Looking for competition set

Hey all! Need some help with recommendations…

I’m looking to get into competing more and I am trying to find a competition set. I don’t keep up with each new release though and a lot of my collection is from the 2015 era, so I’ve come looking for help. Since I’d be purchasing ~3 of whatever yoyo I pick I’d like for them to be reasonably cheap, maybe <$50? For some context, my inspiration is a lot of Takeshi, Chuck, Arata, and Andrew Bergen. Not super into speed combos but if something can handle them that’s just a plus.

More context - throws I currently own:
YYF
Shutter, Horizon, Dogma, Too HOT, Protostar, Bimetal Superstar, Regen
CLYW
New Yeti, Borealis 2
Misc
AceYo Gravitation 5, Slusny Baby, Ti Sunbird, AL7 2018 Banshee, Duncan Barracuda, OG Draupnir, Yoyobrothers Heritage

2 Likes

I would look into seeing if you can get a set of B-grade YYF Will’s.

You can get a couple Recognition yoyos from UNPRLD.

Have you tried JDS shutter? that might be an option.

1 Like

Honestly this is a great recommendation. Magicyoyo zo3/zo2 are both pretty good as well if you want to buy new. Hard to beat B grade yyf in terms of value though, tons of them around and if you don’t mind some vibe (which most contest throwers want atleast a little) they’re killer deals.

2 Likes

Not to mention its design is the sig of Akitoshi Tokubuchi who is a yoyo control god.

^ one of the most helpful/insightful pieces of media about control refinement

5 Likes

hopefully yyf will (no pun intended) sell B-grades of the version 2 WILL’S this may.

that would be hype, I keep forgetting to snag one during the sale and then regret it for the rest of the year

1 Like

Ikr it kepts getting sold out when I had a opportunity to buy one but right now my focus is the ver 2 since the newer ones have minor design changes, plus the new 3 colorways are sooo good especially the fade ones.

2 Likes

The clear and the green, they complete me

1 Like

good take :slight_smile: very inexpensive and super reliable

3 Likes

The recognition is such a good throw !!! I don’t regret picking one up! it’s easily one of the best performing mono metals I’ve ever used :grin:

2 Likes