Do Hybrid Yoyos Have The Potential To Be More Powerful Than Bimetal?

Hybrids really play great. My issues with them are how loud they are and the lack of durability. So many old YYJs are cracked.

5 Likes

They can def be pretty noisy! I’ve smacked my iceberg so many times and it’s still perfectttttt

1 Like

You mean people just gravitate more towards metal bodies than plastics even though plastic would give better performance?

Personally havent dabbled much in hybrids since Im afraid Im gonna break them😅. Got a digamma crash coming in tho!

Also anyone ever make any organic hybrids recently?

1 Like

I havent seen any organic hybrids yet. Not sure if there are any

They’re out there! As Ben said, YYJ definitely made a few. There are more, but the ones that come to mind instantly for me are the Jamboo and New Breed. Always wanted these two when I was a kid.

Jamboo:

New Breed:

7 Likes

These look pretty interesting! Thank you for sharing. Do you know if any modern hybrid organics have been made?

1 Like

Not super familiar with modern hybrids tbh, but I know for sure that the Doc Pop Bolt 2 would absolutely be the best example, and only one I can think of/know of that fits the definition of a true organic, and is also hybrid (at least off the top of my head). From more of a performance yoyo standpoint I guess the Topyo Frozen is very loosely organic and also somewhat hybrid? I think the Bolt 2 is what you’re looking for tho.

3 Likes

The Iceberg was my second throw as I had read nothing but great reviews. When it finally came in, I didn’t click with it right and actually thought I’d made a mistake. I was disappointed, but gave it another chance a little while later. Fast forward 7 months and other than it being a little loud, it’s my favorite throw. I throw an Amusing mostly, but when I’m outside, it’s all Iceberg. Super stable, smooth and powerful.

2 Likes

would the Bolt2 count as one?

8 Likes

You can put metal weight rings on a plastic Duncan Freehand One and make your own lol. The only one that comes to mind immediately is the YoyoEmpire O-Ting. Stepped delrin organic with outer ti rings.

12 Likes

I’ve been eyeing the new “Hybrid” by Mowl, which just dropped. It looks wide, but it has beautiful round curves. It’s not the type of metal-plastic hybrid mentioned above, so I’m not sure if this counts.

2 Likes

Hybrid by mowl is nice and fun but is very fast to the point it feels uncontrollable to me.

We have a hybrid in the works that I think is going to make a splash. Just have to polish one thing and it’ll be the king of the hybrids.

19 Likes

Suddenly got the urge to post a LF: Yoyojam Jamboo thread…

:rofl:

That thing looks awesome and I didn’t know I needed one until now.

4 Likes

the only hybrid i own is the yoyojam theory, yes it is more powerful than every bimetal that I have ever thrown (Except maybe the YYR Valkyrie). probably cause the weight is 69g.

yes technically

Where the heck do you get proprietary yoyo weight rings. asking for a friend.

1 Like

there is one or 2 organic hybrids. there’s the “hybrid” from mowl and the Jade from RTFG which i was hyped to see but have not seen anyone at all talk about them and yye and yys dont carry them on the sites

is it organic doh

2 Likes

Yes, this is my favorite Hybrid that’s why I have a few, its powerful at doing tricks

9 Likes

They aren’t really proprietary in any way. The 48mm cap size that the Freehand introduced is a pretty standard size now. Duncan makes their own metal weight rings referred to as “performance rings”, Spingear produces both machined POM and aluminum weight rings, people like Layer Infinity have 3D printed weight rings of various weights available to purchase, or you can just go to the hardware store and pick up a rubber gasket ring that fits into the cap area.

Turning Point, Atmos, Sturm Panzer, Freshly Dirty and several other companies that aren’t Duncan all have yoyos that accept the Freehand standard cap size.

1 Like