dm2 or dv888?

so i have done a good amount of research on both yoyos. right now i have my first yoyo “the one”. it’s a good yoyo for the start, but i wanted something for more advanced tricks. As well as wanting a long spin time. So which would be better for this the “Dark Magic 2”, or the “Dv888”

What’s your play style?
My preference would be the dv888.
It’s pretty smooth, good spin times and good at grinds.

I have both. I prefer the DM2, but both are great yoyos. The larger size and weight of the DM2 as well as the shape. The shapes are very different as well as the sizes. The DM2 has 2 bearings while the DV888 only has one. The DM2 is plastic and metal, while the dv888 is all metal. Too many differences.

In general, I think you’d be happier with the DM2.

Gotta agree with Studio42 on this one. DM2 probably a better choice for you

I had a DM2 as my first yoyo. It was great for what I was looking for. As a beginner I wasn’t very good so I beat up the DM2 a lot and it kept spinning. HOWEVER, When i first got it I had barely played with the thing until it stripped. I sent it back and got a new one and after a few months of beating it stripped again.

I would recommend the DV888. You will eventually want an all metal yoyo. The DM2 is bi-metal.
Dv888 is slighly undersized but the DM2 is normal sized… It comes down to preference in the end. Make a decision and stick with it and you’ll be happy either way :slight_smile:

Same as Studio and Skiyo I have both. First I bought myself the DM2 and that yoyo got me through everything! It’s a great throw and now that I can compare I’d say: if it’s your first real investment on a throw, go DM2. Friendly shape and size (I was used to YYF’s One) and the weight is great.

After beating up my DM2 like a tambourine I got a friend into yoyoing and stumbled upon a BST guy selling brand new DV888’s so we bought two off of him. It’s a mighty sexy yoyo and perfect (P E R F E C T) for grinding (Of course if you live in a humid environment like me it doesn’t work as great) Mine is pretty heavy and since it doesn’t say when it was made I presume it was before 2010. It’s heavier than the DM2.

TL;DR
DM2 is floaty on the string, weighs less, it has comfortable shape and will get you from zero to hero
DV888 When your gettin’ your groove on and want a sexy and very good yoyo (which of course you don’t want to dent) get the dv888. Long spin times, and since it’s undersized, great for chopstick shenaniganz.

My vote goes for DM2, I don’t really like undersized. I’ve heard tons of glowing reviews about the DV888, but when I tried one, I was unimpressed.

DM2 looks better, in my opinion, also.

I’ve been playing my dv888 more and more recently and the more I play it, the more I’m enjoying it. Yes, it’s not amazing, but its still a great yoyo. Compared to other metals I have, it’s a lot of bang for the buck. Fantastic value for sure, but not a “value” yoyo. By “value”, I typically mean one that is made cheap to sell for cheap. It’s not. It’s under-priced for what it is, but that is no doubt due to the materials used and where it is made. There are different grades of aluminum and hence different costs. But it is NOT a cheap yoyo. I mean, for $45, yeah, its cheap for what they sell it for, but not for what you get.

Even so, I still stand behind my original suggestion of the DM2. Killer price, 2 bearings, great weight, balanced, spins a super long time once the bearing is broken in. Looks great with the metal rims and plastic. What’s not to like?

so i have been talking to yoyo friends. one of my friends has a dm2 and dv888. in my personal opinion i did like the little bit smaller dv888. they both where nice, but i think I’m going with the full metal. in my personal opinion its classier and i want a nice looking more advanced yoyo. in the future i might buy a dm2, but now I’m going with the dv888.

and as well i was looking for a good yoyo for longer more advanced tricks.

Spend $10 more and step up to the DiBase then. It’s 2mm wider in diameter and a tiny bit heavier Since it’s a bit bigger AND the shape is more V, it has a bigger catch area. The heavier weight should let it spin longer.

I have both and would recommend the Dv888 because it will last you longer and is alot smoother

I also agree with studio42 about spending $10 more dollars and get the dibase

Since my dv888 bearing is well broken in now and it’s more of a fair comparison:

I find my DM2 to be way smoother than my dv888. My DM2 makes more noise because one of the caps is loose and spins, but other than that, it’s fine. It spins longer as well. Properly cared for, either should last a very long time.