Do unresponsive pocket plastics exist? If so, what's your favorite?

Maybe you’re like me and don’t like dinging up any of your metals, so when you’re headed out the door you grab an unresponsive plastic. Maybe your plastic of choice is a Speedaholic XX but it’s incredibly bulky, so you think, “Hey, what if there’s an unresponsive pocket plastic out there that’s smooth like the Speedaholic XX but has a width of 41mm (DD Assassin, General-Yo 5 Star) or below.”

Are unresponsive pocket plastics a thing and if so, are they smooth? Which ones should I be looking at regardless?

9 Likes

The Magicyoyo Crystal K2 is 43mm wide. It’s my daily carry right now. Plays fairly smoothly and is comfortable in the hand. Dirt cheap, too, though the strings they come with aren’t the best.

6 Likes

The DocPop BoltXP is 38mm wide and is a killer plastic. Very smooth in my experience.

It comes responsive, but the Duncan FH1 is my favorite plastic daily carry. I have one set up with a cleaned bearing and it is unresponsive. The FH1 is not very smooth, but I’d still recommend it over any plastic aside from perhaps the BoltXP.

12 Likes

Whip with a C bearing!!!

6 Likes

Agreed, the new Bolt is awesome. Spin time won’t be as long as a metal, but that’s part for the course. It regens like a madman though.

4 Likes

Looks like it sold out over the past few days, but hopefully it will restock soon:

Someone said this was great unresponsive, though I’ve never tried it personally (yet).

9 Likes

I would say YYF One with bearing switch to CT is a really good pocket unresponsive plastic throw.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the YYF Velocity is what you’re looking for. Small, plastic, and you can make it unresponsive with some twisty thing built into it. It’s $18 I think, not worth it for me but taste varies !

1 Like

The Bolt XP by DocPop. @Isaac was kind enough to gift me one in our last deal and i have become instantly attached to it. Perfect pocket throw, plasitc and unresponsive with a C sized bearing. It outplays alot of full metal throws tbh

6 Likes

So many to choose from, but I always find myself bringing along my Atom Smasher

It’s not too heavy, spins for a long time, and amazing for fingerspins! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What qualifies as a “pocket plastic”? I mean, pretty much any plastic yoyo (that’s not a 4A yoyo) can fit in a pocket, so I’m assuming this was meant to refer to something smaller than normal. But how small?

1 Like

I would love to release a plastic version of the RBC for $20. It’ll never happen though.

11 Likes

I would DEFINITELY buy that, That sounds AWESOME! But why can’t it be done ??

4 Likes

I’d guess that getting a mold and determining if you want it a little hollow or solid would be a nightmare.

I would love to see a machined delron version or whatever cool plasticy material Glenn has lying around.

Or a wooden RBC with an SPR kit ?

Regardless, we have perfection in the RBC as it is. Out of all my responsive metals, I grab it the most.

5 Likes

You said pocket plastic, I use freehand minis. With counterweight of course.

5 Likes

I don’t know the official classification of pocket, but "…has a width of 41mm (DD Assassin, General-Yo 5 Star) or below.” is what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

Maybe the Iceberg Classic? It’s at 42mm, so right on the wire. Plastic with aluminum rings.

3 Likes

Wedge is the way to go!

It has a width of 47mm and the beefy rims make it super stable on the string.

I carry it everywhere!!

2 Likes

Just to clarify it’s a BoltXP, a modernized version of the original Bolt :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not plastic but Old School Throws, Resto is a top notch pocket throw.

5 Likes