Gosh darn bearings

Hey, so I think my house is cursed for yo-yo bearings. I got a brand new skyva yesterday and the bearing is already responsive. Literally have thrown for about an hour total and it’s gone responsive. This is about the 6th yo-yo that has done this and idk what to do. I always clean them after it happens and it just doesn’t work. Any tips?

2 Likes

I got 3 new yoyos that had bad bearings within 24hrs

1 Like

Just seems to be a part of the deal. There are a ton of factors that go into it, from dust/debris at machine shops to pet hair-filled homes (speaking from experience on the latter). I keep a bunch of spare bearings around and swap one into a throw when one goes on the fritz. I keep my funky bearings separate from the rest and do a batch cleaning when there are a bunch piled up. Rinse and repeat (so to speak).

3 Likes

Thanks. I should probably stick up on bearings.

1 Like

That’s my approach at least. I don’t have a ton - maybe 8-10 extras that I have picked up here and there. Just budget ones that run $3-4 per.

Some yoyos that have been sitting a while (like the Skyva and other older releases) may be in need of a little bearing maintenance. There is always a little residue/lube/whatever in there from the factory, and if they sit a while without being played it can cause them to play responsive.

We can send you a new bearing if you get a bad one, but cleaning the bearing should solve the problem - If you don’t mind, can I ask your process for cleaning the bearings?

3 Likes

I take the shields off, and then soak the bearing in hydrogen peroxide, rinse it off, and then blow dry it off.

Egad, man! I would not use H2O2 on bearings.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of hydrogen peroxide being used on bearings. I believe it will evaporate cleanly, but I don’t think it will do that much to clean them. You want to use something like Mineral Spirits, Acetone, or lighter fluid to clean bearings. Even rubbing alcohol can be effective and most people have that in house.

4 Likes

I went off of the YoYo. Tricks tutorial

Yeah, I cringed when I saw the bit about water. Cleaner soak, let sit a bit on a paper towel for a bit, spin on the tip of a pencil or bearing removal tool, and you should be good. I picked up a bottle of pure acetone at my local Target for less than a buck - that may be the way to go.

Oh I’m sorry, it was acetone

1 Like

Acetone makes sense, it’s not the most effective cleaner, but it does work sometimes. But what is the “rinse it off” step you mentioned? You really just want to let the acetone evaporate. Rinsing in water is an unnecessary step that won’t help clean the bearing.

Like Roy said - Soak in Acetone, spin to remove excess, let it dry completely, and that’s about it. lube a little if that’s your preference.

4 Likes

Ok will do.

Hey, so cleaned all of my bearings out and all of them are now functional, except my skyva bearing. did the exact same stuff with the skyva bearing that I did to all the other ones. So, I believe I might need a new bearing. @YoYoExpertGarrett you said something about getting a replacement bearing, you mind helping me with that?

3 Likes