Electrical Contact cleaner = Smoothest bearing ever

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You stole my joke :frowning:

Suicide isn’t funny…But, if you were going to kill yourself, and really want to freak people out, you could glue your hands to your head, and then hang yourself with piano wire, that way when they find your body, it’ll look like you ripped your own head off! :smiley:

That sounds dangerous…

Only if you use too thick or thin gauge of piano wire.

Seriously, went through a family member offing himself recently. Had to inconvenience someone else to get it done(playing on the freeway, jumped in front of an 18-wheeler), and to further complicate things, there are additional inconveniences and costs tied to this.

Not putting personal feelings into it, but joking about yoyo suicides is cool. Other suicides: not cool.

1 Like

Agreed, suicide is a very sad and (unfortunately) real thing.

I stopped by the hardware store today to get something else, and picked up a can of CRC QD electrical contact cleaner to try this out. I think it’s this stuff: http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=02130&S=Y

I held a CBC Center Trac with needle-nose pliers, went outside, and sprayed it till it dripped. Then I dried it with a can of air, added 2 drops of YYF performance lube, and put it in my Chaser. I don’t have a strong sleeper, usually about 30 seconds with the YYJ SPEED bearing that came with the yoyo (and other throw/bearing combinations). With the cleaned+lubed Center Trac, I threw a 60-second sleeper easily.

Keep in mind that I didn’t compare apples to apples, since I also changed bearings, but color me impressed. I’ll be giving this a try on the rest of my bearings for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Videos can’t hurt.

I just ordered a Chaser myself and a Konkave(steel, not ceramic) that I intend to put in there. I typically get sleepers of over 2 minutes these days anyways. I’m tempted to try this stuff on any bearings I have that need a cleaning.

It would be interesting to see before and after videos:
Before: standard throw with sleeper AND “flick test”.
After: Same things.

Granted, humans are inconsistent, but I think if we’re seeing sizable numbers, it will be pretty good proof.

1 Like

Videos and pre/post tests are great ideas. I’ll see if I can make some time to do this.

Just as further anectodal information, I did the same routine on a YYF SPEC bearing I have in my YYJ Pinnacle, and did not notice such a profound difference. On the other hand, I have an even weaker throw with a counterweight yoyo!

:wink: No need for a video, its TOO easy.

Just open the yoyo and spray it down then spin it,put it back together, BOOM. Done. It wont harm plastics, silicone, finishes and it drys super fast.

Wanna make it hard?

Take the bearing out put it on a pencil, spray it till its drenched, spin it, put it back.

Still not hard enough?

take off the shields.

This stuff is super easy and penetrates like crazy. I have even cleaned a few on the string while the yoyo is still spinning!! and it still works like a charm.

I did this as a test just to see how the string would react and if the liquid would penetrate the bearing while seated. It worked pretty good still and It was cool to listen to the bearing get quieter.

Best 8 bucks i have ever spent. And I still have over 1/2 a can left! …and i DRENCH them too.

(…use gloves and eye protection heed all warnings on container)

before and afters, that’s a different story. That would be good. I just think its too easy for a “how to” tut

But your almost sold on it already. Just go buy some and try it already. :slight_smile:

$8 and a bearing is the only risk. I assure you, You will be pleased.

THE YOYO TRICK SUICIDE

Oh, I’m sold on trying it. Right now I have no bearings in need of cleaning. Worse case is I gunk up a bearing. If I don’t like it, go back to my other methods of cleaning bearings. But, I have other electrical contact cleaners laying around that I use all the time for cleaning contacts in patch bays and other audio equipment of mine, so the good thing is I won’t need to go out and buy something.

One thing people like is justification. If they can see results that validate the action, they’ll buy into it. Understand that I deal with liars all the time. I just basically say “prove it”, and that shuts a lot of them up. Kind of like an apprentice studying under me, I got some new ribbon mics, and I said “this will make the guitars punch through the mix” and he refused to put them out. So I did it, made NO changes to the EQ(documented it BEFORE as I knew he’d try to sabotage it), and bingo: instant “in your face awesomeness” with no other changes other than swapping a mic out and actually bringing the gain down a hair. I was willing to risk a client’s show with a new mic, that worse case was I could swap to something else or back during sound check.

Like a small container of mineral spirits or lighter fluid can clean a huge amount of bearings, one can of electrical contact cleaner can also clean a huge amount of bearings. The biggest advantage I like is the lack of time involved. The bad side is I don’t know what airline policies are in regards to aerosol cans on checked or carried on baggage these days. It would suck to have to pick up a can at each destination and have to get rid of it before leaving. Kind of adds up. But, then again, one shouldn’t need to clean their bearings very often.

I got some of this tonight and WOW!!! It made my loud and responsive 10balls completely quiet and spun for at least 20 seconds each time I flicked it. I also noticed an increase in momentum during play, enough for me to notice the yoyo coming back harder than normal. I consider this puffpwn approved…
:smiley:

I’ve used and tested at least 30 different cleaners and none of them worked any better than mineral spirits and canned air. Mineral spirits = cost effective.

I don’t see how cleaning a bearing increases momentum but that’s just me. Do you guys think that brake cleaner would yield similar results? I don’t have anymore contact cleaner and my bearings got really dirty on the plane from mexico(they fell out of the at I had them in). Or what should I use that’s really cheap and easy to use?

A more responsive bearing would make your yoyo come back harder…

NICE

Have you tested this one?

I think not or you would probaly support it.

Test it out, make it 31 cleaners tested. Report your results here.

Out of all the feedback of others that have tried it on this thread. Noone has been short of amazed.

Cost isn’t bad at all. 1 HUGE can is $8 and I have been useing it for like 3 months or so and still have over a half a can. And I soak them, dripping.

Less friction = Greater Momentum

… I think, im not a scientist though.

I thought friction and momentum where 2 different forces but then again I’m barely passing physics so you might be right. What I thought was that is would be possibly faster

You cannot beat this, even if it is just for ease of use. I tried multiple solvents with no results.

1 Like