"Don't you have enough yoyos?"

Every Nickel Smooth Move was blasted. Nick did them himself.

1 Like

I did mine at 2.5 inches. Fits my dreadnought. Noting bigger than that though. Look at my BST to get a sense of how the different sized throws fit. I really like the sizing.

I agree. Scrutiny from a spouse can be a drag. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a relationship with shared finances, but it can work with the right partner. The trick is finding someone independent and crazy minded enough.

I too remember going through the bank statement to get the mortgage. It felt a little more invasive than I would have liked.

Everyone has different tolerances and comfort for privacy. I didn’t mind in the least sharing my financials with our mortgage broker. My wife also doesn’t question my yoyo purchases because we are both happy with a system whereby our needs are met, some money is invested for the kids’ futures and our retirements, and we accumulate a household “slush” fund for vacations and the like.

What’s left is more or less split up as “funny money” for guilt-free spending. Now, as a result I don’t have the freedom to say “Yeah, I can decide as an individual to eat less for the next two weeks and get an extra yoyo out of it” but it does mean that as long as I’m using that fund for my yoyos, I could get a titanium yoyo with diamonds in the cup and my wife wouldn’t blink. :wink:

We are both fully aware of, but don’t care about, each other’s spending. Only in the light-hearted way, like when I mocked her for spending money on the 50 Shades of Grey series when she could have been buying worthwhile books instead!

“Independent” and “crazy minded.” Well…that works for me, and most of my friends too, so set us up :smiley:

The funny thing about all this is that in life, you almost NEVER get absolutely everything you want. What you are able to spend is usually determined by some factors that you don’t have complete control over. If it’s not a parent, or a spouse, as a determinant, it is getting a job, keeping a job, getting a raise or promotion, bills and other priorities taking precedent…you name it. But, we all still have our limitations and work within them. Some of our bar is set higher than others due to certain circumstances. Some people are born into wealth, others have come from nothing and earned what they have…and everything in between.

Just like the saying, “Mo’ money…Mo’ problems?” There is some truth to that. Money makes some things easier, and other things more difficult. For example, you can buy a car instead of taking the bus. You don’t have to wait at the bus stop in the cold, but you will have to pay for luxury tax, insurance, inspection, registration, fuel, repairs…blah blah blah. So, the person with the car might have more money, but they also have a lot of crap hanging over their head too. Everything you buy that requires upkeep and maintenance becomes a “responsibility.” So…mo’ money…mo’ problems. :smiley:

I thought about answering this question substituting the word “yoyos” with a lot of other things. The answer is always “yes.” We live in a country of excess to be honest, and it has become a way of life. I’m not complaining…trust me.

1 Like

As a grown up I tend to think of yoyos as a relatively cheap distraction. When I don’t think about yoyos I tend to start thinking about cars, computers, and other more expensive fantasies (cough Tesla). Since my mind loves to categorize and compare things, having it center on whether the prestige has enough rim weight to be similar to the double walled chief is much less expensive than the other things I could turn to.

As a random aside, knowing a little about the brain, I also know that I get the same shot of dopamine getting a new yoyo as some other fancy expensive item, and that trading it and getting something else then gives me a new shot of dopamine. Pleasure when you get the yoyo, pleasure while playing with it, and then when you tire of it, pleasure in trading it for something new. Like I said, the yoyo is a relatively cheap distraction.

That said, remember I am in my 40’s and cheap for me is very different than for a kid in middle school.

1 Like