CLYW and The Maple Syrup feel

I think your opinion is BS, and you likely just can’t tell the difference. But that’s just an opinion.

And to an extent this would be true. One Drop runs certain yoyos for CLYW, and a huuuge chunk of YYFs line is made in China.

I think the placebo can sometimes do that, but I genuinely dislike the shutter. Whether it is $10, $35, $100, or $150, I still dislike the way it plays.

well technically clyws are made in japan, but yes. yyf still china.

1 Like

I really like the Shutter, and feel the exact same as Erik, except that the “extra special” feeling is for my YoyoFactory throws. Now for some Shutter love:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8589/16132061787_f0f49cc8c7_c.jpgShutterggspin7 by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

Wait what? CLYW’s arnt made in japan

Great pic TA

1 Like

Doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Figured I’d garner some negative responses from my post. Would like to note that I’ve owned 3 peaks, 4 bvm’s, 2 chiefs, AC1, avalanche, and yeti. I’ve thrown almost their entire lineup as well. My favorite of them was probably the bvm or yeti and I actually kept the bvm as part of my collection for multiple years which is pretty rare for me. They were great yoyos I just don’t see why people think they’re so much more amazing than other available throws. I will say clyw definitely has a certain feel to most of it’s throws but they all just feel a bit heavy to me. I also would like to note that I think made in China throws perform just as good as made in America throws after owning an Ares Star.

This whole random tangent that has been going on in multiple threads is easily the most hilarious thing on the forum this week!

1 Like

Feel is subjective. However, no way in hell anyone thinks the Shutter feels like a $150 yoyo.

Its like golf clubs, some people play a $2,000 set of Miura irons forged by the hands of God, others pick up a set of 1984 Ping Eye 2s for $150 out of a used club bin. Both solid options, but nobody that really knows what they’re talking about is going to look at them side by and say, “yeah, I think these are pretty much the same. Just hype”.

Word. Miura is bomb.

Its because CLYW puts care and great detail into each throw… YYF mass produces the crap out of throws and prints their name on every piece of Chinese metal and it just loses that special feeling… This is why i own 0 YYF… Also theres no resale value… So why bother?? I mean yes, in the end you can do the same tricks… i guess… But are you fingers going to have that same sticky bacon eggs and syrup feel once your done playing with your YYF?? Nope!

When you hold and play with a CLYW , it tells a story… And each yoyo is infused with jensen kimmit magic bearing juice for improved play… YYF just crys ‘i have 1000 other friends in China who left me to rot on my own’

If i ever do somehow acquire a YYF, i will see that it is eminently destroyed and ceases to exist in this dimensional plane… Probably death by train track or bottle rocket to the moon so E.T.'s can study it

Well, the good news is that, for everyone who owns zero YYF, there might be someone like me who owns 100. ;D

This is my latest one, the new Too H.O.T. YoyoExpert sold the last one already in this color, but they may be getting some more soon. Keep an eye out.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8637/15712663793_2243bbb5e0_z.jpgTooHOTgg by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

I got into CLYWs fairly late in the game. I worked my way up to the high ends. My favorites of them all are the Chief, Cliff, BVM2, AC, and that Gnarwhal 2 is pretty up there now too. More and more I like what they’re doing, and I’m tuned in. Chris is a perfect gentleman too, good guy, so I give my support.

1 Like

This all day. The more a person spends and knows about its “rarity” the more they will think its special. I think its just human nature to think that way.

Its like girls and diamonds.

Chris and I would both really appreciate it if conversation about why you like CLYW didn’t include tearing down other companies. YoYoFactory is made up of a ton of fantastic return top players who have contributed so much more to this industry than you have any understanding of, and their hard work has paved the way for companies like CLYW. They’re great people making great products, and there’s absolutely no need for anyone to tear them down in order to build us up.

If you don’t care for their products, that’s totally fine. But have some respect for the people who have worked really hard for the past decade to vastly improve the industry and scene that you’re currently enjoying. Thanks.

10 Likes

I completely agree I still really like YYF I just like CLYW a bit more you guys both make great yoyo’s. For me I kinda feel like YYF is the company that can make an amazing yoyo for $50 and CLYW is the master of higher end more expensive throws. Both good company’s just different if you don’t like buuying a great yoyo for $50 and you want something a little fancyer looking then you just buy a CLYW its all preference really.

I like CLYW more than YYF but I always recomend YYF throws when I see people looking to get there first mettle yoyo because a Shutter or a Cypher is really great for the price.

I’m with Steve I don’t like to see people totally rip company’s a part I simply like to state what I like a bout both company’s and why I prefer on more than the other. Just because I like CLYW doesn’t man I hate yoyofactory I just don’t like there yoyo’s as much (As being the key word I still like there trhows just not AS Much)

1 Like

OneDrop makes them.

Yea I know OD makes them thats why I was confused on why someone thought they were made in japan

EDIT oh… yup CLYW’s are deffinatly made in japan I just researched it and it is defintatly true Steve brown has been trying to hide it from us but we know it is true.

1 Like

In all fairness, my trusty Ford Fiesta is made in the USA; the air fans can’t be turned off, the window side panels flew off on the motorway, the windows unwind themselves over time, and the inside of the windscreen freezes over whenever it’s cold. So… USA-made isn’t always best. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to agree that I do feel like CLYW’s tend to have a more interesting and enjoyable feeling to them than some other brands. I wouldn’t say that it’s a placebo, since I’ve played plenty of $100-$150 throws that I didn’t really like, and I don’t subconsciously expect a yoyo to be great just because I paid $150 for it… it’s a lottery with each purchase as far as I’m concerned.

I can’t quite figure out what it is about CLYW throws that works so well. I’ve drafted this post up about 20 different times over the course of the day today trying to put my finger on it and finally just accepted the fact that I can’t.

But then in all fairness, it’s not just CLYW (even though they do it very consistently); there are plenty of other yoyo manufacturers out there making yoyos that are truly a delight to throw. Just look at the Markmont. Classic for instance, easily the most enjoyable yoyo I’ve thrown in a while, so it shows that Onedrop can sprinkle the syrup saké where it’s needed as well. :slight_smile:

[Also, speaking of Syrup, I never really realised that Maple Syrup came straight from the tree. I mean, I knew it did, but it never really hit me until I was looking it up the other day. All of a sudden this Canadian Pure No1 Light I have in front of me (I use it in my yogurt at work sometimes) seems less like a syrup and more like a vintage cognac. I can practically smell the forest…]

^ Yup maple syrup comes from trees ma and my family tried to make some of our own maple syrup we got a few maple trees around our farm. it takes forever to boil the sap but in the end it turned out okish