point.

3 Likes

It’s FPM!

2 Likes

Is it? Yoyofriends’ write up on the Cloud Strike had me assume it couldn’t have been FPM since TP has worked with mg so much in the past, unless TP used a different shop for their mg models.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that pretty much every Japanese company sans hydrangea uses FPM. Could be wrong tho!

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s an interesting little tidbit if that’s true. And yeah I’m pretty sure Hydrangea uses the same Japanese shop that Japan Tech still uses for a handful of models.

3 Likes

No they did not. Only thing I use FPM for is fusion series with Damian and our Black Friday Mystery Gift coming up

2 Likes

YYR has become my favorite company. Their designs continue to set the bar ever higher for performance. Although I enjoy the feel of various designs, as long as they don’t feel completely sterile (e.g. Draupnir and derivatives), performance contributes the most to my throwing enjoyment.

1 Like

Based purely on number of yoyos that I have, have coming in the mail, or just flat out want, it appears my “favorite” is Rain City Skills. Granted, this doesn’t account for how much I like or want a particular yoyo, but it’s by a pretty significant margin. Very odd … totally did not expect this.

2 Likes

I agree with this! Exactly how I feel

2 Likes

I couldn’t decide so I pulled the trigger and got both the panorama and the free solo :rofl: thanks for the heads up

3 Likes

Based on the number I own, One Drop: Fat Tire, Top Deck, Intro, Deeper State, Silouhette, Panorama, Rebirth, Vanguard, Legendary Terarrian, Lunar Eclipse, Kraken. Doesn’t mean I don’t love some other company’s yoyos but I do tend to throw One Drop the most often and when I do I know the yoyo is saying: “Aw, come on! You should be a lot better by now!” I just keep silent…

5 Likes

I sense a reboot of Pixar’s Toy Story.

4 Likes

I like any company that makes yoyos because the world needs yoyos.

That said, I think One Drop is the best overall. Of course they’re only making modern unresponsive mostly, so I can’t throw a OD fixie but I definitely would lol

A few months ago I would have probably said Duncan tbh. But unfortunately the company itself just doesn’t live up to the legacy anymore. I had a lot of trouble with ordering, customer service, etc.

I’ve ordered 3 One Drops this past month and each one shipped to my door in 2-3 days. And the quality is undisputable.

I love the stock bearings. If the OD bearings ever became available I would seriously swap them in a few of my non OD throws.

4 Likes

One drop are my machining partners. End of sentence. They will be the first to have the rocket widget. I love these guys. I’ve met them, given them things so rare that you just won’t know. The freaking machinist @The_Machinist put the only Horgan I ever got on his front porch and some numb nuts stole it. Now I don’t know how many of y’all have been to the planet Riza but I was there. There’s a great epic post on one drop forum where I offer the Horgan to anyone , however I’m now searching for the thief, and I’m find them also it’s kinda what I do. Anyway, one drop for the win. Also I was never here….

9 Likes

They must have been in great need of jamaharon.

1 Like

Favorite Manufactures that actually machine their own products?

One Drop
SPYY
ILYY
Foxland Precision

Favorite Company:
a-RT
One Drop

Mostly collect a-RT

I have been throwing for well over 20 years, and have thrown a lottttt of different stuff throughout the years, a-RT have all resonated with me the most in the recent years.
Helps that they’re mostly all machined by One Drop :smiley: (not allll, but most of their products are)

I have a One Drop tattoo on my right hand near my thumb. lol

7 Likes

That’s cool, got a pic of the tattoo?

Didn’t one drop have a deal where if you got the logo as a tattoo you got a free yoyo? Is that still a thing? And did you get a free yoyo?

6 Likes