Does anyone have any tips or tricks for learning Spirit Bomb?

Those videos were helpful though even if they weren’t in slow motion. The more people I can see do the trick the better. Keeping my hands in line with each other definitely helped the first pop not get tangled, however, it’s still not clean enough to even attempt the second pop through the triangle opening without getting tangled.

yea. the second hop is trickier.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the final triangle big enough for the yoyo to drop through it?

I must not be positioning (or moving) my throw hand fingers correctly during the second hop because a triangle big enough to fit a yoyo through it never forms for me.

2 Likes

Tried filming a view from above… i tried to pause on the second hop to show my hands… ignore the intentional drop in the middle :wink:.
Let me know if that’s helps at all.

Spirit Bomb YoYo Trick

5 Likes

For some reason I can’t figure out how to get the string behind the thumb as shown below. I wonder if the way I am landing the first hop is somehow preventing the strings from forming correctly around the throw hand like that.

sb

1 Like

Maybe Send a video of what your doing?

part of it for me is floating the yoyo as high as i can (almost like if you bring your hands together for an eli hop while its going up) to give my hands/brain time to spread out as its peaking and comes down. i do recommend turning your throw hand wrist so that your pinky points a little upward on the outside of the formation to get that bottom string at your wrist centered below the triangle, stretch that string finger as far as you can away form your thumb and your thumb is pointing inside towards your body, and all of this while adjusting your off hand like slowly returnign an eli hop at the same time… it helps me land better if i think about it that way, but still working on it.

edit, also i land the first hop with throw hand palm up and try to always keep that thumb pointed somewhat toward me.

2 Likes

I have never seen anyone get into the wrist mount the way you just did in this this video. Sort of difficult to tell how it’s happening from the speed and angle of the video, would you mind explaining? Seems like a good way to just focus on just the hops of spirit bomb without trying to land the yoyo into a wrist mount first.

1 Like

No problem… basically you wrap the string around your thumb and wrist on the TH side and try to slide the yoyo into the gap that is formed … ice seen some guys literally hop it in but I’m not there yet. But it slides in very easily.

Throw hands thumb goes down in front of the string and comes around the string wrapping around your wrist. I think it’s a TH chopstick set up. If that doesn’t make sense let me know I’ll send you a video of that.

1 Like

Here is a tutorial for 3 ways to get into wrist mount… the second is called TH Chopsticks into wrist mount which is kind of what i used but not exactly

3 Likes

The trick to hopping it in is just to increase the size of the string gap. Having your fingers be extended outwards towards your NTH is what you want, not spreading your fingers wide as you would with normal chopsticks stuff. Spreading your fingers further apart like you would for chopsticks only makes this movement harder. Also this extra wrap around the TH middle finger lets you push the string all the way to the tip of the finger, instead of being stuck around the middle knuckle.

Hopefully this helps @GnarlyCharlie

2 Likes

I just saw you put this in the “tricks you should be able to do already” thread and I thought I would share some of the ideas that helped me learn this trick. I don’t know where you are with it now, like if you have it completely figured out but it’s the execution you struggle with or if it’s understanding the trick. I struggled with the understanding/figuring out what’s supposed to happen aspect of this trick. I was over thinking it and when I understood how it worked better, I just had to tighten up the execution of it…which I still mess up occasionally but still!

The mount you land in after the first hop is the same as if you were to go from wrist mount, roll the yo over the TH, and cross NTH over and grab the solo string. When you land the second hop, there will be an extra wrap around the index that feels funny, but if you drop the index out and do the classic wrist mount dismount (roll and pop out from the back) you won’t get any knots.

In terms of execution, remember this trick was made pre unresponsive and you want to keep tension on the string the whole time. This makes it easier like you don’t want to hop and catch the yoyo, you want to hop and then let the arm crossing to pull the yoyo to the string. Try not to over think this too much (I was doing that). Feels close-ish to an eli hop because of the pulling the yo to the string kind of.

