Dubstep

Lol! They are pretty awsome.

When I throw i usually listen to either
Rusko, Datsik, excision, knife party, skrillex, or zomboy. All dubs good old or new doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

and? I also listen to rock and metal. He puts a rock twist on electronica music. I like that.

I like Knife Party. That’s dubstep.
Not dubstep:
DEADMAU5!!!
Feed Me
Skrillex
Dillon Francis
Zedd
Wolfgang Gartner

These artists ^^^ are dance, not dubstep.

1 Like

Unfortunately skrillex and knife party are both modern dubstep or “brostep” as it’s termed. I consider Dance just an overall genre like how you could call dubstep techno. Dubstep is a pretty large genre overall.

Dubstep is not a large genre, its not like ‘rock’ or ‘punk’ which encompasses many sub-genres under a general name. Dubstep involves a lot of elements taken from other forms of electronic music, but if it is not sitting around 140 BPM, doesn’t revolve around complex evolving two step or four on the floor drum patterns and isn’t dominated by an omnipresent bass/sub bass line it is not dubstep.

1 Like

140 BPM with the dominant beats sounding like they’re in half-time or 70BPM is how I heard it described. But what the hell do I know? I may have heard it from a young person but I’m old.

Rather be listening to Kimbra…

:wink:

Yup yup, lots of cut time stuff going on. But that wouldn’t cut the BPM in half(it would in fact sound doubled, not halved) , just makes a notes value half of what it is in a standard time. Bringing up the pace and feel of the track.

A lot of these older London producers are seriously talented musicians and producers with a heavy music theory background.

A Digital Mystikz remix of a Skream track, think this one is a Mala mix. And a classic, the original and this.
Apologies if this isn’t a good quality rip; on my phone and can’t listen to it at the mo’. Good luck if you has no subwoofer.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2xVJC4XU4

Sorry I ment large as in plenty of artists, because many people only know a few. I completely agree on the 140 bpm. How do you feel about skrillex, knife party and zomboy? Their bpm is also around 140.

I like to throw to Mitis’s Music

Any EDM except 50% of David guetta songs.

Feed Me does make dubstep. Maybe you haven’t heard all of his songs?

No, sir, that’s nonsense.

It’s not real Dubstep…

IT’S NOT REAL DUBSTEP…

IT’S NOT REAL DUBSTEP…

3 Likes

That’s not dubstep! It’s clearly… hard-trance-dub-indie-tech-core!
Jeesh! You all need to learn a thing or two about your music!

Halo Nova, or Nick Pittsinger, is now under the alias “Varien.” Just wanted to tell you in case you didn’t know. :slight_smile:

I’m not going to distinguish which is dubstep, glitch hop, electro house, etc, but this is what I listen to:

Ephixa
Varien
Direct
Droptek
Insan3Lik3
Muzzy
Noisestorm
Skrillex
Knife Party
Obsidia
OVERWERK
Pegboard Nerds
Rezonate
Rogue
Stephen Walking
Tristam
Stereotronique

That’s all I can think of. I love Monstercat, as you can tell.
Might as well link a random song, while I’m at it.

2 Likes

Knife Party is not dubstep.
It’s 175 bpm Drumstep. A mixture of Drum And Bass, and dubstep. MOSTLY. But they have some other stuff too, for the most part its not dubstep.
Skrillex is edm for the most part.
Deadmau5 does have some dubstep. The second half of raise your weapon is dubstep.

Gotta have that 140 bpm with some wobbles and whatnot.
I saw Datsik a few weeks ago live. And the music didn’t even matter. You couldn’t even make out what the noises were. It was just sub bass attacking your body. Crazay.

The wobble-y stuff isn’t really what you’re after. That tends to be mid-range stuff, what you hear and feel coming from the subs is the sub-bass sitting underneath the ‘wobble’. You can blame that fad on Rusko’s ‘Cockney Thug’. :slight_smile:
For the most part dubstep is drums, a bass/sub-bass line, and an intermittent synth part(which may be substituted for a rendered classical instrument, or a manipulated existing track of one(ahem, a dub?). See Skreams ‘Monsoon’(and Loefah’s remix) for some nice cello. But frequently there is almost no mid-line, pretty much just drums and bass. The thing that makes this Skrillex insanity the most annoying is all the screechy mid range stuff, its jarring, unpleasant and totally unlike anything what dubstep is.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnDDx8ALG8

1 Like

I get this, but are you saying there’s no room for innovation or differences within a genre? Pretty boring-■■■■■■■■■ if you can’t mix it up. And Skillrex’s stuff (though I don’t like all that screechiness either) proves that you can bring something new and become popular for it.

I mean, if everyone followed the exact. same. formula. then what would be the point of there being different artists at all? And what would differentiate them? Breaking new ground is to be admired, not slagged, in my opinion.

Why is our great yoyoer/electronica listening community debating over what is true dubstep?
Just listen to what you like, and be proud of it. Simple.

1 Like