Competition yoyos

So why is your fav yoyo a wooly marmot 2? Why not just use a yyf one? I’m not saying the player isn’t important but I would still appreciate the improved stability, lighter weight, and horizontal ability to help me learn certain tricks. I don’t have the best style, but why does that mean that I can’t try a good yoyo?

My cousin lives in Japan, I wonder if he could get me a bunch of cheap asian throws and ship them to me. Maybe I could make some people happy on the BST (me included! :$) I think I’m going to ask him about a draupnir.

They certainly wouldn’t be any cheaper there… and after Japanese sales tax they’d be far more expensive than buying them here in the first place. You’ll notice the YYR site and many others price things in ¥ and just do a direct conversion for other currencies, not like there’s some secret. ¥19,800 is what it is no matter which currency you convert it to.

I figured, I asked him if he had any shops by where he was at and he said yes, so next chance he gets he said he would check them out. I thought maybe a shop might have them a little cheaper. But at this point I’m not sure if their even available in japan. Guess he will tell me.

You should take advantage of the japanese only sites. Those would be the ones I’d shoot for. You could get rim dipped turning points that no one else has in the states or special edition sOMEThINGS and nobody else has access to. Even NEST has some awesome used stuff on their site that is japanese only.

There’s nothing to analyze or “get”, though. :wink:

I played a whole range of TP and the only one that really stuck out for me was one I wanted to own was the Paranoid. I would take the Paranoid over the Isotope 2, for example.

Yet, the original Puffin is one of my favourite yoyos.

There’s nothing to really “get”… I just like the Puffin and don’t like the Isotope 2. Nothing to quantify. :slight_smile:

Might be tempted to trade the Puffin 2 for the right Paranoid, though. Haha!

Is the YoyoSkeel Satisfaction a good competition yoyo? How popular is YoyoSkeel in Southeast Asia?

As an American, I will gladly say I love Asian throws. Most of my collection is made there anyway. :wink: I have some YoyoSkeel and MagicYoyo. I’d buy more brands, but my budget isn’t up to it yet.

however, I think that if people can do fine with yoyos not designed for copetition is basically because the “evolution” of scoring caused its decay. Just my point of view, based exclusively on y conception of copetition, something we all agree there will never be a consensus.

It’d be hilarious if CLYW released a heavily oriented competition yoyo that just BLOWS away all other yoyos meant for competition. But then people would say “it sucks because it not of ‘so and so’ brand.”

oh well, haters be hatin.

OK GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Werrd makes the best competition yoyos because of the werrd bounty. End of discussion.

jeez, settle down guys. Have a grain of sugar once in a while.

Did you just compare the wm2 to the yyf one?

@ Nikolai
Nobody is perfect, nobody has the perfect technique, no one hits every trick every time. You and me included. What I took from your comment is a mixture of “it’s the player not the yoyo” and “contests are often won with cheap yoyos”.
Both of these statements have already been made, and although they have there merits, I have already dismissed them, my reason being that I would like to try a high end yoyo.

Now, I would like to ask you this: if contests are often won on cheap yoyos, that are obviously good enough for professionals, why are you using a 150-160 dollar yoyo. Perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I said a yyf one, but I was trying to prove a point. Perhaps I should have compared the wooly marmot 2 to a shutter. It’s good enough for gentry stein, so why not for you.

The reason that you like the wooly marmot better is because it is better at the little things, and is overall a more enjoyable throwing experience. I would like to enjoy a different playing experience than I have already felt. That is why I started this thread.

