Thoughts on metal rim plastics? (Examples: C3 porycrash and Digamma Crash, iyoyo iceberg)

I’ve been on the fence pulling the trigger on some of these models due to their price…….I’m in that mind frame of “if it’s not metal, it’s not worth the price.” But things have come a long way since the yoyojam metal rim stuff, so if you have any experiences of these or other metal rim throws, tell me what you think of them and if they are worth going for.

2 Likes

I have been mostly playing my digamma crash for close to a month now. Love it. The clack sound it makes while binding is fun and its plenty powerful. Also some folks said that hybrids like these are super loud but that hasnt been the case for mine. If the bearing is quiet so is the yoyo.

1 Like

I’ve only tried two: The current Iceberg and the YYF Overthrow. The first time I threw a bi-metal it felt like it was hard to get moving as if there was a delay from when I threw it til it hit full speed (obviously that’s probably not actually possible). The Iceberg felt that was, but even more extreme. The overthrow feels a little more balanced to me where not all the mass is in the edge. I’ve heard people say that about the Mowl Surveil as well. Hopefully this info helps.

As for sound, seems like the Iceberg is pretty quiet. The Overthrow can amplify the bearing sound a bit, but it’s not crazy imho.

1 Like

I haven’t personally played a hybrid yoyo but have had my eyes on a tri material yoyo like the trion crash or top yo frozen.

That being said here is a thread wherein people talk about hybrids vs bimetals and whether or not hybrids have the potential to be “more powerful”. In summary, modern hybrids are very good, people like them a lot so you probably can’t go wrong with any of the yoyos you mentioned in the title, pick what appeals to you the most.

2 Likes

I have an Iceberg v2, and in my opinion, they are worth it. Mine makes noise, not necessarily loud, but I had to relegate it to my “outside” throw. It’s phenomenal, though, and tons of fun. Spin for days, super stable, and the catch/shape is perfect for me. I’ve been looking for something similar in a bimetal simply to have the same performance inside :laughing:. I have a Redacted coming and hope it’s at least similar. Definitely go for it if you can as I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Btw…I’ve bangs mine on concrete a few times, scratched the rims, and it’s still smooth and powerful. I actually want a second one to keep nice, but don’t really need it.

2 Likes

Did the Redacted come? Thoughts? Thanks, enjoy!

1 Like

The whole Ting Series is Amazing. The POM Draupnir I like like better than the Real Draupnir. Can’t believe how smooth and good most of them are. I’ve stuck with the machined Pom and metal tho.

2 Likes

It did. I was spending some time with it before commenting. I put it in the other thread to keep it on topic. Bottom line: great throw! I really like it a lot, and it’s found a place in my daily rotation.

I’ve only got two. The Iceberg and yesterday a new mini hybrid called Gemstone.

In short. They’re great. The Iceberg (V2) is powerful and extremely stable. Some people think it makes a lot of noise. I don’t think mine does. Mine is a B-grade with a couple of very small cosmetic flaws.

It’s beautiful and powerful and I like it. It’s probably the longest fingerspin throw I own. The Steel rims combined with the cup in the middle make it have a LOT of power and stability in a spin. It’s not fast feeling. But I’m not a fast player anyway so that doesn’t matter to me.

3 Likes

I just recently got the Digamma Crash, and its hands down the best performing yoyo i have. Super stable and long spinning, i can really notice the difference. It almost feels floaty but in reality its probably just a reluctant mover compared to most, it isnt heavy but plays slower. Can definitely be pushed to be played with speed but needs to be deliberately so. I also have the OD Rally which i love as well. Plus the polycarbonate body really gives me the old school toy vibe with modern performance. I firmly believe every true modern yoyo enthusiast should have at least one.
Dont have one? Get one.

4 Likes

I’m just a simple country thrower, but honestly I believe just about anything could be dead smooth. A favorite from not to long ago was the Dark Magic 2 by yoyojam. I can’t believe they’re so prominent still, but for years they’ve been able to be dead smooth.

1 Like