Cubing Corner

The basic idea is to solve each piece one at a time without messing up the rest of the pieces. Look it up on youtube. There are plenty of tutorials online.

I kinda need a better explanation of which is better, roux or cfop. I think itā€™s like this: roux is way easier to get sub 20, but cfop has more potential (like world records).

I think itā€™s the opposite actually, due to lower move count in STM, and the lack of cube rotations, roux has the potential to be much faster. It is harder to get faster initially, because look ahead is so much more difficult.
With cfop, you essentially place stationary pieces in the least visible layer, which is your cross, and you donā€™t have to worry about them for the entire solve. With roux, you have the m slice open for a majority of the solve and so pieces can be hidden in the biggest blind spot on the cube DB edge. Leaving this slice open makes for opportunities to make much more efficient pairings of pieces and blocks, but it is detrimental to look ahead. At a world class level, nearly everyone has extremely good look ahead, and this matters less.
Letā€™s take a look at the best solvers with each method.
Feliks zemdegs (cfop)
Official single
52 moves = 9.1873 TPS
Official average
Unofficial ao100

Alex lau (roux)
Official single
42 moves =7.0469 TPS
Official average
Unofficial ao100
Low 6.8x

As you can see Feliks gets significantly faster times in competition. However, this is likely due to the nerves that Alex Lau gets in competition, which he has stated multiple times.
However, what is really interesting is that Alex Lau has a very similar ao100 as Feliks Zemdegs. Whatā€™s even more interesting is that Alex Lau achieved this average over a year ago, and at that time he was the only person to get a sub7 ao100. As far as I know he took a break after that, and hasnā€™t practiced as much. Very recently (two weeks ago) feliks beat this average, and he currently holds the uwr.
It should also be noted that although Feliks Zemdegs is faster, there are also many more CFOP solvers, and it makes since that a more widely used and experimented with method would be faster.

Another thing to note is the TPS on their official singles, Feliks zemdegs had more moves and so he had to turn faster to achieve that time. If Alex Lau had the same tps his solve would have been 4.57, over a second difference. Roux is way more efficient. You can always turn faster, but there is a limit t efficiency within methods.

As for what is better, that is for you to decide. In my opinion it goes as follows.
Best if you do mainly two handed solving
Roux
Best all around (big cubes, one handed, etc)
Cfop
Best if you mainly do OH
ZZ

I have tried many times to switch to roux but I like OH and two handed so I have always gone back to CFOP.
However, I have decided to take a few months and try to become sub 15 with roux.
If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Ps. I forgot to mention this earlier, but you should try to become more Colour neutral. I have found that it is much more useful to roux than cfop, although I am on cfop. At least try to become x2, y2 Colour neutral.

Oh jeez my main cube is dying and I donā€™t know which one to get. I could get another aolong, or a Gans, the new Gans, the new moyu, the yuxin, the yueying, guangying. I donā€™t know which one, there are too many cubes

Okay, thanks for that info. About that P.S., I just started trying to. Itā€™s not too impossible, because I guess roux is easier to become color neutral because itā€™s more intuitional.

I want to get a speed cube right?

I just solved a cube blind using U2 and old pochmann both for edges. Itā€™s really interesting, because itā€™s not overly complicated, and itā€™s a good way to get around difficult maneuvers in both situations.

A normal rubikā€™s cube is okay until youā€™re about under 40 or 50 seconds per solve. Of course, if you can find a speed cube thatā€™s as cheap as a rubikā€™s cube or some other company that makes cheap cubes, go for it.

The newer stock of rubikā€™s cubes are ā€œspeed cubesā€ now. They are 100 times better than the original but yeah speed cubes are much less frustrating haha

I heard that the adjustable ones are ok but the ones that I found at a store are just horrendous.

Wellā€¦ Donā€™t I look dumb now. Almost got a sub 11 ao5 today.

We were all there once :slight_smile:

Iā€™m getting sub 30ā€™s all the time now, but am only halfway through the full PLLā€™s.

Gonna learn em all!

Full pll should help a lot.

Got a bunch of sub 25 last night ;D

Great job

1 Like

I had no idea there were this many yoyo/cubers
Im averaging about 24 now

Itā€™s not very good, but itā€™s a start: 2:11:63 average for OH over 5 solves. Iā€™m using petrus because of the U and R moves after the 2x2x3 block and edge orientation. Fortunately, Iā€™m color neutral for this. Do you have a list of algorithms for 2 look corner orientation and permutation? (OH algorithms would be nice.)

OH is hard to get fast at right away but youā€™ll get faster with practice. Bob Burtonā€™s website has OH pll and oll algs. Also you might want to consider learning ZZ if you get into it more.mwhat turning style do you use? Because you should probably get into a more flick based one soon if you havenā€™t already.

Iā€™ll check it out. I donā€™t really know what you mean by turning style. I do only R, Rā€™, U, and Uā€™ moves while changing the orientation of the cube if that means anything.

Let me just say that I can not cube no matter what, but those who can are awesome. I can get one side, not even two. I ran into a 9-year-old the other day that was rushing and getting into so many cool designs it was epic.

You should try zorro. I think youā€™d like it. I can reccomend a tutorial for you if youā€™d like.

And stuartww. Could you possibly film a solve or two oh?