Does anyone (on this EARTH!...lol! ) have a pic of of the wooden insert, brass rivet axle Duncraft Proyo yoyo? - showing without pogs and insert/ axle clearly?. Thank You

In your valued opinion do you think I’m driving down a never ending road, looking for a yoyo that may not exist just because it is mentioned on my Duncraft yoyo case?.. getting a headache lol…!

I don’t recall seeing a fixed wood axle original proyo. But that doesn’t mean they didn’t exist. If you look at patent 3805443, wood is mentioned.

Best bet might be to contact Dale Oliver and ask him. @yyfben2.deactivated or @YOHANS might know the answer as well.

2 Likes

Thank you!:call_me_hand:- John

When you reply to a post directly above yours, the reply picture doesn’t show up (probably cos it’s a bit redundant) but the person still gets the notification as it is still a reply. You can see it with this post right here, so there’s no need to make 2 posts and delete the first one haha.

2 Likes

@JohnnyT123 If you haven’t seen this, I edited and created a PDF of the original Noble Disk newsletter. It’s got a lot of information on the original ProYo’s. May find some info that you’re looking for there.

The Noble Disk newsletter - PDF link - General Yo-Yo - YoYoExpert Forums

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes there was a “hex” machined wood axle. They were expensive and they were fragile. They had a 50/50 possibility of breaking when simply installing them. But…if you got a good one…they were the best wood axle high performance experience in the history of yoyos. Small axle diameter, wood walls with a centering taper shape. If you were going to set a world record for rpm and long spin this was the yoyo you wanted to use. If you were a stage performer you never knew if the axle would survive a routine. Like using nitrous in your drift car.

-Hans

14 Likes

Thank you so much! - John

Just heard back from Yohans. Thanks for the advice and for reaching out, talk about from the horse 's mouth! lol…guess I’ve got a semi rare yoyo and a more rare case…lol. Thanks again photogeek for everything! - John

2 Likes

But was there one in any of the non take-apart versions? The riveted ones? I thought that was the question that @JohnnyT123 was asking.

This is 100% truth.

This is 200% truth.

2 Likes

I was assuming that’s what Yohans was talking about? right…

My only confusion is when he talks about “installing” them. Which to me felt like “installing them in your own yoyo”. But he could have been talking about installing them as they were being manufactured.

To be honest, that’s my biggest question mark about the existence of a factory non take-apart proyo with a wood axle. Those axles were SO fragile, I would have thought the failure rate would be too high manufacturing them (not to mention playing with them).

1 Like

They tried to rivet the wood axle version but it always destroyed the wooden axle. Even if the axle survived the assembly process it wasn’t robust enough to survive extended use. The knurled nut was developed to carefully assemble the wood axle into the ProYo. It was not a toy for children. The axles broke so often that we learned to enjoy the ProYo with the pogs/lenses off to have easy access to the knurled nut.

-Hans

8 Likes

Just scooped this off the - bay. A for real Duncraft Inc. Proyo Yoyo…! They are seldom spoke of and rarely seen - It is the metal rivet axle with an aluminum (spool - as mentioned in the Patent) axle sleeve. Smooth playing yoyo…Donald Duncan Jr’s crowning achievement!

Just found two sets of the nuts, brass and aluminum. Still looking for the axles.

3 Likes

Wow! Sweet…:+1:

I’m in the middle of remodeling my basement. With a 1 year old and a 3 year old it’s taking a long time :rofl: Almost everything is in boxes. I didn’t expect it to take this long so I didn’t do that great of a job packing boxes away, and labeling them.

Eventually when it’s done and I get my workshop (finally) completed as well, I should be able to get all this stuff together and see if I have the axles, and possibly any of the yoyos left. About 3-5 years ago I had so many of these I was giving them away, so I’m not sure what I have left.

1 Like

I’m willing to buy a brass axled, knurled nut one no problem - jtn26507@gmail.com. Feel free to holler anytime - John

1 Like

Ahhh, interesting. I’ve never seen the aluminum ones. Just the brass.

1 Like