Cutting the same length string everytime?

I’m curious what others have done to come up with a solution for making a loop and cutting string so it is the same exact length every single time. I’m not talking - about 1 inch over the Belly or whatever.

how can I make string length the same everytime (within reasonable amount to not notice)

what are some of your methods? I’m looking for a quick and easy way to make this happen

3 Likes

i find having equal
string lengths is not effective for me, being that the diameters on the throws
i play vary. what plays great on one is a cat smasher on another

9 Likes

The belly button method works pretty well for that. Unless of course you grow really fast. :wink:

6 Likes

connected to the yoyo*

1 Like

my method is diabolical, hold on…

Brandon Vu has a video over this where he shares a technique he uses

:joy:

3 Likes

here we go:

My ‘method’ (lol) is to wear shoes/sandals, on a thick rug, yoyo resting on the ground b/w feet, centered on my middle, middle finger width at the knuckle just above my belly button, plus a fatguy leeeeaaann back… ensuring when leaning back forward, there is no slack in the string (gotta
let that string gently glide)

perfect every time :wink:

6 Likes

I do almost the exact same thing except I go four fingers above my belly button with a lean back. I trap the yoyo between my feet. Once the loop is tied in it this turns out to be precisely the length of a knot bad string which works well for me most of the time. It’s amazing how constant this turns out to be.

6 Likes

My mom is a tailor so i have access to her sewing ruler, which i use to measure my string length

6 Likes

I’ve been super consistent recently by switching to One Drop strings. Not only are they cheap but they come w/ loops pre-tied and are the perfect length :laughing:

Otherwise I just eyeball it and am not super consistent between throws. I know some people have like a “golden string” that they measure others against when they cut new ones.

1 Like

Yes, I have been playing some no-name slick 8 strings with pre-tied loops since forever. The length suits me fine. I bought a large quantity that will last me quite some time.

2 Likes

I Never cut strings…

I find it much simpler to just yoyo while standing on the very top edge of a building.

That seriously limits any chance of me hitting anything.

…Unless I slip. And then my chance of hitting ‘something’ increase dramatically.

11 Likes

Cutting my string to the belly button is super short for me. I usually cut mine about an inch below my nips. I didn’t realize I was using a long string lol

4 Likes

I always thought my belly button was kinda low. So I just got a permanent marker and drew another belly button about 6.37 inches above the original one.

You can also fine tune whatever string length you have on a yoyo buy simply going barefoot or wearing various heights of shoes depending on your string situation.

Warning for 2A players, though.

One night I was throwing 2A and my new strings were too long. So instead of reaching for a Machete or straight razor, I just tied the strings to my wrists. Actually not as bad as I thought until I tried some vertical punching bags.

I ended up slapping myself silly.

I am now allergic to the sound of clapping.:wink:

11 Likes

sounds like a hassel

1 Like

Oi, this makes me feel better…I too do the “fat guy lean back” when measuring string!

4 Likes

there are quite a few of us… ernie from general
yo mentioned it too when i brought it up :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Couldn’t you just measure your new one and old one together for the trim?

3 Likes

it stretches after use

3 Likes