Do Hybrid Yoyos Have The Potential To Be More Powerful Than Bimetal?

The iceberg v2 is one of the first yoyos I got when I started throwing again. I havent threw it much since I have gotten a lot better and recently started using it again. The first thing I immediately noticed is that it feels like it has more power than most of my bimetals so it made me super curious?

6 Likes

I’m curious, too.

2 Likes

The best hybrids have certainly given me that impression, but I don’t know if its actually true or just their play feel. I really love hybrid yoyos and I throw mine a lot.

4 Likes

yeah exactly! I’m talking about high quality machined hybrid yoyos. Maybe you can push more rim weight and make the body lighter?

1 Like

I think they are capable of performing just as well as a bimetal but I don’t know about “better”. The iceberg has a ton of rim weight which I feel gives it a ton of power

2 Likes

I just feel like no matter what combo I throw on the iceberg it comes back to my hand harder (actually hurts sometimes) than most of my bimetals

Interesting question. Beyond anecdotal evidence; I wonder how you would “prove” this?

3 Likes

Thats why I turned to the community for answers. Curious based on my own personal experiences

I was actually thinking about this topic the other day. If plastic/steel allows for a more extreme weight distribution, shouldn’t it be more common to see players using hybrids?

As popular as the Iceberg, Surveil, and other hybrids are, I feel like I rarely see them being posted in trick circles and such. I’ve seen the rooc being used by the occasional 3A player, and the digamma crash has shown up a couple times recently because it’s new. But beyond that I only ever really see them posted as mail day acquisitions.

I mostly settled on assuming it’s just because there’s a smaller selection of hybrids. It’s easy to find a bi-metal you love, but with hybrids there’s only a small pool to pick from. So if you don’t love one of them, you’re just not going to be playing hybrids period. With bimetals people tend to just gravitate towards the ones they like the play of the most, not the ones with the most extreme rim weighting.

5 Likes

That could def be the case! Way more bimetals than hybrids

1 Like

I’m not a yoyo designer but that’s my theory.

5 Likes

Hopefully we can get a few designers to chime in. Wya @hobbygod

2 Likes

For a well designed hybrid, I don’t see any reason why they can’t be more powerful than a bimetal. The extreme difference in weight between the body and rims gives the yoyo incredible power and stability.

@mable maybe hybrid yoyos aren’t used as much due to noise as well. They are really noisy to play with and are much, much louder than bimetal yoyos.

3 Likes

Kinda depends. I think with polycarb you can keep the body lighter, but you also have a lot of moving pieces with the guts, rims, hub and what not. Tough to say if it’s more powerful than a normal bimetal but it’s definitely in the same ballpark.

4 Likes

I do not remember where I read this I think it may have been a right up on the original iyoyo iceberg or a video about yo-yo physics. Nerdy.
I believe the weight ratio between Stainless Steel and Polycarbonate is 7/1
I believe the weight ratio between Stainless Steel and Aluminum is 3/1

Of course I know slight differences in the type of poly, Al, SS, this is the information I have come across so I believe the answer is yes the polycarbonate/stainless steel yo-yo can feel and be more powerful. I am not a physicist so I could be very wrong.

3 Likes

Yes.

Will people care?

No.

YoYo Design is unfortunately redirected by consumer trends and fads that often lead it from increased performance.

YoYoJam already won this war once. Now they don’t even get mention.

23 Likes

Ive never even seen a hybrid yoyo!. Just getting back i to throwing after a long hiatus. They sound awesome!

What are the top hybrid throws atm?

I have a butter and a collapsar on order, but thinking about it, I may want a slightly cheaper or stronger yoyo to bring with me when Im in the mountains (scrambling, rock climbing etc)

Id hate to lose my collapsar off the side of a cliff lol…

2 Likes

I thought about mentioning YoyoJam, but figured nobody wanted to hear me carry on about them again. YYJ was definitely the beginning of my love of hybrids. The early YYJ hybrids offered so much more performance than anything else available that it was almost unfair. In fact, I liked the hitman so much I just didn’t feel a need to buy more yoyos (other than more YYJ) for several years. My various YYJ hybrids still get thrown often even though I own many of the latest greatest high performance yoyos.

9 Likes

I’ve liked everything from iyoyo (which is run by a former YYJ team member), C3 makes very good hybrids also. The mowl surveil is every bit as good as the bimetal surveillance, I prefer the hybrid over the bimetal. I’ve tried a couple of the topyo hybrids, but they didn’t impress me as much. Pick the shape/specs you like best and go for it! You see the iceberg on the BST pretty frequently, so it should be pretty easy to pick one up second hand if you want to save a few bucks.

2 Likes

I appreciate your response. I have so much respect for you!

2 Likes