Favorite Titanium?

1. Ti Walker
  2. Ti Dream
  3. YYR Seventh Heaven
  4. JT Rebira
6 Likes

I have the the Ricochet, Castle, Rook, and Fianchetto.

Not sure how I ended up with 75% being from 2SickYoYos?!

I haven’t played with the Ricochet lately, but I remember it as quite a lot of fun.

I love the Rook, it’s one of my favorites.

I was a bit disappointed with the Castle. I think it’s probably not fair to the Castle, as it might be different for a more skilled player. For me, I couldn’t discern much performance gain over the Rook. The bearing seats are rough and tight, because they wanted to assure they wouldn’t have many rejects for vibe. Plus the Rook actually grinds nice. I will say that my Rook does have a bit of vibe, but I guess that doesn’t really bother me too much. Also, don’t get me wrong, the Castle is an amazing yo-yo! To me it plays a lot like the Rook; which as I said is one of my favorites. I should have paid more attention to the specs, or I might have been able to predict that my $350 dollar purchase might be pretty similar to one I already owned.

I have to say that the Fianchetto must be my favorite, as it’s the one I play the most. I go between it and my Parlay as my EDC. Right now it’s the Fianchetto in my pocket- along with my Walnut Harbinger ;-).

6 Likes

Is the Seventh Heaven worth it’s price compared to other titaniums?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I must echo everyone else and say the Ti Walker.

Honorable mentions go to Luftverk’s Evora, but the design makes it a little TOO powerful, and for some reason, regardless of bearing and how worn the pads are, mine tends to be slightly responsive. Powerful yoyo + unexpected responsiveness = pain.

The Ti Peak is spectacular, but is a little too chunky to be #1 for me.

The uhh…‘Phallus Sprinter’ is like when you copy off your buddy’s homework and get a B- while he aces it.

5 Likes

I wondered how that played in comparison to the original. I thought about trying to find one but I take your opinion as expert.

(and clever name disguise lol)

2 Likes

Turning Point Cetus is amazing, I want to try a TI Cadence as well

4 Likes

Best will be soo subjective as there are so many shapes, sizes and weights.
I have not tried the ti walker or the citizen, But I was shocked at how nice the Vosun U1 Tips was for a ‘budget’ Ti. Crazy stable. Must be really rim weighted that I like.
Sovereign is excellent for its size, But I feel its lacking in something.
Scored a DR on the BST and its amazing, very similar to the Ti Hawk that’s just amazing.
Peak was it 3rd run? has been a top yoyo IMO for me and to snag a ti Peak is even better.
I’d say Ti Peak, Hawk, DR, Tips, 000 are my favorites hands down. But as stated, Not seen all the others.
And hard to say one is ‘better’ that the other, just different.

3 Likes

This thread is making me remember that I have to get a TiWalker at some point.

3 Likes

Did everyone forget about the Aurora or was I the only one who liked it?

3 Likes

Oh yeah! Aurora had been my favorite hands down for years. Still a top contender.

Like an old friend

3 Likes

I totally missed the drop of the Luftverk 000. I just don’t do much following on various social media sites. So I miss a lot of stuff.

I think less than fifty 000’s were released?

Haven’t seen any come up for sale. That in itself; says something🤓

I have never tried a Ti Peak or a Too Sick Ti yoyo or a Turning point Ti or a Seventh Heaven, etc.

So anything I said regarding my personal opinion; I have little or no spin time with any Ti yo-yos other than the ones I own.

It is very possible that there ‘is’ a Ti yoyo that I would actually like better than a Ti Walker.

But I may never know.

4 Likes

Well a while back you said that the JT Ribira was the best titanium yoyo you’d ever used. Shortly after that, when the Frost was released, you said that was the best one you’d ever used. A little while after that, you said thay the TR Lotus was the best titanium yoyo you’d ever used.

4 Likes

Not sure any yo-yo is worth the $700 price-tag that this Japanese export came with. This is from the days before Titanium yo-yo’s were made in China. That said, it is a Titanium Sleipnir; so it plays like the Sleipnir with superior performance. That makes it both awesome and unique. I offered it to someone for $800 and got no replies; so the value is clearly subjective.

4 Likes

I have no problem with anything you stated that I related to you.

First impressions can obviously change over time. Each of those 3 yo-yos you mentioned had very positive receptions by me. And I still have those 3 yo-yos. And still throw those 3 yo-yos.

I try to keep from letting any dust settle on my Ti yo-yos. So I throw a series of 3 or 4 in a row; when I have an hour here and there. 10 or 15 minutes with one and then another, etc.

