Will YYR make any more Draupnirs?

Does anyone know if YYR will make more of these? All I see these days are OD Draupnir. I assume the profit-margin on Chinese-made throws is much higher than the Japanese Draupnir.

I bet a new run would sell-out pretty fast.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing for a while now.

1 Like

I didnā€™t think Draupnirs were in vogue anymore. From what I can tell itā€™s been superseded by more modern throws, and its appeal resides mostly with collectors at this point.

2 Likes

I would prefer a new run of fragments to draupnirs personally.

3 Likes

They are coming up on a 10 year anniversary, so maybe they will have a special edition next year. Its not listed as retired yet on their site. I would be excited to get one if they did.

9 Likes

They made a re run on Dazzler, I donā€™t see why they wonā€™t do the same for Draupnir.

6 Likes

The Draup is nearly 10 year old?? Is this what it feels like to get old? :flushed:

I also didnā€™t know that OD Draups are Chinese-made. Is that true for all of them? Iā€™m glad I still have my ā€˜Bobā€™ Draupnir.

8 Likes

Lol, will you ever tire of your relentless Draupnir hating?

The sad thing is that after a decade; no "modern throwsā€™ can surpass the original.

As I remember you touted the Hummingbird as a Draupnir killer. I got one a while back. Sold it in a week.

4 Likes

I donā€™t hate the Draupnir. I have two, in fact. I just think thereā€™s better out there now. Thatā€™s not hate. Thatā€™s clarity.

10 Likes

I would love it if they ran more draupnirs, but I honestly kind of like the OD a little better, and those arenā€™t too hard to come by. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

No, itā€™s true. While the Draupnir is definitely still a good yoyo, there are still modern takes on the shape/design that essentially do the same thing for a much much cheaper price.

The fact is, new players have options like the Flash, Flashback, Wildfire, and Converge. While I donā€™t doubt that these may have individual characteristics or quirks that make them not exactly like the Draupnir, theyā€™re still modern alternatives. At least in the respect that theyā€™re v-shaped, competition-oriented bimetals with an emphasis on maximizing rim weight for speed and power.

Whether or not these options are ā€œbetterā€ is entirely subjective though.

In actual respect to the thread though, Iā€™d love to see a modern draup release. I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to afford it or even be able to justify the purchase, but for a new group of people to be able to get their hands on it, or even something for old fans of the yoyo to be able to enjoy would be nice. Especially since the Draupnir basically only exists in bst rn.

5 Likes

I was recently fascinated that YYR updated the Valkyrie. Now the Valkyrie looks like the Chopsticks Gorillasā€™ uncle.

The Valkyrie was not much more than a heavier Draupnir. And standing alone, the Valkyrie is a good yo-yo. But the Magic of the Draupnir never needed any extra weight.

The Draupnir has such an excellent balance of performance features, it will be relevant for years to come.

And since the performance of the Draupnir was waaaay ahead of its time, I donā€™t even consider it an older design. Time is just catching up, lolā€¦

The Draupnir is a most excellent yoyo.

Ifā€¦ā€¦ if a person has Draupnirs and doesnā€™t play them, then he is definitely a collector. Because if you are any kind of player and you love top shelf yoyos; your Draups would have some frequent flyer miles on them.

16 Likes

Love to hear some names!

Youā€™re right tho most people just collecting em, kinda sad really a comp throw for collection,

I have 1 and thatā€™s all I need, still a good throw after the years, just not my personal favorite for comp

2 Likes

The Hummingbird and Elite '18 come immediately to mind.

6 Likes

If you ever consider selling one, please let me know. Iā€™ve always heard and read about Draupnir, but never had the chance to see in real life.

I really starting to check YYR because of you and OD because @zslane.

My first OD was Kuntosh (because at that time I couldnā€™t find VTWO at YYE store) and my YYR was Gorilla Chopsticks.

I really enjoy your opinion, both of you.

Hummingbird is a throw that I was hyped and bought. Its an amazing throw. I cant imagined a better yoyo at this point that made you sell yours. Okay, maybe comparing to the Draupnirā€¦ Thatā€™s makes me wonder how incredible this yoyo isā€¦

1 Like

i had two draups, i gave one away and sold another when i needed a computer upgrade. bimetals arenā€™t my stable so i figured that i would be ok. iā€™m
hard up trying to find a draup these days.

3 Likes

I may or may not know where @fatguysnacks247 draupnir is :wink:

1 Like

lmao!!!

1 Like