Not a site improvement, but I’m not sure where else to post this.
Can my account and all my posts be deleted @jhb8426?
Not a site improvement, but I’m not sure where else to post this.
Can my account and all my posts be deleted @jhb8426?
FWIW Glen, many of your posts make significant contributions to the community and would be a significant loss to delete.
That said, I believe if you should be able to tag @moderators and they should be able to help you out.
Could deactivation be an option? Are you getting a bunch of emails and stuff you don’t want? I don’t mean to pry, but Keith is right. You have been a cherished member of the community and it would be a real loss of knowledge and history.
You do not owe it us though, you are free to do what you want.
I asked to have my old account deleted 8 years ago in an attempt to stop me from spending so much money on yo-yos (now I’m back hunting again). The account wasn’t fully deleted, but the profile info was blanked, the password was changed, and the name was changed to random numbers and letters.
You might have to move to Europe…
[privacy laws]
This is a shocker, Glen! Like others have said, you contribute so much around here, I’ll hate to see you go!
It’s difficult to remove an account and all posts. We prefer to anonymize accounts as Ian Bender noted. One reason not to delete all posts is that it often times leaves a discontinuity in an otherwise useful discussion.
Would love to try my hand a turning some throws one day, and would very much appreciate the opportunity to trawl your past posts for info and inspiration.
Thanks, @jhb8426.
I would like that done with mine, please.
Why would you be compelled to want to do that Glen?
Is there an issue that came up to bend you in that particular direction?
You have been an integral part of the forum community for many years now.
You made some excellent products and provided the readership with some very useful information.
What would compel you to want to remove yourself from yo-yo history so to speak?
Have you been breathing too much wood dust?
I don’t think Glen owes anyone an explanation and if he wants to delete or otherwise disable his account that’s his own personal decision.
I would just hope we can preserve the posts he has made as I do believe they are a net benefit to the community and it sounds like that’s totally doable and in fact preferred by the mods.
I mirror this sentiment. Do what you need to do @anon5341354 I wish you well.
Evetyone’s in their right to both ask why and both ask how can we preserve this. If I quit tomorrow (despite contributing nothing) I sure hope people would make a stink about it too. I’m glad we can all get behind someone and support them while preserving their legacy for others.
Whatever your reasons may be Glen, I and many others stand behind you. I may not have been here for so long that I know you personally, but I can see how much others do. Take care of yourself regardless what you choose. The sun shines bright either way.
good luck man, a lot of us will miss you. i hope the avenue you decide to travel is prosperous and healthy. godspeed brother.
Very sad to see you go! You have contributed a lot to yo-yo history and glad all your knowledge won’t be lost and just anonymous.
good luck on the other side!
@anon5341354 - Sad to see you withdraw from the community. Equally sad that you wish to remove record of the positive contributions you have made. I do thank you and wish you well.
The Delete command is in your brain.
Give us the middle finger and go away, don’t come back…Simple enough.
Your presence has been impactful, although I have never been inspired to buy a yoyo from you, your creativity will be sorely missed.
Keep a cool tool.
Good luck Glenn hope to see you back after this awful administration and tariffs are done!! See you later bro!
Rock
I’m gonna give you guys or whoever me fall into this thread, an abstract example, a parallel so to speak, so that you may better wrap your heads around the logic or illogical values of Glens request.
Let’s say a guy becomes a regular on a forum that customizes Mazda Miata cars.
This guy knows a lot about the cars. Maybe not as much as anybody, but he knows a lot of stuff that will help other enthusiasts accomplished things in short order.
How to maximize power. How to maximize speed. Playing with carburetors. Modifying your suspension. Painting the car yourself. How to detail your car and just in general anything that has to do with a Mazda to hot rod it so to speak, this guy has the answers
He’s a regular on the forum for 12 years. He starts about 7000 topics and ends up over a 12 year period getting over 36,000 likes. He makes friends all over the world and gains respect because of his generosity and his knowledge.
People either come to the forum regularly to see if he post anything new where they come to the forum regularly just a reference things… I should say gems of knowledge that he has posted up over many years.
One day, he sees a fully hot rodded 1955 Chevy two-door hardtop, tearing rubber up and flying down the road screeching in every gear with a very impressive level of awesomeness.
