Competition yoyos

It would probably cost more with titanium rims. I’ve never heard any source say they’re titanium. Plus titanium is less dense so it would be counterproductive. I’m like 99% sure it’s stainless. And yeah SG was one of the sites that confirms this, I just didn’t link it because of board policy.

Dang earlier I wrote “7075” when I meant to say they aren’t 7075, further confusing the issue. Gah. Editing…

Format:c was made for competition

If you are only allowed to get 1-2 yoyos a year by your parents and the Draupnir is within your monetary means then I strongly recommend convincing your parents to allow you to buy a Draupnir.

My 2nd place vote would go to the 2014 Genesis which is within your original budget and is the most impressive yoyo I have purchased since the Draupnir.

Is the Pulsar Genesis really that good or do you have a small collection of high-end yo-yos to compare it to? I mean you no offense, I just don’t know how to evaluate statements like these. I’ve been thinking about getting one but I’d be surprised if it were even the fifth best yo-yo I have. I imagine if someone who had tried every major release of the past two years made a list of “Top 20,” there probably wouldn’t be any Yoyofactory’s. But I’m just speculating. I’d be interested in seeing a review of the 2014 Genesis–don’t think there have been any put up yet here.

I had access to all of YYE’s stock this weekend and what I bought was the Pulsar Genesis. I’m not saying that inherently means it was the “best” yoyo in the store… just that it’s the yoyo I felt I wanted to buy that day (well, along with the Diffusion 2).

I honestly need to give it more time before I post an actual review. I was mostly jumping on an opportunity. Sure, I played it and confirmed that it’s great, but I didn’t play it for hours or anything. After trying out a dozen or more yoyos I finally just threw my hands in the air and said, “I’ll get this one and figure out if I love it for the long term later.”

For 5A competition (which I don’t do… just basing this purely on spintime and stability) it’s probably a great competition choice. For 1A competition I would PROBABLY rather be hucking a Valor or a Prestige.

Well that is a pretty ringing endorsement. But on the other hand YYE doesn’t have many of the best Japanese yo-yos in stock. I might buy one next month. Just blew a bunch of money this past month on like 5 Japanese yo-yos. No wait…six. :slight_smile:

Eek. I haven’t bought any American or Canadian yo-yos in forever and I’d like to but they’re always a few spots lower on my wishlist than the latest Turning Point, YYR, or Sturm Panzer. The market is so oversaturated now compared to when I was playing about 8-9 years ago. Back then nobody had ever heard of any Japanese companies…it was all Oxy, Hspin, SPYY, and a couple others. Not like the 100 something companies releasing collectively thousands of models a year, now. Too hard to make decisions. It’s lunatics like me spending virtually all their discretionary income on yo-yos driving the market now, I tell you…

I played all the TP’s they had in stock. Only one I truly loved was the Paranoid.

Keep in mind, this is also from a guy who thinks the Sleipnir is boring, and the Sleip is probably the most highly-decorated Japanese yoyo of the current era.

Best competition yoyo’s currently on the market are In my opinion:

CLYW Chief, Bonfire, Puffin 2, Summit
YoyoFactory: Supernova, 2014 Genesis, Shutter, Superstar, Northstar,
OneDrop: Format: C, Valor, Summit,
Duncan: Torque, Barracuda,
Yomega: Glide, Prodigy,

no asian throws?

1 Like

That means he hasn’t tried any :wink:

he wrote “Best competition yoyo’s currently on the market” so I thought he had
my bad :slight_smile:

It is really good, but probably wouldn’t have universal appeal. People might be put off by the weight but it moves quite fluidly. Still, you can feel that it isn’t the lightest of throws. I like the dimensions, and it’s probably my favorite recent YYF. It’s very stably and forgiving, and although I don’t compete, I would think that it would do well.

1 Like

Not all competitors require YYR and TP for their “weapon of choice.”

