DV 888 or DM 2

Looking to upgrade, both seem outstanding. Which do you prefer and/or recommend for an intermediate player and why?

i perfer the dv888 cuz of how smooth it is.

Personally I’m a DMv2 fan. They play super smooth and if you get a clear one you can do this to it ;D

holy crap can u make a tut

Dm2 if your a begginer still learning to bind and Dv888 if you want a full metal thats completely unresponsive.

I can bind, but i’m not outstanding at it. It seems to bunch a lot on me and sometimes with the fast 201 i’m throwing now, it doesn’t even return to my hand…that’s why i need a new one, its just annoying when i set it to the most unresponsive and it won’t even return when i bind it!

The Hitman and Hitman Pro have also come to my attention as a potential buy. Any more thoughts on things like durability between the 3 and maintenance? I need advice on which yoyo to invest in!

I prefer the hit man pro but all 3 yoyos are beast

I would recommend the DV888. Long spins, Very Smooth, and its a great buy.

As far as i know all the yoyo’s you mentioned (HM, HMpro and the Dm2) come with double o-rings as a response. The only + that you get when buying a Dm2 is that i comes with 2 bearings, a normal one and a speed bearing.

Other than that, their pretty much the same, play wise. The differences would be weight and shape.

Like i said before, if your still learning to bind, then you should opt out for the Dm2, it will help you learn how to bind, and when your ready, you can turn it completely unresponsive by changing the bearigns, using thin lube and taking out the o-rings and using silicone.

Mike… what paint do you use??? Just normal acrylic??? It’s amazing though… :o

And I’m pretty sure the two have a price difference… or was that changed? And DV888 is a metal… DM2 is a bi-metal… which do you want?

I have both love em both, but as i am an intermediate myself i have to say get the DM2, its much easyer to learn on IMO.

Fairly certain I’m gonna go with the DM2, it seems to have all the specs i’m looking for for right now and the future, when i get better. The only thing i dont understand is what is meant by silicone flowable versus the silicone o-ring? What’s the difference? Also the full metal yoyo is more durable right? Is the durability of the DM2 a problem?

First lets make sure you understand that your 201 is not broken. The less responsive a yoyo is, the better your bind has to be to get it back. A DV888 or a DMII with the speed bearing in it are going to be harder to get back to your hand than your 201 is. Like others have said, the DMII comes with an extra bearing that is narrower to make more responsive. Now you could get which ever you think looks coolest, and keep practicing with your 201 until you can play it. Either way, keep practicing and maybe by the time you decide, your bind will have improved to where you can play any one you want!

Oops, you ninja’d me so I’ll answer you. There is a little groove, sort of a “moat” around the bearing. You fill that with silicone out of a tube (flowable) and wait for it to dry. In the case of a YYJ, you can do that, or they make an o-ring out of silicone that sort of snaps into the groove.

Have Fun,
Java

Well like I know my 201 isn’t broken, but the yoyo is really slim and i’m having trouble practicing and learning tricks because by the time i land the yoyo in the string, the yoyo isn’t spinning fast enough for me to do the trick and return the yoyo. I’m also binding exactly how Andre Boulay does it in the instructional video, so i dunno what else to do haha! And the 201 also feels like it snags really easily and sometimes when i loosen it to the maximum, i’ll double bind and it stilll won’t return…so i’m hoping the dm2 will be responsive enough that even with low rpm’s, one bind will be enough to return the yoyo, plus its weight and width allow me to practice plenty and get the moves down easier than my 201. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should do differently to improve my binding??

To improve your binding, try pinching the loop and slowly bringing it down toward the yoyo. If the yoyo does not grab the string and come up to your hand, you might be binding the wrong way to which way the yoyo is spinning. So then try throwing or binding the other way(if you brought the string toward you on your last bind bring it away from you). If you are still unsuccessful, try binding using the different ways (braintwister-mount, trapeze, etc.) In my experiences, the braintwister-mount was the easiest way to bind when learning and first starting out. Mainly, just practice and keep learning new tricks and you will get the hang of it. When you do get better, you don’t need to pinch the loop just bring it over your finger, and you will be able to do it as fast as you want.
If you haven’t already done so, the search forum function on this website might come up with more advice and similar posts.
Hope this helps.

If I throw the yoyo and bring the yoyo over the top to bind, its going the same way, how do I try binding a different way?

How to Bind from Gerard Amento on Vimeo.

This is an excellent video showing many different ways to bind. You do not have to do it this fast when starting out, though. The frontstyle backspin bind and sidestyle backspin bind are the different ways(or directions) to bind because the frontsyle goes into an overmount and the sidestyle goes into an undermount.

That was incredibly helpful. Like I have the basic thing down, and I can bind easily when the yoyo is spinning fast, at the beginning of the throw, but I run into the most trouble returning it after the trick is finished, when the yoyo has low rpm’s…

i think you really need to buy the DM 2 or The Hitman. I got a Hitman and it bind easily even in low rpm’s but I never try DM2 Ithink they’re quite the same