In an instant, he decides that’s his next mission. Go find a 55 Chevy somewhere and turn it into a beast.
So he does some Internet, searching and finds a classic Chevrolet modified to monster level forum.
He falls right into place and that’s his new love. 55 Chevys.
Right about the time people are wondering why they haven’t seen him around. He comes back to the forum that hot rods Miata’s and tells everybody it’s been a nice run, but I found some other mission that I need to accomplish, so I won’t be posting here anymore. Hopefully all the useful information that you guys have told me I have provided will.be a good source of information for some of you and anybody knew that lands on this forum. It’s been a pleasure to be here for the last 12 years. Every day hasn’t been fun, but for the most part, I was glad to be part of the forum and glad to be help and thank you very much for all the likes I received. I’m not sure if I deserve them but hell I’ll take them, lol.
I probably won’t be back, so I wish you all the best and I’m leaving all my posts intact. I hope my information help helps get some of you guys down the road. Blah blah blah best wishes to everyone and I’m out.
Now, obviously, that abstract parallel is the fantasy option for people that have their head on straight and actually wanted to be helpful and let the information that they provide provided be helpful for years to come.
Here is option two. This is the one that Glen decided to choose>
…… I will no longer be visiting this forum. I will no longer contribute to this forum. I will no longer talk about yo-yos to anybody related to this forum. I want to know if it’s possible to completely erase anything that had to do with me over the last 12 years regarding this forum.
All my 7000 topics… My 36,000+ likes… All the comments I made to other people in the process of trying to be helpful… Anything something and everything that has to do with a mention of my name, my screen name my products or my contributions, I would like to have erased.
….No beef suggested. No discussion of why? No hint of why there would be an advantage to that route.
Glen just wants to ‘Erase’ his 12 years of forum contributions without a single hint of ‘why’.
…..Not a normal way out….
Something much deeper going on.
Does he owe an explanation to anybody? Not at all.
Should anybody be mad? Not at all.
Will we miss him? We certainly will.
Could he ‘take a powder’ using a better escape plan? No doubt he could
Does it make any logical sense that a person that’s been helpfully contributing to the YYE forum for 12 years, to basically Excommunicate yourself and take your fountain of useful information with you? It doesn’t make any sense to me
Does it have to? Nope
….I don’t have a perfect answer, simply because I am not a mind reader. Only he knows what’s going on. Me or anybody or everybody else that may be following this thread, unless they know something we don’t know from directly communicating with him, their guest is as good as ours.
So I guess the bottom line is, he’s free to do whatever he wants. And nobody should be glad and nobody should be mad. And the forum will go on as it has for years.
Without any direct answer from him, I will admit I will probably think about it now and then for some time just because I’m a curious guy. And over the decades, I’ve known several people, that whatever they were doing when they decided to bail they wanted to take everything with him like they were never there.
Life is a mystery.
, Glen is a great guy. Very personable. Great sense of humor. Great skill set. Always willing to help. A great listener. And he definitely wrote a lot of useful posts that provided great information and were much shorter than most of the posts I’ve ever made, lol.
Many of you newer guys and girls and whatever, might not even be very aware of who he was or who he is?
The best option now is for Andre to allow him to be anonymous, but leave all his words of wisdom in the database of the forum
I think it would be pretty sad and honestly sort of selfish for Glen to want his information to vanish when others by the hundreds have found it so useful.
It doesn’t make any sense, but then I guess it doesn’t have to.
I guess there’s actually no law to do anything legal that you wanna do and not be compelled to give an explanation for it.
I pretty much only speak for myself over to many years. I’ve been on this forum. But I will make an exception here.
I think all of us that knew Glen will miss him to one level or another. It would be like sitting at a giant dinner table and right before we start to eat we notice there’s one chair with nobody in it
The end
Nothing is actually wrong. I just keep getting likes on some old posts I find embarrassing. Lol. I’ve just said a lot of what I think is really dumb stuff over the years and would like it gone or simply anonymous. Haha.
I honestly this would just be a quiet little post that nobody would really notice and the moderators would just get the job done. It’s not a funeral or anything. I will still lurk a bit and might even at some point begin again under another user name. Yoyo is a very hard thing indeed to quit entirely.