Sorry if any of this was redundant/ you already knew all this. I just want you to crush this trick. Here is also the oldest video I could find of Spirit Bomb. I think it helped me to see the OG execution.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I’ve actually never seen this video before in all my searching to find videos of spirit bombs. From watching a bunch of videos, I’m noticing longer strings. Or at least longer than I’m using (bellybutton to floor). I’m going to re-read over your comment and bust out an unresponsive to give it a go again. What shape yoyo do you think would aide in this trick?

1 Like

Yeah I ripped all the old sector y videos because they’re interesting and it’s cool to see how much the tricks changed from the originals and longer string really will help but not obnoxiously long. I think generally like v w h are good. wider definitely makes it easier to land the hops because you can be looser with plane control. If you’re hitting the triangle on the second hop too much you can try less width and try to make that triangle bigger but that triangles size will also be tied relatively to string length and belly button length for this trick would be hard for me to hit like that because it just needs more precision. I generally go long and wait to cut the loop I’ll just like tuck the extra string into the finger loop so it’s not dangling then I can adjust if it doesn’t feel right. Good luck! You’re about to crush it!

Ps I also just saw this post at the bottom of that other thread and saw your comment about spirit bomb I wasn’t like creeping your old posts!

Edit - one more thought for when you get to it—this trick is kind of like boing e boing in that it helps to focus on trying to do the motions before you get the feel of it and once you do the mechanics right and hit it, you start to get the feel after. Magic drop was also like that for me and a couple other tricks especially with stuff like this that’s hard to intuitively hit

I just busted out my trusty ol’ Replay Pro and cut a string up to the bottom of my solar plexus. Time to give this a go!

1 Like

Solar plexus string length is way too long. The longer your string is, the further apart you’re going to need to move your arms to get the string separation you need for opening up the string segment the yoyo falls into at the end. String length that long is just going to force you to make massive arm movements that will make controlling the yoyo in general much more difficult, which is going to make the entire trick harder.

Longer than your normal string length in regard to giving you a bigger opening to land in would be going from belly button length to ~1-2 inches above your belly button. If anything I’d advise against lengthening your string because it sounds like you’re struggling with control of the yoyo. Longer string length will make controlling the yoyo harder to the point where it doesn’t matter if you can technically make a bigger zone for the yoyo to hit, because you’re going to struggle even more with putting the yoyo where it needs to be.

Solar plexus string length is for when you’re trying to hit a 4.0 hook or higher, not for spirit bomb.

1 Like

The thing I can’t figure out is how to open up the triangle on the second hop so there is something for the yoyo to drop through. There seems to be some sort of wrangling of the NTH thumb between some strings so it can open things up, but I can’t figure out how to do that.

1 Like

You could try to keep the string farther back on the wrist and keep the thumb up and that should help so there is no thumb scoop action I do that if it’s right on my thumb like a small wrist mount but I didn’t even notice until I saw your comment I tried the wrist thing and it worked more for me probably going to try it that way more too.

Just fooled with it more and the wrist mount isn’t the like mrmatio style wrist mount where it’s right behind the thumb it’s like a more old school wrist mount really wrists or that way made it easier for me idk maybe it helps good luck

I’m able to land the first hop maybe 50-60% of the time now. What helped a lot for me was instead of moving both my arms to cross them during the hop, I only move my non-throw hand, crossing it over the top of my throw hand. My issue is, I don’t exactly know why this works or what’s happening differently… it just sorta works. Once I wrap my head around what’s actually taking place and what string I’m aiming for, it’ll probably get easier. Right now it’s just kind of a shot in the dark.

1 Like

Yo 50% is a lot! 50% makes it touchable ! And whatever is working for you! Every time you land that first hop it’s going to get a little more comfortable to do it again the next time. Especially if you work on it a little bit again tomorrow even like two mins so you stay comfy with it. I always am better at tricks after I sleep on them for a night but nice work!

Edit—Also I still don’t really know what’s happening lol just know where you want to end up at each step and then make that happen… the understanding can come later w this one and I don’t know what to aim for I just pay attention to if I missed the Yoyo in front or behind then adjust it’s probably backwards but that approach has worked for me