Thanks for clarification

I need to try this Draupnir. Because if it’s more stable and long-spinning than the Valor, it’s gotta be pretty good. :wink:

My understanding is that the main draw of the Draupnir is that it’s incredibly stable and long-spinning while still being light. That’s not the same as just straight-up spinning longer. Mass will help rotational momentum no matter where it’s distributed. BTH anyone? :wink:

Still… there’s an exaggeration going on there… “far” better? Doubtful. Hard to measure in a competition context, though! I mean, if a yoyo is stable enough and long spinning enough to get you effortlessly through your combos, it has reached 100% of its goal. You can’t be at 150%. 100% is the max. If you’re working on a combo and you say, “Dangit, I’m losing spin right before my bind!” then aside from improving skills, it might be worth your time to find a longer-spinning yoyo. But the yoyo hasn’t taken you to 100%. Once you’re at 100% anything else is academic.

To be clear, not dissing on the Draupnir, which I have not played and which I would absolutely love to play. Just saying let’s be reasonable in our assessments and keep them on the ground.

1 Like

Fair point, but on the topic of stability, and spin, 100 % is the max.But if you wanted to add something to a combo, a more long spinning yoyo will help.
It may not come from a draupnir, but I think that one day a yoyo will be so long spinning that people could one throw a three minute final. But I think a strum panzer will probably be able to do that now, based on what I’ve heard.

You could do it with great technique and any number of yoyos on the market. But you’d have to make sacrifices. No matter how good a yoyo is, there are times the string will touch metal or your fingers will touch metal, dramatically reducing spin time.

From that point of view, unless you’re doing tricks meant to minimize reduction of spin time (and making a potentially boring routine) it’s prolly not happening.

yeah I guess your right, no horizontal, no frontstyle, and I guess a good throw is also very important.

So I will also join this funny, long going and probably pointless discussion :slight_smile:

I’m no big star, but I compete really often and I’m close friend with some great competitors in Europe scene. My preference is for competition oriented and lighter yo-yos, my current top yo-yos is Yoyofficer Lava, YYR Draupnir and C3 Krown.

Firstly, I think most yo-yos on modern market are great(or at least good enough) competition yo-yos. Anything with decent catch zone and spin time can work for contest and it doesnt matter if it cost 30 or 200$. Players(and it doesnt matter if big star or just random guy) can pick just about anything and win contest. For example Petr Kavka used maybe 7 different models on different big contest in past year.

Draupnir is big thing in this topic, so I want to talk about CZM8. Yes, CZM8 is heavy and for me super boring to play and I heavily prefer Draupnir to it, but that is all just concidering feel, which has no effect on its abilities during freestyle. Otherwise CZM8 has same shape, imho spin and stability really similiar to Draupnir and is blasted(for many people much more important than maybe slightly better spin on Draup). So why should one pay 150$ more for Draupnir? Both has small advantages, that can help you to go better on stage.

One more thing about Draupnir, it’s light and reacts super fast(and I love it for this), but many people prefers to use heavier and more steady yo-yos for contest. It’s because on stage your nerves are working heavily against you and most people go on stage faster than when they practice. And here it helps if your yo-yo slightly slows you down. I think even Mickey said this, when Anglam was released and there was question, why is it heavier.

In my opinion, there is nothing like best competition yo-yo. There are dozens, or maybe hundreds, of really good competition yo-yos. People will choose them based on their preferences, brand royality, their budget,…, but in the end it will not matter at all what they use on stage.

I know that this discussion is really old, but I stumbled upon it when I was searching ‘Draupnir’.

I couldn’t agree more. I think people are really arguing feel as there are perfectly capable models that have great stability spin and speed at under $50. There is no need at all to more than $100 or more for a ‘competition yoyo’. People can, and have won the biggest contests in the world with plastic or ‘budget metal’ (I really don’t like that term). You really don’t need to spend more than mid double figures to get a perfectly good competition yoyo, but people feel better about spending well over $100 or $200 dollars to get a sense of confidence. You DON’T need to be sucked into thinking you NEED to spend this much - but go for it if that’s your thing!

I totally agree with you about the CZM8, this is easily one of the most boring yoyos I have thrown for a while, I could almost have yawned each time it hit the bottom of the string. However, it is still perfectly capable in every area and a lot of people love it. Good on them!

Why would you necro this