contacting RecRev?!

Didn’t all the brand new gears everybody waited so long for show up damaged anyway? Flat spots all over the rims and stuff…

This is likely the reason. If you ever deal with alex in person, he’s an awesome guy. Anyone that goes to dxl meets will tell you that.
I would never order anything from him though. All of my dealings buying from him directly have been in person.

Someone told me he doesn’t even design them, that he just orders them from China. :-[

That does seem a bit unlikely. I’m sure his bad reputation has led to a few unsavory stories about him, so I’d take what you hear with a grain of salt.

If that was true, though, that would be really depressing…

Well this is just not true… let’s keep rumors like this from spreading.

Yes, let’s

the other day, I did look into possible ways to file loss claims. Various USPS shipping methods include some kind of insurance already. But the maximum time to file complaints is restricted. Since I’ve never gotten anything, it would have been easy for him to file something and get some if not all the money back. However, with him not reacting at all, I don’t have anything to file a claim with. And the more time goes by, the more unlikely the rate of success for such a claim becomes. I learned this the hard way when I contacted PayPal about it. They said I was too late to file a complaint (about a week too late).

In the past, I was in a similar situation once. I bought a special edition yoyo from a Canadian manufacturer and the package wouldn’t arrive. So I asked about the tracking number as well. Sure enough, the next day, the package was sitting on my door step, coincidentally. I wrote an email again to the manufacturer explaining that the tracking number isn’t needed anymore and the responds was “Oh good, I was just about ready to re-send you a new yoyo!” Mind you, I had simply asked for the tracking information to find out where that yoyo was and they were ready to send me a new yoyo just like that. That’s how you treat customers correctly!

Likewise, when I had a problem with a damaged package from YYE (which wasn’t their fault!), they reacted quickly and helpfully so that I was able to resolve the issue with the transportation company. Again, that’s customer service at its best.

As for buying from retailers: that’s certainly the better way to buy RecRev yoyos if you really need one. But don’t believe that they are better off then us. I’'m certain that some retailers run into similar problems with Alex/RecRev as we do when dealing with him/them directly.

Hi everyone.
Sorry to say I have no immediate solution or good news to bring. Though, with this issue and others needing to be solved asap, I’m trying to keep on Alex to get these things done. Note that this isn’t my job, I’m not customer service. I’m just a sponsored player trying to help. I’m sorry the time to file a claim has passed for you. It seems like you may have to just wait it out as I continue to remind him of what he needs to do. I was thinking of obtaining peoples stuff and shipping myself, but even I have a hard time getting stuff from him and getting in contact with him. He’ll say, oh don’t worry, you don’t have to ship Anthony, I’ll get it done. So I’m like, oh good, you remembered. Then he forgets later…This is what I’m calling “Alex time”. Once he got the money (mistake), he’s now moving at a stupid slow pace and not caring as much for the customer. This doesn’t mean you won’t get your stuff, he’s not trying to con people or anything, it’ll just take an extra long time with the proper bothering and prying and complaining, and could turn into nothing if you don’t stay on the situation.

As others have stated, PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM ALEX DIRECTLY ONLINE. Only in person, or through retailers. He will sometimes ship with no problems, but there are times like this where it won’t go so smoothly. I can’t blame people for being upset because these business ethics are terrible. People talk to him expecting normal ethics, and then are surprised. Unless you know him personally and know how to deal with him, again, I don’t suggest buying from him directly.

This may be surprising coming from someone who’s on his team. I’m just being honest. How does he get stuff to retailers? I’m guessing because they’re bigger orders, he knows the ones behind the scenes, and to him it probably matters more. Individuals he doesn’t know will go on Alex time from what I’ve experienced.

I understand how to deal with Alex knowing him for so long now. And as the main person on the team, I can get things done for myself. His yoyos are also amazing. He has yoyo making down. There are other small companies where I wouldn’t even play with a lot of their models even casually compared to recrevs where I like most everything he makes. Business and marketing though are his downfall, and I’ve always been aware of this. I continue to support and talk to alex about changes in hopes that it will become a more official company. I’d imagine if he ever gets normal business down, RecRev would be a much greater force. With tactics like these, he’ll always be under peoples serious radar, and people will probably brush off his cheap prices for sub par product when they really aren’t.