Most interestingly; whichever several Ti yo-yos I set on the table; Almost without hesitation; a Ti Walker is almost always one of the mix. And it is almost always the one I play with the longest.

I don’t feel it unusual at all that as my longer term impressions of various Ti yo-yos changed; I never gave any thoughts to ‘updating you’ on my evolving impressions.

Especially since you pretty much seemed to be shifting your focus to wooden yo-yos. At the time I bought your Frost; I felt your interest in yoyos had changed to termite food. There didn’t seem to be any purpose to ‘share’ updates with anyone; much less someone who wasn’t even asking for long term impressions.

I happen to like the REX and the Dazzler even better than the: Frost, Ribira or Lutus.

The REX has to be the most under-recognized high performance Ti yoyo I have ever had.

…But regardless of opinions based on any length of use; if I had to sell(for whatever reason) everyone of my Ti yo-yos except two; the yoyos I would not sell would be my Ti Walker(s).

I do not have a ‘bad’ playing Ti yoyo.

But I do have a ‘best’ Playing Ti yoyo. The Ti Walker.

Sure glad I have 2.

8 Likes

I’ve never considered that I work with ‘termite food’ but that’s accurate enough.

I actually still have a great interest in metal yoyos and I would still buy them regularly if I had the money. These days, most of my expendable income is purely from whatever I manage to sell on the BST which gets poured into improving the tools and workflow of my workshop.

5 Likes

I am pretty sure that most of the current Forum members have zero idea I started modding yo-yos 20 years ago. Not that amounts to much now. I am just an old guy that still messes with yo-yos.

I never attempted to make a buck doing custom stuff. I am not anywhere near a high playing level. And there are current yoyo modders that no doubt could run circles around me in their sleep. And I have great respect for every single one of them. Even the guys that make their own string are hero’s to me.

I pretty much phased my own modding adventures down. But don’t think for a second that I don’t fiddle with stuff in my shop.

Back when I won 3 consecutive World Yoyo Modding Contests; I still take that with a grain of salt because those were the first 3 years of that Division at Worlds. I have no doubt that there were at least a few hard core modders that could have kicked my butt… but just didn’t enter the Contest in the years that I won. Or didn’t even care to enter. Or didn’t even know about the World Modding Contest. I only won against the guys that entered. And; one of the most serious threats to me winning was Eric Wolff. And he could not compete for the most simple reason. He was the Head Judge of the Modding Contest. So I never got too impressed with myself because of that; way back then.

Now… in 2005; when I was presented with the National Achievement Award; they told me I received the Award in recognition of my contributions to helping advance the performance of yo-yos.

Still… nothing to do a backflip about; I guess. But at least some folks decided to let me know I was doing something worth the effort. That’s what they told me anyways🤓

So; I am right in the front row in appreciating ‘anybody that Mods anything with the faintest idea of making something better or different. Remember; before I ever cut up my first yoyo; I had already been a Custom car and Harley motorcycle painter for 20+ years. Customing yo-yos was just something else to customize. Hot rodding yo-yos is just an extension of my Modding tendencies.

I am not great at anything. I don’t intend to be. I don’t expect to be.

But I am pretty handy at tweaking things in the proper orientation.

And I usually have a pretty good idea what side of the number line others fall on.

Fact is stranger than fiction…

8 Likes

Who is classed as a ‘yoyo modder’? Is it simply someone who modifies yoyos, or someone who makes them, too?

2 Likes

Not sure how technical everybody wants to get?

Because I’ve made yoyos from scratch; too.

But I would have no problem assigning you to the Mod Squad.

1. You do things and 2 You do things to things.

Check out this rules link for the 2004 World Modding Contest. Towards the bottom; right above the Judges names. Read that information about made from scratch entries(accepted).

http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2004worlds/modrules.html

6 Likes

My Rook had been sitting in a box when this thread started, and it got me to dig it out. I tend to play with a few yo-yos almost exclusively for weeks at a time, so even some of my favorites might sit around for a while.

Playing it again, reminded me of how wonderful it is, regardless of material. The reason I came back to add to this discussion; while admittedly I have relatively little Ti exposure, is to add another reason I prefer the Rook to the Castle: The glorious sound it makes!!! I had forgotten about that…

So now I’ll say I can’t choose between the Rook and Fianchetto as favorite Ti. They are different enough to be “Apples to Oranges” anyway. Both are worth every penny to me.

5 Likes

If you can’t find a Ti Walker, it’s the next best thing, but you can feel that it’s a remake.

4 Likes