Does anybody else think the shutter is one of YYFs greatest throws of all time?

Whoah. Sorry, pretending to be a moderator… but I’m not. This is taking a bad spin.

I’m not defending the Chinese. There have been craploads of inferior products coming out of there. However, we Americans aren’t necessarily any better in some aspects.

Shall I go on for about 100 pages about Chinese intellectual theft and patent infringements as it pertains to the audio industry? Or how about a few pages about how the same Chinese factories that make AUTHORIZED Disney products make intentional OVERAGE runs to create a grey market of what are essentially illegal units, yet are made with 100% authorized materials, dies, stamps and procedures, which in turn makes the bootlegs 100% identical and indistinguishable from the “real thing”, because for all intents and purposes they are the real thing?

No, I won’t

One of the issues with China is we often find we can get the same “product output” for a 1/4 of the price. Some companies question this because they have a 3 out of 4 fail/rejection rate, yet it is still cheaper to go this route. I find the biggest issue is how the manufacturing processes are run. Too many Asian factories and companies are very greedy and only want “more money” and don’t care about how that trickles down to the workers. As I’ve been told, there’s a lack of environmental regulations in China, so the dumping or disposing of waste and byproducts isn’t done in a more “green-friendly” manner, which also reduces costs. When companies are often more over-seen by those who are sub-contracting the work out to them and IMPOSING more rigid controls, there’s no reason why the Chinese-made product can’t be as good as the American made one. Also, there are some companies that want to express an extreme pride in workmanship and put in the extra effort to reduce waste, decrease fail/rejected units and put their best efforts forward.

This isn’t just a Chinese issue. When we as Americans outsource to most Asian nations, as well as some middle-eastern nations, we often get the same issues: Lower costs, higher rejection rates. I see this in products from Vietnam, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philipines and others as well.

Back on audio briefly: The Mackie SRM450 has gone through 4 generations. The first, using RCF drivers(Italian made), which are the ones I have, I feel sound the best. The second generation isn’t a true second generation, but it involves the RCF buy-out by Mackie, and those drivers don’t sound as good for some reason. The third generation is involving the use of Chinese-produced drivers, and honestly, those speakers sound like crap. The SRM450v2’s use the same crap-tastic Chinese drivers, with a newer crappy set of internal active amplifiers on-board, which “amplify crap to crap” and sound like @$$ unless you use a system analyzer to correct all the screw-ups. This helps, but doesn’t resolve the problem completely.

Back to yoyos:
Aluminum isn’t just aluminum. They are almost always alloys. I have no idea if 6061 in the US is the same blend as 6061 in China or over-seas, or what the tolerances for 6061 is. Or 7075 for that matter. I’m not a metal expert, I never will be. We know that controlling as much as possible is important to yoyo production. One Drop proves that there’s more to just engineering when it comes to making quality yoyos. It does start with the raw product: the Aluminum cylinders(or whatever they are called).

If you start with an inferior base material, then you’re already sunk. If the material isn’t consistent end to end and all through-out, there’s no way you can win. If you’re not using CNC machines with the right tolerance capabilities, then you’re causing more problems. The odds are the Chinese places may not be using machines with the same precision capabilities and are not quite as selective as they could be with their aluminum to “save costs”.

What I will say is this:
I am tired of seeing American jobs leaving due to corporate greed. The human factor is a large element that has been disregarded in favor of making the all-mighty dollar(that is losing international exchange appeal by the way). I would prefer to see the American companies to try to keep their products being made domestically whenever possible. To bring it to the yoyo world, I single out YYF, but not because I hate YYF. I don’t hate YYF at all. I do know they produce yoyos in the United States. Why not work a bit extra to get all their metal yoyo productions done in the United States? This would remove YYF from whining about the high fail rate they get from China. I mean, that’s what I would have done.

My wife and I do try to make decisions to “Buy American” whenever we can, even if that means higher prices. We don’t always do that, we’re not perfect, but we do try.

In closing, a product isn’t inferior just because it’s made in China. A product is inferior if it is made inferior and that’s regardless of where it is made.

Now, since this thread is about the Shutter and whether or not people feel it’s one of YYF’s greatest throws of all time, could we stick to that subject?

Sorry for pretending to be a moderator. I’m a bit tired of seeing some threads deteriorate like this.

1 Like

Yeah. Like I said. Xenophobic.

I have a Taiwanese Aunt, I don’t really think I’m Xenophobic.

Hate to point it out, but having family members from other countries does not by default make you more or less biased toward certain people. I do not think your statement is/ makes you xenophobic, but i have heard that kind of statement way to many times. I really do enjoy the shutter though, easily in my top 5 yoyos. I really appreciate that now many more people can afford a competition quality aluminum yoyo. When I started out, the dv888 was about as good as i could find in metal on yye (the only store i was really looking at, so maybe im wrong lol). Now, recrev, yoyoofficer, and yoyofactory are just a few of the brands offering top quality, competitive grade metals for less than 50 dollars! Simply amazing.

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong. I prefer American made, but as long the factory uses good equipment and materials there is really no reason for their products to be inferior.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure a moderator wouldn’t be acting like the white knight of the YYE, so you won’t have to worry about being one.

Anyway,
07 888
Loop 720s

Can’t we just talk it out?

Blasted shutter is the best value in ages.

Absolutely.

They took a fantastic playing yoyo and gave it a super low cost so nearly anyone could afford it.

If that wasn’t enough awesome, then they went and offered blasted versions at the same price.

Yeah. Things are good right now!

I still like the Equilateral better, but seriously, the Shutter is getting a lot of well deserved hype, and it’s well worth at least twice the retail price.

What Studio said, it is worth at least twice its price. Mine plays heavy. I mean, I’m sure mine plays like every other Shutter because it plays great and I’ve been extremely happy with it since the purchase, but that being said, I feel it plays heavier than the 67.8 this website states the Shutter weighs. Other frequent throws in my arsenal include the Yeti and the Phenom, both of which outweigh the Shutter while feeling lighter on the string.

But to answer the original post, is it one of YYF’s greatest throws of all time? Absolutely. This performance and fun at this price? It’s not just one of YYF’s greatest throws of all time, it’s up there in the best bang for your buck of all time.

Absolutely! In some things, China makes the best in the world!!!

Absolutely! In some things, China makes the best in the world!!!

BACK THE TRUCK UP!

There is an actual YYE store? Physical store? In MA? That you can walk into and look around and pick stuff up and buy stuff?

Um, not to become part of this, but apart from goods or services that are culturally Chinese; what “things” do China make better than anyone else? I am sure you are correct, but I just can’t think what it/they might be…

Hate to derail the already derailed conversation, but back to the original question:
I’ve thrown a Catalyst, a Hub-stacked Genesis, a Skyline, a Yomega Brain ;), a Chief, a Supernova, an 888, a Glide, and a Shutter (No, I don’t actually own any of the metals with the exception of the Shutter.)
My favorite throw for it’s price is the Shutter. Because it is heavy, it’s got wonderful balance, smooth as heck, spins for 2-5 minutes (with a Center Trac) and can Grind. It doesn’t do any of these individual categories better than any yoyo on the market, but the combination of all of them make it remarkable. And for $50? The Hub-stacked Genesis I find better, but it’s $100! Overall, it does outweigh all of the other metals on the list (I feel.) So, overall, 4 stars. For the price, 5.

1. 401k espionage
  2. Grind Mutant 2
  3. Superstar 2013
  4. small bearing 07 888
  5. Protostar