Draupnir

So when I ask what everyone’s favorite yoyo is, most people say the draupnir. I was wondering what makes it so good.

Try it, worth a thousand words

1 Like

My can’t come soon enough.

Same here.
Expecting it to come by Friday…
If only those 3 days were really 3 days and not 3 years

It’s just a well made yoyo that appeals to most people’s liking. Stable, light, fast, good spin times, relatively comfortable in the hand, and good horizontal play.

Apparently the store I bought from put the wrong postal code on the package. FML

Man, but it’s so expensive…

But it’s so worth every penny. It truly is a next level yoyo.

It’s a bimetal, so it has a denser metal on the rims which makes it super stable, and light and fast, good for finger spins and horizontal, pretty much great all around player…now to get my hands on one.

It’s not bad, but not that great at Fingerspins either. But the one I tried was raw, an anodized one probably Fingerspins a bit better.

Don’t worry!
Ill make sure to tell you how great mine plays in the meantime =D

My theory of why the Draupnir is so popular is as follows:

The best performing yoyos (spin, stability) are usually heavier, and fairly rim weighted, so they perform great but play heavy, slow and solid.

Now although everyone loves a nice stable, long spinning yoyo, not everyone likes heavier yoyos. A lot of people prefer lighter yoyos because they’re faster, floatier (whatever that means) and generally seem to be more fun to play from my experience. However, the trade off is that you usually get a slight drop in performance over a heavier yoyo.

With the design of the Draupnir, you get the speed and light feel of a light yoyo, but with the spin times and stability of a heavier yoyo. It’s this ‘best of both worlds’ feel that makes it such a delight to play with as it seems to break normal yoyo physics.

Now don’t get me wrong, you can do pretty much everything you can on a Draupnir on a Shutter, and it won’t change your life to buy one, nor are you truly missing out on life if you can’t afford one.

That being said, if you have the money and wan’t to try one of the best yoyos that money can buy, then I can highly recommend it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well I’m not one o those people who says “you only need to spend 10 bucks on a yoyo. Just look at the whip!” That’s silly, but if you can do almost everything on a shutter or even a clwy, than the draupnir can, then why spend $250? I mean even the pros don’t spend that much. Just look at their favorite yoyos. I mean maybe Hiroyuki Suzuki, but still…

A 2004 Honda Accord will get you to wherever you need to go, but some people want to drive something a little nicer.

1 Like

I dunno wat you people think about style,
but I myself just absolutely cant picture in my mind Zach, Janos or Takeshi using a draupnir. Now change that to Dazzler, and it makes slightly more sense.

That’s only because their styles are different than the people who normally use Draupnirs, i.e. Iori, Akitoshi, Izuru. I think all three of them would do just as well in competition with the Draupnir if given time to practice with it. Zach especially, since his preference is toward lighter yoyos.

Also, those 3 are slack oriented, which makes it more about their own skill than about how good the yoyo is. That is why they don’t need to use something as intense as a Draupnir, but can play with whatever they want. The three I mentioned are extreme trick oriented, which means they need a super duper yoyo.

So you buy a draupnir to show it off the same way you show off a sorts car?

I would actually agree with that. I would never buy a draupnir for its performance alone. Maybe I would get it for the fun of having a YYR, but I don’t think the performance is worth the price.

Who are these new cats? Have you people even played a Draupnir? Can you even tell the difference between different yoyos (play-wise)?

Some ridiculous statements being made here by people who don’t even know what they’re talking about.

1 Like