Will YYR make any more Draupnirs?

i want more pom ones more than the original tbhtbhbh

5 Likes

Did the Draupnir go through any design changes over its lifetime?

1 Like

Didnā€™t they make a small change to the string gap pretty early on?

Iā€™ve been wondering if they are going to do a refresh on the draupnir ever since they did the valkyrie. I donā€™t feel like it needs a refresh, but there definitely needs to be more on the market. Iā€™d love to find a pom draupnir, every time one pops up on the BST Iā€™m always too late. I love hybrids so much.

The draupnir, sigtyr and valkyrie are the most amazing trio of sibling yoyos. Mine all get a lot of playtime and I treasure them. The gorilla is my current yyr favorite but Iā€™d let it go before I let the 3 sisters go. Iā€™m very torn on the new valkyrie, given how much I like the gorilla I imagine Iā€™ll love it, but itā€™s nothing like the OG valkyrie which kinda bugs me. I feel the same way about OD draupnir, itā€™s a totally different yoyo and even though its really good I donā€™t like it because itā€™s not a draupnir and shouldā€™ve been given its own name.

3 Likes

Yeah they made some major changes to the draupnir over the years

Only finish changes? Only a small gap change? Some major changes? Color me confusedā€¦

1 Like

I tried to ping Kengo on Ins but got no response. But I guess if thereā€™re enough messages on this topic maybe one day he will be tired and make a formal claim lol.

Sorry my bad, they had changed the gap width on the gold atuned Draupnir. You can see on the yoyo wiki page: YoYoRecreation Draupnir | YoYo Wiki | Fandom I donā€™t believe they made changes on the standard ones, since the gold version is pretty limited. Please do correct me if Iā€™m wrong ^^

3 Likes

Remember the whole diminishing returns thing here. I think the draupnir is special because it was so far ahead of its time and has stood the test of time incredibly well. Itā€™s a legendary yoyo and any bimetal V shape is going to get compared to draupnirā€¦ which to me is plenty of reason to own one. It does have its own feel, but the hummingbird, elite 18, flash/flashback, sengokuā€™s kenshin and I donā€™t know how many others live in the same niche and which you might prefer is impossible for anyone else to guess. Is draupnir somehow better than all these? Nah, but its legendary which has an impact of all its own.

3 Likes

Seems like the gold one got its own variant name: Attuned Draupnir. That, along with its unique colorway, helps differentiate it from all other Draupnirs.

1 Like

Yep, because aside from Attuned Draupnir, the normal Draupnir also has one in gold. Found this on Chinese BST, there are some crazy collectors out thereā€¦

17 Likes

I got your point and I thank you for your explanation.

The black draupnir I owned was an attuned if I recall correctly. It didnā€™t have attuned engraving though.

1 Like

Looks like the og was basically attuned

1 Like

Beautiful collection, canā€™t say I understand the shrink wrap and the desiccant packs though :thinking:

3 Likes

Itā€™s for preserving the yoyo from oxidating haha. Might be a little extreme with the wrap.

2 Likes

Waittā€¦ so a black draupnir released in 2014 is also attuned but not by name and engravingā€¦ this is confusingā€¦

1 Like

I think corrosion is the enemy of aluminum, not oxidation.

5 Likes

I think anodizing itself is a controlled oxidation process.

6 Likes

I think youā€™re both right. This page has a pretty decent explanation What is Anodizing? The Finish of Choice | AAC

1 Like

I can answer this for you! I sifted through the old YYR Appreciation Page for a Draupnir Documentary I wanna make.

tl;dr: YYR released the Attuned Draupnir, they changed their logo, and every draupnir released after they changed their logo had the same gap width as the Attuned Draupnir.

9 Likes