Do Hybrid Yoyos Have The Potential To Be More Powerful Than Bimetal?

They were ok, until you took them apart. Or changed the environment they were tuned in.

Wood is not stable.

4 Likes

I’d be curious to know what exactly is meant by “powerful” and how would one go about measuring it in order to make fair and credible comparisons. Subjective assessments are next to useless for answering a question like this, IMO.

I think he’s referring to stability . At least in my opinion that’s the case . The hybrids seem to be great at getting a ton of their weight to the rims. I’ve found the really heavy ones to have some issues with binds but overall really cool

1 Like

Binds depend on too many factors unrelated to spin speed/duration. A yoyo with a narrow gap would return to the hand on fewer RPMs than a yoyo with a wider gap, etc.

2 Likes

I think you would have to calculate the moment of inertia to be able to compare like-for-like, but when you get into physics everything starts to look like a sphere.

Throw Cafe’s Boba:

Each half has a moment of inertia of 14870 g * mm^2 and weighs about 31g, for a total yoyo weight of just under 64g. In comparison, the Cappuccino’s halves weigh about 30g and a moment of 13700 g * mm^2.

An organic shape lets you put more weight where you want on the yoyo, and here it’s mostly rim weight. While the Cappuccino’s light weight and decent stability make it a speed demon, the Boba is a bit slower, more stable, and fun as an everyday throw.

Rain City Skills Loonie

Besides the diameter, two things stand out right away. The first is the use of brass (density about 8.5g/cm3), rather than steel (~7.9g/cm3) or aluminum (~2.7g/cm3). Compared to those alternatives, brass gives you some additional weight in a tiny footprint, while retaining good machining qualities, and looking quite sharp in its raw state. The Littles is the only other all-brass yoyo in my collection. The other thing is the mass - the Loonie is kind of a monster! There is just a lot of brass in it, close to 32g per half.

What that means, in yoyo terms, is that it’s got surprisingly high in-plane angular moment of inertia - each half is somewhere between 1638 and 3276g * mm2, and probably much closer to the top end of that. (I could not get my clumsy caliper into the yoyo to do a better parameterization, sadly.) I generously over-estimated the Flea at 1300, to give perspective.

2 Likes

I think that examining the physics of a yoyo, and the act of measuring its “potential energy” as a spinning object, needs to take more into account than just its mass and radius/diameter. For instance, weight distribution has an important role to play, and that would have to figure into the calculations somehow.

Thank you for posting this because I completely forgot the name and manufacturer.

The O-Ting is one of the best yoyos I’ve played, no joke; the lightness of the body combined with the titanium rims is a really weird combo but it works very well. Which surprised me greatly because 1. it’s plastic, 2. it’s from an ‘obscure’ brand, and 3. they’re only like $30. I keep mine in my car for my ‘emergency throw’. :smiley:

From a physics standpoint, hybrids may have a higher moment of inertia than monometals/bimetals, so it stands to reason they can be designed to be just as or more than stable and spin as long.

5 Likes

This is just a math problem, though, where you need to get a drawing of the profile of the half to be able to calculate what percentage of the body is at what distance from the center. Probably some use for calculus here.

2 Likes

Yeah, I smell an integral involved somehow…

2 Likes

tfw easy draupnir killer could be made with a hybrid but it just hasn’t been done

get on it companies :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

So, there are a few ideas here that I think are worth exploring a little bit.

A) Do we really need more power and/or performance?
B) What exactly is “stability” and what is the relationship between stability and power?
C) In theory and in practice, what should yoyo design optimize for?

3 Likes

Well,

A) How do we even measure “power” or “performance”? These terms are still stuck in the realm of subjective assessment, in my view.
B) Stability is the gyroscopic resistance against precession or forced tilt (by the player). Since we don’t have an agreed upon definition of “power”, we can’t really posit what the relationship is between it and stability.
C) Different yoyo designs have different objectives. There is no one goal (or set of goals) that all yoyo designs do–or should–try to “optimize” for.

3 Likes

but what does it mean if even the POM draupnir didn’t kill the draupnir :thinking:

1 Like

It can’t be the same design because these use different materials. A normal monometal vs the same monometal with the rim as steel would be 20g heavier

Power is the rate of completing work (or applying torque) in a given amount of time. Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm . H = T x rpm/5252

In yoyo this would be how long high RPMs are maintained throughout the duration of spin.

I do like your definition of Stability

3 Likes

I can get on board with this definition. It should be possible to build a rig that applies a known amount of force to the outer rims to induce spin and then measures RPMs over time with some reasonable sample rate. How this RPM curve then gets translated into a “power” measurement is an exercise left to mathematicians.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, the only relevant torque on the yoyo is air resistance and drag from the pads, you’re the one applying the power not the yoyo haha (unless I’m stupid and can’t think rn)

2 Likes

Probably need to be a drop test to compensate for the variable, when measuring RPM.

But you are right, some players throw harder than others.

3 Likes

I believe any differences in a drop test would be attributed to other factors, primarily rim weight, differences in pads and string length, etc. Power would be from the torque being applied, once the yoyo is on the end of the string, the only power is from drag forces slowing it down.

That it wasn’t the Draupnir killer :slight_smile:

something’s gonna come that’ll de-facto dethrone draupnir

eventually

maybe :sweat_smile:

1 Like