Duncan Torque thoughts?

Yeah, that makes sense, maybe they even have permission like the Aoda Miracle and Yyf superwide.

There are a lot of yoyos made in China. They could have been “influenced” by YYO, Whimsy, YYF, C3, YoyoSkeel, MagicYoyo, YoyoEmpire, etc. Duncan has probably ripped off profitable ideas from all of them. That’s why we could see this dramatic increase in Duncan metals this year. -sarcasm.

It’s not like YYM is the only company having their models made in China. Loads of companies do work there. If it were the case that companies who manufacture in China just steal designs from each other, then where are the Duncan 888’s or Level 6’s at?

Yym isn’t sold in the US, so copying one of their throws makes a lot more sense.

Duncan is sold worldwide so copying wouldn’t be ideal for them.

Strix came out in 2013. YYM has been making this shape since 2010 or 2011 at least.

I’m not saying the Torque is an outright bootleg. But Duncan has clearly been influenced by YYM designs and it sickens me to hear Duncan, or anyone, consider yoyos like this as innovative.

@GoCrazyForYoyo

They are sold worldwide but not are particularly popular in Japan, so I doubt it would hurt them as much as you might think.

@Irwin Elkblood

Not only did I post side by side pictures, but I repeatedly mentioned yoyomonster and never once yoyofactory. What did you think I was talking about? The CZM8 / “Czech Mate”? They’re not even spelled the same, and nobody would think the Torque is a CZM8 ripoff. And to think that I did, you must think I’m stupid. Do you think I’m that stupid?

The torque was originally supposed to be a japan only release distributed by bandai.

So yeah it’s sold in Japan.

So I guess your out of arguments.

How does this support your argument? It’s not like they could go after duncan for copying the shape anyways since it’s a shape that’s not even identical. The original statement was that duncan took the famous yoyomonster shape and changed it a little to be there own. My bet is Kohta helped work on it and happened to incorporate the yoyomonster shape. If it’s supposed to be japan specific you’d think it’d be good to go with a shape people support and make it more affordable.

1 Like

If you read the post I qouted it would make all the sence in the world.

Some thought it would be appealing to steal a design if the yoyo isn’t sold in Japan. That yoyonews link proves they will. Why would Duncan copy a design from a Japanese company if they are selling to a Japanese market? They would get called out for stealing. Kinda like the nonsense going on in this thread.

It would help if you’d read the whole thread. Conversations evolve. We don’t always refer to to OP in every post. You’re not new to the forums, you should know that.

I guess I’ll talk about the shape again. The “famous” YYM shape isn’t patented so what’s the big deal. The Strix had a similar shape and there was no uproar. Now some guy shows you a picture of a YYM checkmate and y’all start acting like Duncan did a dirty deed. If someone could please show the cups you’d know they’re different. It’s not a copy. It’ll play different.

So is every yoyo that is similar to another suspect now. How about all those curved V shaped yoyos that line our collections? Are y’all going to start threads bout those?

Aight, cool, ur mad, we get it. Move on.

So…
Anyone else buy a torque yet?
Would love to ear some more response about it ._.

I’m just having fun playing devils advocate here. We weren’t talking about the inner cups. Are you saying I can take any design yoyo I like and as long as the inner cup is different I’m all good? So I can go grab the famous peak design add side effects which changes the cup and sell it without making anyone angry? How do we not know the japanese market didn’t note the resemblance, are you on their forums?

The cups have been mentioned in this thread before I did. As in yeah they were talkin bout dem cups too.

The specs on the two yoyos are different. The cups are different. They will play different. Shapes aren’t patented. They can be used by anyone. It seems as though you clearly know the Torque is not a complete copy of the Checkmate, or any other YYM, yet you persist.

If you make a peak with side effects people might get angry. You’ve copied specs. That’s more than just a shape, foo.

Nobody can use H shapes but YYF!

Im sorry but the diameter/width ratio being the same is too much of a coincidence. Also, I have never seen two yoyo profiles that looked so similar besides whole other business with copying regarding YYF and other Chinese brands.

the tourque cost ~1/3rd less than the checkmate and i would rather buy a “copy” that costs far less and plays different than the yoyo that was allegedly copied than buy the yoyo that was allegedly copied that plays different than the supposed copycat. the similarities are many, but really what are you gonna do about it? argue about it on the internet and degrade people when they state an opinion different than yours? sure, that’ll do the trick.

now if all the yoyomonster fanboys would go back into their yoyomonster fanboy caves with all their yoyomonster posters and yoyomonster yoyos that’d be great.

or you can do some more pointless arguing and see where that gets you. that’d actually be greater.

If they had released an extremely similar yoyo to the Royale would you care? Besides you acting defensive, argumentative, and inflammatory, you have only contributed the idea that we should not care and accused people of being degrading to others while in the same thought calling us “yoyomonster fanboys” and telling us to “go back to our yoyomonster fanboy caves”. All this for having a contrary opinion to yours, which is odd considering you are the one who is criticizing us for degrading people " when they state an opinion different than yours". So far, the only person in this thread who has done this is you.

And I’m pretty sure its because you’re butthurt that Shai called you out for making a comment without understanding the context of the thread.

1 Like

frankly i wouldnt care if they released a model that close to the royale. well, i wouldnt care if square wheels was an overpriced over-seas yoyo company. but they arent. so maybe i would care a bit, but not too much.

and is your comment regarding my comment even relevant to the argument that is “the torque is a copy of the checkmate!!1!1!one11!!!”?

my butt is feeling fine thank you

YYM’s ideas come from a different country than Duncan’s. Square Wheels’ do not, so as you can see there is no constant between the two companies and your argument is invalid.

BY THE WAY, you were asking my personal opinion. I am not sponsored by YYM so I dont really care about their company really at all.

Happy to see someone representing a yoyo company bashing others companies. That’s a perfect way to represent Square Wheels I bet. Saying that you’re trying to destroy a thread with your comments. Just what I wanted to hear. Blakes a great guy and I don’t understand why he would want someone on his team that says other countries throws don’t matter especially when clyw is one of his favorites.

2 Likes

Ya know, I still want to find out how it plays…

I am not about to write a review but I am very happy with my Torque!
It is well balanced, fast and comfortable. I am not a good player but I believe this yoyo assists my abilities.