There are many different styles of players out there who are much more comfortable with different types of yo-yos.

(Such as the Bonfire, WM2, and even some of those plastics).

The best competition yoyo is anything unresponsive and non-imperial. Haha.

This is stuff I would be comfortable competing with. Remember, ME. This is stuff I think I could use in a competition.

Square Wheels: Royale W/ Cheese, Rockefeller, Nomad

YoyoFactory: All versions of the Supernovas/Severes, all versions of the Genesis, all versions of the SuperStar, all versions of the NorthStar, all versions of the Protostar, 7075 and normal Catalyst (unstacked), Aviator, Champion edition Shutter, Proton, Cyborg, All of the H.O.Ts, Checkmate, Super G, MVP 1 and 2, probably more but this is all I can think of from them.

YoyoJam: Phenom, Phenomizm, DiamondBack, GoBig, FiestaXX, SFX, XLR8, New Breed, all versions of the RexTreme, Destiny, Inspire, Quest, Next Level, Sunset Trajectory, probably more but this is all I can think of.

Duncan: Barracuda, Strix, Torque, Raptor, FlipSide, Freebird, Modded FHZ, Hornet, probably more but this is all I can think of.

CLYW: BonFire, all versions of the Wooly Marmot, all versions of the Arctic Circle, all versions of the Avalanche, all versions of the Sasquatch, Chief, all versions of the Puffin, Yeti, BvM2, Bassalope, Cliff, Glacier Express.

One Drop: Rally, Burnside, T1, Code 1, Code 2, Chik, Dang, Valor, Cascade, Format:C, Summit, probably more but this is all I can think of.

3YO3: Al5

C3YoyoDesign: Alpha Crash, all versions of the DiBase, Capless, all versions of the Capsule, all versions of the Berserker, Krown, DyMension, Level6, Gaia, Solar, Yeah3, Electric Flash, Trident, P-Wave, Mo-Vitation, BTH, Dark Sonic, Dark Star, probably more but this is all I can think of.

Born Crucial: AYCE, Cupcake, Dolce, MilkShake, Delicious, A La Mode, probably more but this is all I can think of.

General-Yo: Basically all of them, I mean I could compete with them all anyways.

RecRev: @, SineSaw, Silly Goose, all versions of the Octave, Oscillatrix, probably more but this is all I can think of.

sOMETHING: Basically all of them, I mean I could compete with them all anyways.

SPYY: Pro, Supra, all versions of the Punchline, Revenger, all versions of the Spyder, probably more but this is all I can think of.

Turning Point: All versions of the Positron, all versions of the Dreadnought, all versions of the Isotope, all versions of the Leviathan, probably more but this is all I can think of.

Yomega: Glide, Prodigy, Modded Raider, probably more but this is all I can think of.

YoyoMonster: Good one (Or as some people call it, the “how to start a flame war with Shai”)

YoyoRecreation: Most of these are set for competition.

Werrd: All versions of the Irony, all versions of the Tre, Eighty-Six 400, Hour, all versions of the “Decision” yoyos, probably more but this is all I can think of.

1 Like

The new Superstar is an excellent yoyo, and TP is Turning Center.

Well Turning Center is the manufacturer for Turning Point but they release their own yo-yos sometimes, and they have different names. It’s like the relationship between Sturm Panzer and Yoyo Laboratory, or certain companies and One Drop. I think it’s worth distinguishing between a brand and the OEM but I see your point nonetheless.

The other issue here is that “competition yoyo” can mean different things to different people. If you want to compete with fast tech stuff, then you’re going to want a yoyo with different specs than those who compete with slower, slack tricks.

I doubt there will ever be one yoyo that everyone agrees is the best, though the Draupnir comes close right now, from what I’ve seen.

My father once told me it doesn’t matter if you have the most accurate high performance gun in the world if your hands are shaky and your eyes are bad

1 Like

True enough. The player is much more important than the yoyo.