Competition yoyos

I do not like using the word “God” for a yoyo. There will always be a better yoyo sometime soon :slight_smile:

But, at this moment, the Draupnir is the best yoyo I am aware of by a wide margin. Its performance is just pure perfection; the definition of joy on a string.

Questioning this statement just means you have yet to throw this wonderful yoyo.

1 Like

Yep I have never tried it. It is hard to convince my parents to let me buy it though so I may have to hold out and get a cheaper option before the draupnir. It will be mine someday though.

Just tell them it’s the last yoyo you’ll ever need or something like that.

Or start squirreling away money until you get $200. Kids usually get allowances or paid for small jobs right? I saved up to buy a Super Mario 3 NES bundle with allowance. Bought it with individual $1s, and it cost like $150. And this was in like 1990 so in today’s terms that’s something like $15,000. :wink:

Yeah, so save some allowance. Or steal bikes. Whatever, you know. The point is, be resourceful.

Saving up $200 shouldn’t be too difficult even for a kid though it might take a while and some ingenuity and/or self-restraint to not buy other stuff.

Oh I have 200 saved up, they just say that I should save it for something I NEED. I guess they are right in a way. Oh well. I’ll probably get an amplitude if I can’t convince them before the amplitude is released.

Amplitude is awesome. Thrown my friend’s for awhile and am getting mine in the mail soon!

Plus its a General-Yo.

Although I DO really want a Draupnir, but I’d never pay that much for a yoyo, or at least I won’t until I get a full time job :wink:

Are they going to stop making them…?

Maybe he means they just can’t make them fast enough.

I don’t know whether YYR has plans to make more of them. What I mean is at this moment, I know of only one store that still has them in stock and can sell to Americans. And they have only two.

As for whether YYR will make more, they probably will eventually. But who can say for sure? They gave up their entire former lineup after releasing the Draupnir. Maybe they’re focusing on something else for now. Those anodized Lasers still haven’t shown up and I was told they’d be in their store soon in…January, I think. Yeah. So if you don’t buy one now you could be waiting a very long time.

That’s all I meant.

I realize that I could be waiting a long time. And I am one of those people who can get only one, maybe two yoyos a year. Trust me, I’m not getting a whole bunch of hundred dollar yoyos. In fact, I agree with that mentality, quality over quantity. It’s just that everyone has a price limit, and 200 dollars on a yoyo is where my parents draw the line. And thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Tell your parents you’re getting two $100 yo-yos :slight_smile:

And technically it’s 19,800 yen = $193.25 at the moment, so you’re good in my book 8)

Though once you factor in paypal fees and shipping it would be more like $210 or $215, but the yo-yo itself is still under $200 so go for it. Only one Draupnir left by the way.

Also there are other really good Japanese yo-yos you can get for more like $150-$180, like the yoyomonster checkmate or especially anything put out by Sturm Panzer lately, which tend to be $200 yo-yos in quality (7075/brass bimetals with no vibe) but sell for quite a bit less.

I just ordered a Turning Point Leviathan 5 for $162 shipped. So there are some fantastic yo-yos out there for reasonable prices but unfortunately most of the best ones are 19800 yen or higher.

Also, I meant to hit the quote button and accidentally hit thank you. If you were wondering about the kind of random thank you lol. ;D

Can anyone confirm that both parts of the body are made from the same alloy (7075)?

In the draupnir? If so then no. I’m pretty sure it was confirmed that it was 7075 and stainless steel.

Just got my Amplitude! Holy cow, so good. I think Ernie has competition grades for 70ish if you wanna keep looking into it.

Agree it wouldn’t be a good idea. At one of the sites where it was for sale it described the body and the rims as being out of 7075 which is why I asked. I haven’t seen a description state that it’s stainless steel rims.

I think someone in the yyr appreciation thread asked kendo and he said it was stainless steel. I could be wrong though.

Obviously steel, not even up for debate. Hence the tempering, sheen, etc.

Perhaps it’s obvious in person, but not so much in photos - I have never seen one in person. Anyway, there is a site that says 2 alloys of 7075.

I’ve seen sites confirm the rim is steel but can’t exactly link them here. I’d say 28spin is almost certainly wrong.

EDIT: accidentally wrote “7075” instead of steel. The rim is NOT 7075.

spingear says theyr stainless steel.

Link to store removed
-jhb8426-

I thought they were titanium rims. I have never seen a rainbow finish on steel. Not saying it can not be done, I have just never seen it done.