Correct, not true. All made in SoCal.

Yes. This is true. He wasn’t as good of a designer at around 15-16. He is now a much better desinger, and if he wasn’t I would leave the team.

I believe most cases like these are resolved, though there are a couple where I heard they weren’t possibly. I don’t know all the stories though… If anyone has trouble reaching Alex in the future, know that you can message me on facebook and at least I can try and help.

2 Likes

why would anybody support a company run by someone who clearly doesn’t give a crap about his customers?

Kyle

3 Likes

Such a shame that this happens and especially with lots of money involved (think of how many ordere of a $100 or more are still unfulfilled) I wasn’t aware of the problems, but now I am and I will definitely be leery of dealing with recrev. I hope that the OP can get this resolved.

I find the effort by Anthony honorable but not enough to get my business, thankfully here are 20-30 (or more) great manufacturers and retial stores for every one that isn’t reputable or honest.

Again thanks for bringing this topic to my (and others that are fairly new to the community) attention so I don’t walk into a bad situation.

Anthony, let me just say you are the reason I yoyo.

Very true, can’t say much here. I know what you mean, though I also can’t say he doesn’t care about any customers when I’ve seen first hand many times where he’s actually being very generous, doing what he’s suppose to be doing, and being responsible with people. Then there are times like these… Mostly instances with shipping to people, especially over seas. No positive side here…

Nobody agrees or is okay with these instances obviously, and people should be aware so this doesn’t happen. If these instances and behavior towards certain customers are reasoning for you not to buy RecRev product, even from other retailers, I wouldn’t argue with you.

Fair enough. It’s not like other companies don’t have problems too mind you (everyone), I hear things… But this kind of stuff from alex is a different level :cry:

Means a lot, thank you :slight_smile:

Oh I know other companies have issues but the ones I’ve dealt with ha e always made things right and not months and months later, I have had two issues and both were handled way beyond my hopes. Thanks for being a stand up guy Anthony! You might be one of the only saving graces in a situation like this.

1 Like

Personally I think Alex should just hire you to handle the customer service/business end of RecRev so he can stick to design and production. It sounds like you’re doing a good deal of that already, and Alex really needs someone to fill in these gaps. Plus you’d be getting a cut which you really deserve as you’re one of the few reasons he’s still in business.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

Anthony… Selective ‘caring’ for customers justifies nothing.

It identifies Alex as ‘Not an actual Businessman’. He is just a slippery guy making some money selling yoyos.

In Business, it is not always what you do right that helps you enough to counter the stuff you do Wrong.

Alex is a grade A certified Flake. Actually in person, the guy is as nice as anybody you could meet. He is quite, mild mannered, soft spoken, makes some generous on the spot cash deals, etc.

But he seems to care very little about individual customers. It almost seems like he thinks they ask for it by being ‘unintentionally dumb’, about his lazy shipping techniques.

And this has been his way since he was a kid, trying to get a MachineShop in Long Beach to bootleg some MG copies for him, lol.

Anthony, you and any other RecRev Team players should all get together and challenge Alex to Make up a list of things to Get Done… Like taking care of the guy in Germany, for example.

Realize that the FARTHER away you are from grabbing Alex by the Neck, the easier it is to Forget he owes you anything. He would not even think about pulling anything on me,lol. I’m local. If he owed me, I would just go hunt him down, no problemo.

I agree with Kyo. Why would you even throw for a guy that deals like that?

His poor Business practices don’t do anything to polish your Rep. >< Anthony Rojas? Uh, sure I know about him. He is one of the very best players in the entire United States and he throws for that Flake that takes kids money and sends them nothing. Yes, yes, Anthony. He comes on the board and tries to justify why his yoyo provider is a Flake. That’s the guy.

Bottom line… RecRev= great playing yoyos, very talented Team members, great prices for performance yoyos, and a Lazy Business owner that needs to step up his Customer Satisfaction index.

