Does anyone have any tips or tricks for learning Spirit Bomb?

Okay I lied I do know what happens strap in. It’s just moving around wrist mount, the yoyo in the first hop should stay on the solo part of the string it’s by and not move too close to the triangle part. so if two strings are above the yoyo when you land cross armed, it was too close to the triangle part of WM, if it falls and the wrist mount triangle is still there but the yo is dangling your arms were out of alignment, usually this is how i mess up the trick and the yo usually falls forward is how i mess up. for the second hop your just going back to wrist mount again but you catch one extra wrap on the index. I’m sorry this is so hard to explain I don’t know maybe it helps

I recently spent a good two weeks trying to get this trick down and finally have just started getting it like 50% of the time. The best thing I found that felt like was almost cheating was starting from the initial wrist mount have the string way up near your knuckles but also holding the end of the string on the left side back by your thumb as well to hold the triangle open. I keep it in this position from the initial throw into the wrist mount through both hops. I can try and get a photo from above of what I mean if it helps. This might be confusing. Also, the more force I put into the 2nd hop seems to help too. I also think that for the first hop having the left part tighter/closer to the yoyo where the string divides both halves seems to help the second hop become a little more easy as well. Just some things I noticed that has been my formula for getting through this trick.

1 Like

I probably collectively spent about 5-6 hours today working on this trick and eventually had to call it quits for the evening. I now can get the first hop fairly consistently! The video that probably helped me the most was this one:

Just watching how he was popping, but also rolling the yoyo over on the first hop helped a ton to visualize what’s actually taking place during the hop.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s those hours spent sometimes that make me wish there was a yoyo club around here or I knew someone in person. There have been a few times where I spent multiple hours doing something and not making much progress, and then it eventually clicked. It does make it more rewarding when you finally break through, which is part of the fun. Though I feel like if I had someone show me stuff in person, it would be highly beneficial. Especially a trick like this where knots come very easily. I spent a lot of time untying knots to learn this one.

1 Like

Yo! Good freaking job

So I see in a lot of tutorials that talk about how after you land the second hop you’ll be back in that original wrist mount position but with double wraps around the triangle, making it so you need to dismount in a certain way. However, when I land the second hop inside the triangle I’m straight back to the original wrist mount and can dismount like normal. Is it still considered a spirit bomb? And what exactly am I doing or not doing here? I was under the impression when you uncross your arms the whole goal is to catch it back inside the triangle.

1 Like

When you land it correctly you will be in a wrist mount with an extra wrap around the bottom of the v coming from your throwhand, but you can still dismount like normal. If you don’t have that extra wrap my guess is you missed the triangle but still landed on the bottom string in which case you would be in a regular wrist mount. The only thing that really happens in a spirit bomb is that the yoyo exits the mount from the front and goes through the triangle from above and lands back on the bottom string. Try just doing that, that’s what your wrist mount will look like after a correct spirit bomb.

1 Like

Also I thought I’d mention from a wrist mount you can pop out from the front and into the top triangle as much as you want and still perform the standard wrist mount dismount.

1 Like

Kudos to you guys helping explain this one. I learned this in 2009 and I’d be hard pressed to explain what is happening on each hop at this point. Muscle memory is crazy.

Only tip I have has to do with how I used to master certain tricks - sometimes it helps to lay the string out on a table and replicate what you see while watching a slo-mo, just so you fully understand what needs to happen when you whip/pop/transition for any given trick. It’s tougher with tricks like this one that require a specific mount, but it really helped me back then.

2 Likes

Should look like this kind of when you land and I think yotarokuyo nailed your question but holler if you have any more questions

Maybe you can help me troubleshoot this last bit I’m running into. At this point I can land the first hop fairly consistently. The second hop I can get maybe 40% of the time, with the double loops around the triangle.

The issue I’m running into now is when I go to dismount out of the spirit bomb. I will be back in the original wrist mount but with 2 twists around the triangle, I under pass it once, and then under pass it another time but only onto the inside string. When I pull my throw hand out of the wrist mount so the yoyo goes into a trapeze, a knot forms up by my throw hand. I can’t seem to figure out what’s causing the knot since I thought I was following the videos closely, but obviously I’m blundering at some point in the trick.

Man I’m so close to landing this I can taste it!

1 Like

Hah yeah you are! So when you land with the double wraps and drop the finger out, just hop out the back and let the strings fall down th and see if that works make sure you’re going out of the back and we can troubleshoot more if that doesn’t work … I’ll help as much as it takes too like this is like talking shop and I like talking shop…all the post hop rolls are just like dismount flourishes

Edit let me know if that works and we can figure out the traditional dismount

Ok so I tried it a few times with the basic wrist mount dismount (that’s a tongue twister) and each time it resulted in the same knot. So maybe my second hop is incorrect.

1 Like

lol do you get the same knot if you just hop out towards yourself like no rolling?

On the second hop make sure the yoyo is in front of the string formation. You probably are I would think because I threw a few spirit bombs to check and I think it would be really hard to pop to the back anyways because of how little room there is in that gap between your crossed arms and the position of the yoyo but I thought I’d mention it just in case. Try hopping the yoyo up out the front and back down into the triangle just from a regular wrist mount and you will be in the position you should be in after a spirit bomb. Try to dismount from that and if you still get that knot my guess would be you may just be not doing the dismount correctly.

1 Like

I did this and got tripped up w the dismount while learning sb

The higher you pop the more you can open the triangle. Is just imo most important part to know about SB.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Going to try some more attempts when I get back from work. In the meantime though… any idea why this keeps happening after the second hop?

2 Likes

Missed the triangle but hit the right string on the inside…like yoyo goes up and right to the string and the triangle was in front of it…just did a quickie yoyo problem solving test and I got the same results when I did that

edit I thought it was the same twist but it’s the other way actually like missed the triangle but hit the right string but the triangle is behind

Yeah that’s it. The bottom of the v is twisted so you must’ve went over you want to land inside that triangle. The string coming from the yoyo should be wrapped around the bottom of the v instead of the v being twisted.

1 Like