Convince me to buy fancy "boutique" string

I have now decided that I will not purchase string until I am on my last fresh one. Then I will snag some Markmonts.

3 Likes

Ziplines doesn’t do any our nylon, which is what airetics are. I personally prefer airetics over ziplines, buuut as far as poly blends go ziplines new smoothie blend may be my all time favorite string. Just the right amount of whip/ air resistance. I find nylons can whip too fast sometime, not smoothies.

2 Likes

Zipline did make a nylon, Skyline I believe they were called

2 Likes

I’m feeling very tempted to try some of Markmont Formulas.

3 Likes

They still do nylons, they’re the “executive class”. They also have executive class light, which is the only nylon from ZipLines I’ve tried as the regular executive class has been out of stock. But from what I understand the two are fairly similar.

1 Like

Sorry that was a typo I meant they didn’t make any pure nylon string. Skyline was still a blend, albeit a very nylon heavy blend. They’re definitely really nice, just not as good as airetics.

1 Like

Dude do it they’re great. I really like the Copernicus, and the cirrus foam. Night moves is really nice too

2 Likes

What is their texture like? Now that I’ve tried a nice poly/nylon blend I’m interested in trying more. I just don’t like smooth and slick string.

Also update:

I’ve put in over an hour of play on this One Drop Choice Long Cut and the only difference I’ve seen so far is noticeable visible wear. They feel and play exactly the same. At this point I’d probably be switching strings normally. I think I’m in love and will definitely be buying some when I go through most of my current string supply.

4 Likes

It feels like really thin rope. The texture is smooth but rough at the same time. I love it because I used to love toxic strings and now Markmont is carrying on the torch. They hold loops open extremely well and whip almost as fast as nylon.

Edit: I just realized you were probably replying to the comment about airetics/ziplines. airetics are not smooth like some other nylons I have tried(some guy gave me one on the BST that felt like plastic) they are very ‘plush’ though, just enough roughness for me but ymmv. Ziplines has two nylon/poly blends, the executive class and the smoothie edition. Executives are somewhat slicker than airetics(which is why I prefer the latter) and a little too grippy. Smoothies are awesome go grab a 5 pack right now if you can. They feel a lot more like a full poly but with the extra performance of nylon fast whips, wide open loops excellent stuff.

1 Like

Strings are one of the areas of yoyoing I tend to obsess over more than others. I have probably 30 different string varieties and like to try everything I can. So i can answer all the questions you have.

1 Like

Have you tried the One Drops i mentioned at all? How do they compare if so?

Unfortunately I have only tried one drops bulk poly, at this point. I have been meaning to try the choice cuts though. I’ll see if I can make an appointment to visit them later this month and pick some up and let you know. But if you like rough string you should try Markmont. Formulas. Specifically nightmoves and cumulus foam. Very rough and very whippy.

2 Likes

I have night moves and cumulus. And cirrus and some others. Most resemble the OG dragons in terms of feel- dense and stiff feel, but slick and smooth. No nylon roughness. Especially night moves. It’s a thin string, but it feels nothing but slick and smooth to me. Still nice strings, but not much like stiff nylon or even a blend

1 Like

Here’s the deal my man,

New string can change your life. You try a new type of string out and it will blow your mind, something thicker, something thinner, just soemthing new. Maybe boutique got that, maybe kitty got that. But trying soemthing new is an experience, and that’s an experience you want to have.

9 Likes

Well said @Nemyo!!!

1 Like

ZipLine also has some new poly/nylon blends and a bunch of signature strings, some being poly/nylon. I had no idea about the smoothies, those have never been available when I’ve checked their store until now. Tempted to try ‘em, but I’ve got two separate string orders I’m already waiting for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Smoothies are my favorite blend by far. Best of both worlds for sure.

2 Likes

Another update on the One Drop Choice Long Cut:

Upwards of 2 hours of play, the only real difference is it feels just a little less coarse and has lost a little bit of whippiness. Plays very close to fresh poly like @Rosenberg said, which I’ve mentioned is my ideal. I will 100% be buying some when I need new string.

4 Likes

I make my own strings and it takes me 2 to 6 hours to brake into my strings completely

4 Likes

Final update on One Drop Choice Cuts:

Upwards of three hours of play (at least). Noticeably frayed, but the only real impact this has had is making the string a little bit less coarse. For most people this would be perfect or a little more rough than they’d like. For me they’re just a tiny, tiny bit less coarse than perfect but it’s far from a deal breaker. Still much better than anything else I’ve ever tried and as close to the perfect string as I think I’ll find. Going to order some in the near future.

4 Likes