Convince me to buy fancy "boutique" string

just to cross-reference a bit, why not try a “local” blend? there’s a bunch of guys on this thread who twist strings! buy them? nah. no need to. but if you’re in the mood for a twist of a different color, why not ask one of the forum bros to spin you up something nice? you want boutique? try HAND MADE CUSTOM STRING!!! whoa. just a thought. I’m sure a few of our guys here would love to spend 40 cents to get you something spiffy. shrug. think ABOUT it!!!

2 Likes

I usually find it more productive to convince people to buy me things. I’m worth it! Just ask me. :wink:

2 Likes

I recently received 8 different MarkMont blends, some airetic’s, zip lines, & YYSL plutonium. They are all so much better than the “regular” stuff that I can literally never go back to anything that isn’t fancy.
Kinda like how Jelly Belly’s are so much better than generic jellybeans. Or how once you start going to a chiropractor you can never stop.

9 Likes

I know that fancy string would be much better in some ways than bulk, but why bother?

I mean, it costs much more and really, bulk string just works. I just have no compelling reason to go boutique if bulk works.

It’s the same attitude I have toward the car I drive. I drive an old 1998 Toyota Starlet. It is not a cool car, but its works for me, so I keep driving it with hardly a thought that I could have something better.

Even so, I appreciate the craft that goes into the strings that all you folks make. Some amazing colours and a lot of R&D would go into it.

4 Likes

Depending on the string type, its not rly much more expensive if you think about it.

If a poly string only lasts 1 hour for me, but I can get 8-10 hours minimum out of 1 airetic, it comes out to about the same price.

I can agree though that there is nothing wrong with normal poly, and ive used bulk poly for 10 years before rob sent me some samples of airetics

3 Likes

I’ve mostly only ever used bulk poly and it’s just really annoying how quickly it turns into trash tier string. It’s fantastic at first then 20 minutes later it’s just awful to use.

3 Likes

Well kinda depends on which type and material

And yes im talking about kitty 1.5. Great when its fresh, but after a bit it becomes a wire saw

1 Like

@Glenacius_K

I usually burn through bulk poly in 20-45 mins. At the 45 min mark the poly string is typically completely lifeless and takes so much extra effort to whip that if I don’t switch it out I end up with a sore shoulder, elbow, wrist, whatever, or it’s just mentally exhausting adjusting to the sudden timing differences in the way the slack forms—it’s much worse in poor lighting, which I sometimes can’t avoid. So I change the string every 30 mins tops most of the time, depending on what I’m working on. At 24 cents per string for bulk, that’s 48 - 72 cents per hour.

I’ve been using a single OD Choice for 3 hours, and I’m just now starting to wonder if I should change it out… but only because it’s a bit visibly worn. But we’ll cut it off at 3 hours since I can’t throw right now and at least for another few more days :confused: Those are 80 cents per string, or about 27 cents per hour with much less fuss.

“Fancy” string can actually be much less expensive and less of a headache.

I also just started trying some Markmont. formulas, and I’m having a similar experience as with the OD Choice string, but they reportedly last even longer. I will see though as soon as I can get back on my feet.

2 Likes

I’ve been throwing my OD Choice Cuts for like at least 5 hours and it’s still going strong.

1 Like

Werrd. That’s about what I expect to actually get out of them based on the wear so far, if not a bit more—I seem to go through poly about as quick as you, so… Between them and the Markmont.s, I can’t imagine there possibly being anything better, or even feel like trying anything else anytime soon. The ODs are a little thicker and I like them better in a few throws, so I’m keeping both no matter what.

2 Likes

What kind of tricks are y’all doing that bulk poly just lasts an hour? I know bulk poly isn’t anything special, but i use mine for a good 2 - 3 days (with 1 or 2 hours of use per day) before changing them up.

3 Likes

I mean it’s not like they stop working. They just feel awful.

3 Likes

I find that cotton strings I use on my fixed axle yoyos last longer than poly on bearing yoyos! :scream:

1 Like

I made the switch years ago to Kitty Fat. And for a while I was going between Kitty Fat and YYSL Type X, Last year I ended up trying some YYSL Plutonium and really enjoy that string a lot. This Summer I ended up getting a bunch of Markmont Formulas (both 65 and Cumulous Foam) as well as Zip Lines. Both of the Markmont strings play exceptional and the 65 is a very good all around string. The Cumulous Foam is really great stuff. Long lasting and great at extending play. The Zip Lines are also quite excellent as well!! I am running all of my yoyo’s between the Type X, Plutonium, 65 and Zip Lines at the moment. I really like them all!!

5 Likes

the homemade cotton string I make lasts much longer than most commercial cotton string I’ve used. I wish I could take credit for the durability, but, aside from picking out some high quality thread, I’m making string like everyone else :slight_smile: (except, I’ve given up on synthetic as I don’t have the patience to experiment to find what thread will make a string I like as much as the strings I buy)

1 Like

So during Halloween sale I bought a couple tubes of various YYSL strings.

I bought a tube of the sampler, couple of plutonium, some ammo, and some venom.

Having gone from YoNation highlights, to kitty fat and xl and having liked Kitty fat the most so far I expected to like the plutonium the most. So I picked up quite a lot of those.

I do like plutonium quite a fair bit, and time will tell but having tried YYSL exclusively for the past few weeks, I think my favourite so far is Venom.
It has this je ne c’est pas quality that makes it feel really heavy and dense that just feels so good?

Anyway thought I would share that if anyone is interested. :slight_smile:

buy this dudes string! (@Legit_yoyostrings’s string) it is SUPER good! it has lasted me awhile now the only thing that has happened is it got a bit dirty but it dosen’t affect the play at all

1 Like

Thanks dude I’ll keep that in mind next time I buy. I stocked up on so many tubes during Halloween though I think I have enough to last me for quite some time though at the moment

1 Like

tubes of his string? or just string in general?

1 Like

100th post. Woot.
I’ve been on a YYSL kick lately. The Plutonium are currently a fav. I’m going to have to try some others. I’m learning that I like a fat string. FAT.