Duncan Torque thoughts?

Hspin Cut came out in 2009, sorry bro.

The Cut is slightly similar to these shapes. It has more than three steps and the steps are low. Also the trapeze width is like 80% of the yoyo with the Cut instead of more like 99% with the YYM throws.

By comparison, the Torque and Checkmate have identical profiles.

I think the Cut is an example of a vaguely similar shape but doubt YYM ripped off the design, especially since it wasn’t a particularly good one.

BTW by “mixed straight” I meant the 3-step profile seen in most of the YYM lineup. Pretty sure that’s what they call it.

The Cut was good, high walls used to be popular. I doubt YYM wasn’t at least influenced by the Cut.

You may be right, but I differentiate between one design being somewhat influenced by another and a design outright copying a relatively rare and unique profile.

It’s honestly one of the best $40 yoyo’s out there. If you have any doubts, just buy it, you won’t be disappointed.

I have no doubts that it’s a good yoyo for $40. My doubts lie with how Ducan came up with the design. I would never buy it though, because for one, I have much better yo-yos, and for two, I don’t want to support Duncan financially, for many reasons.

So far this year in metal yoyo’s I have bought the C3 level 6, the YYO Musket and the Duncan Torque. Now I am only an “ok” player and I love my Level 6 and Musket but for me the torque is the best of the three.

I’m sure it’s pretty darn good! But, I would never buy a Duncan…my own personal reasons why!

Smh the Torque and Czech Mate are about as similar as the Genesis and the Code1.

The Torque and Czech Mate have totally different weight distribution and inner hubs anyways

Believe you’re mistaken

We’re discussing the yoyomonster checkmate not the yoyofactory checkmate

Checkmate for Vashek is the full name.

Understandable but that’s not the yoyo we’re talking about

I highly doubt they copied their design from YYM. To me Torque looks like a revamp of Duncan Strix. I like Duncan and I will always support them. Shai, you can’t just accuse them copying because the shape is similar. The three step was on the strix before and on many other yoyos. No and I am not a Duncan fan boy. I just gives away my Barracuda and my main throws are Auldey Magnum, Ares Stars and P.Wave.

I am also leaning towards the Duncan is slightly changing designs of proven successful products but I think it is general yo. The torque is the prestige and the barracuda is the Majesty. Thats my opinion for what it is worth.

Hop off Duncan’s -insert word- . Their lineup is becoming more and more modern. You guys should applaud them for trying. I’m sure this’ll play great. And y’all act like yym invented the shape.

They’ve had a three step since the Strix. It’s not new for them.

Duncan just needs a new look.

Not all yoyo companies are out for each other and always stealing each other’s designs. There are two yoyos called the checkmate. I know this might be a weird concept for you but sometimes people get confused. I know, I know, you’ve never been wrong in your ENTIRE life, but sadly not everyone is you.

Bummer.

P.s. I did read this thread, but the pictures posted on YYE tend to not show up on my computer. You’ve probably never had computer problems you don’t understand befor either so sorry again for all these foreign concepts.

YoyoMonster started making some of their yo-yo’s like the Material in China. Yes, it features the multi-step profile that does mark the YoyoMonster lineup apart from the rest.

Since the Torque is also made in China; I see every reason to suspect that the YYM design had an influence in the Torque. Duncan can claim it was designed elsewhere; but unfortunately China does have a bit of a reputation for liberating ideas they find profitable; and incorporating it into their own.

That said; YYM does not have a patent on the shape (although I suspect the American Patent Office would award one should they apply…) and Duncan is free to do whatever has not been patented by others. If adopting the characteristic shapes and designs of other successful yo-yo companies is what Duncan calls “upgrading” their lineup; I think their is still a bit of upgrading needed at Duncan