Nuf said

2 Likes

I never said it justifies anything.
I was just explaining how I’ve experienced things. People are often very one sided when I hear about this stuff, and understandably so because they view it from the only side they see. Since I’ve known him, I’ve seen it all, and I was trying to stay away from all out bashing him (though he may deserve it), but I actually agree with your post a lot. I’ve talked to him about these issues before. I just didn’t wanna say it all like that lol

Exactly.

My being on the team is a personal matter that I’d rather not discuss in length on the boards, or to many people. It’s complex…

I still think that the best solution would be to have Alex share the management of the company with someone. Obviously designing and producing killer yoyos is something he’s very good at. What he needs is to hire someone to do what he’s not so good at: customer service and business. It doesn’t even need to be Anthony, just someone who’s good at those things (although Anthony seems like the natural choice). It seems like a pretty sound business plan to me, and would make for better business for RecRev and happier customers.

I will say something here.

I know many feel that because of the past, and ongoing issues, that RecRev is a company to be avoided.
I do not believe this is the case and I’d like to point something out.

RecRev is NOT Alex Kim, just as YoyoFactory isnt Ben McPhee, and CLYW isn’t Chris.
RecRev is a yoyo company, that makes yoyos.

And the way I see it, I throw what plays good to me, as a yoyoer, I feel that there should never be anything that would hinder us from playing what we like. Yes its true, companies may have problems, and RecRev certainly has had them in the past, but if their yoyos play good, they get my money, simple as that.

That said, what Alex has done in the past is not OK, by any means, But I wont go off and label him as a “bad guy”. Why? Cause his heart is in the right place, and while his actions don’t show it, if anyone has had the chance to spend time talking to the guy, you will find that he is a genuine guy, who just has issues of being forgetful and procrastinating.

RecRev has been a company that has played a big role in my own yoyo life since before its days of RecRev as Bio Industries. At one point or another, Alex’s yoyo’s have been all time favorites of mine, and helped me further my growth as a player. RecRev makes good yoyos, and I like yoyos that play good.

Just saying, don’t go and say “oh Im never buying a rec rev now” cause of Alex. Give one a try, as Anthony stated, there is something very special about their yoyos, and to be missing out would be a huge shame.

bark

1 Like

I disagree somewhat! Those that own and work for companies surely do represent them and even more so those that own the companies; so in this case Alex Kim is recrev and recrev is Alex Kim you cannot separate a business from a poor owner since the ow era actions and dealings at direct reflections of the company they represent.

The yoyos might be good but of you are continuing to give them your money its just like saying those poor actions are ok and that there shouldn’t be any accountability for their poor actions and dealings, main e money speaks louder then words! If you say all day something is wrong but you are still feed their pocket with cash your words are null and void.)

Actually, you’re wrong.

CLYW is Chris, as he is the sole proprietor of that company. He hires others to help on a freelance basis, but that company is him. He sponsors a team, but they are not the company nor are they responsible for the workings of the company. CLYW is Chris.

YoYoFactory is a company with multiple employees, and the president is Hans Van Dan Elzen so you are correct in that yes, YoYoFactory is not Ben McPhee. You got one out of three. Treat yourself to a milk bone.

RecRev is one guy, Alex Kim, who has been ripping people off for years. YEARS. There are no employees, there is no staff. There’s barely even a team, not that any of them count as the “company”. It’s one person who has ripped off individuals and stores since his first attempt at making yoyos, which was him taking a Freehand MG to a machine shop and asking them to copy it.

Alex Kim is a liar. Alex Kim is a thief. If you defend Alex Kim, you are defending a liar and a thief.

It’s all incredibly simple, really. You can have all the reasons you want for glossing over his lying and thievery but none of them actually explain the lying and stealing, none of them fix the lying and stealing, and none of them are Alex Kim taking any responsibility for lying and stealing.

The issue at hand is that Alex Kim owes a lot of people yoyos and money. The fact that people are willing to stick up for him, over and over, does not say anything good about Alex Kim…it only illustrates that there are plenty of people who don’t care if someone else gets ripped off.

6 Likes