Cheap metal competition pair? Sine Saw vs. Strix

Hi guys! So I’m looking for a cheap competition pair that I can get for under $135. Help!

-Do you know how to bind the yoyo? (If you don’t know what bind means then you don’t know how)
Yesh.
-Do you have a yoyo that you own or played with that you have liked very much? Describe every detail. Eg. what kind of friction stickers you are using, cleaned bearing or not, and so on.
Loved the Phenom for the speed and loved the Chief for the really long spin times and insane stability.
-Do you have a preferred shape of the yoyo? Answer it by saying like the shape similar to this or that yoyo. Some people just hopping into the yoyo groove haven’t tried all the shapes and want to explore. When this happens its all about experimenting. Please try new yoyos at contests or anywhere you can get ahold of someone for those of you in this situation. The more yos you try the less likely you are going to order something you don’t like. for those of you who live in a cave. then buy a yoyo and live with it.
Doesnt matter too much, I do prefer V or H like shape, but shape isnt a big deal, not a fan of organic though…

-Do you have a preferred weight or weight distribution? Answer it saying similar to this or that yoyo.
Heavily rim weighted, doesnt matter much though as long as it’s really stable. I like a lighter yoyo for the extra speed, so preferably 66g or below, but weight isnt too big of a deal either.
-Do you have a price range?
Below $135 for a competition pair (2)
-Do you have a certain amount of yoyos narrowed down? List them.
Really looking at the Sine Saw and Strix. You’re welcome to recommend others though!
-Do you prefer a certain brand?
Nahh.
-Are you looking for a yoyo that specializes a style? Like looping, off string, freehand, etc.
1A.
-Do you prefer a certain response syetem?
Nope, I got irpads ready if I don’t like it anyways.
-Do you want hubsstacks or z stacks?
Usually I dont care, but preferably not this time.
-What trick are you currently working on?
Ive been on vacation so nothing really… My best tricks though are like Ladder Escape, Plan D, etc. and I work on a little of my own stuff too, I’m somewhat advanced but not quite competition ready yet, but I’m preparing :smiley:
-Do you want a yoyo to Thumb grind or arm grind good?
Preferably yes, but doesn’t matter as long as it can do an OK job of it.

I’m looking for a stable, well rounded yoyo that plays on the faster side and is decent at horizontal, Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

Two Yoyofficer Auras would do it.

I think a pair of YYJ Theories or Inspires would be pushing your budget but only by a few dollars.

Too bad the new YYF SuperStar2013 is, in pairs, outside your budget. The Equilateral is another serious contender for all that and more. I wonder what Gentry Stein’s new Shutter is gonna cost, might be work investigating.

Each, if it’s still at $135, the CLYW AC. However, I think your total budget is $135, right?

C3 DiBase or DiBase 2.

God Tricks Bounty Hunter, but they are over-sized.

Recently scored a new A-grade 68 gram Dreadnought, but at $74 each, too much for your budget. I think they are out now anyways.

The only reason I don’t recommend the Sine//saw is for the horizontal finger spin tricks. Otherwise, yes, go for it. Amazing! However, many of these aren’t good grinders. If there are graphics, that’s grind-friendly surface area. If you’re unsure, ask the reseller for more specifics.

OK, that’s it. Out of ideas. Everything else I can think of has center nubs or is too pricey.

Yes, my total budget is $135. How does the Sine Saw play? Ive heard good things about it but cant find a review for more details on how it actually plays. And how does it compare to the Dibase 2?

Its a lighter, faster, more angular cheif

OK, first, take the Freq. Wav, as many of the new RecRevs are based off of this design. The “@” comes first, basically taking the Freq.Wav and adding STAX to it. I think there is more weight loaded at the rims though too.

The Sine//Saw then builds from there, going a touch smaller and lighter for faster performance.

It’s a lot of things I like: Well built, feels good in the hand. With most metals these days, you expect smooth and stable performance, and this delivers. I can’t play horizontal but it was built with that in mind. It also loves to be pushed as fast as you can go and stays stable and on the axis you want it very well. Grinds are hit and miss depending on the surface treatment. Finger/thumb spins on the inside of the rim’s cups are nearly impossible due to the hub of the STAX in the way. Thumb grinds can be done but there’s no well defined IRG on it.

I don’t have a DiBase2 yet. I can’t compare. I will say RecRev continues to amaze me with their products.

I’m no longer wasting time with reviews. Steve Brown said they are pointless so I figured “why bother”.

Actually, that’s not entirely true. I am working on a review for the Y-Not F.A yoyo, which will probably be the only review I publish outside my own web site. I’d recommend the F.A, but they are hard to get and shipping is a screw job, and it’s gonna cost you $80 each for the yoyo, plus another $30 to ship the thing. It’s also a touch too light for most people, myself included, but other than that, it’s another smooth, solid yoyo. First release by a Vietnamese company. It’s selling rather well in Vietnam.

The Sine Saw sounds amazing… I LOVE a fast and stable yoyo that can handle horizontal. The shape looks really nice too. I guess grinding wouldnt be a big deal cuz I like to do that for fun, not for a contest or something like that. I know what I’m getting ;D

Thanks!

Too bad you’re not around where I live. I think I’m gonna be bringing my RecRevs to the YoLex meet at Roseville Saturday. You’d get a chance to actually get your hands on one. Or two since I have two. You could compare that to the “@” and others.

Honestly, id go for Strixes.
You like the phenom. The Strix is… Better than the phenom. In my experience at least.
The play reminds me of a phenom.
But, if those are too small for you. Hours cannot be beat.
That is one yoyo, that I can’t get over. 60$ gets you a long spinning FREAK of a yoyo.
The Same can be said of the Strix.
I chose these 2, due to you loving the Lunarwind, and the phenom.
I Can see you adoring the Strix.

Yea that sucks… You won’t be able to see my very limited knowledge of yoyoing either xD

Nor will you see my very limited skills of yoyo either!

AHHH, WHY YOU GONNA PUT ME INN ANOTHER PREDICAMENT o.O

The strix. is like. Mindblowing.
It play like…Lunarwind, with Cascade specs

I’d get the Strix. I really dislike the Hour. I love Werrd but don’t care for the Hour at all.

I think I need to move the STRIX up on my “wants” list now.

This is a Must.
I Play this over my Puffin. and that says so much.
The Strix is like. the Puffin x Phenom. or cascade x Lunarwind.
The price really should be much higher…
Not that I’m complaining :smiley:

Ahhh… Now idk :stuck_out_tongue: do you have one or did you just try it?

Is it more stable than the Lunarwind? Or faster? Or both? :smiley:

Im actually getting a cascade from a trade so might see if I like it first… Couldve gotten another Code 2 and make that my competition pair but I’m not feeling it yet… And studio recommended me a cascade a while back, so I chose the Cascade… Code 2 is good and all but it’s kinda boring IMO. Idk… Maybe competitionthrows arent supposed to be exciting xD

I Have it.
I play it more than my wind…
And its interesting. It can be a speedy little bugger. or slow.
Its easier to push it to faster speeds.
as for stable? The LW is probably just a tad bit more stable.

Have you tried a Sine Saw?

GOSH, there really needs to be a yoyo lending library :stuck_out_tongue:

Sine//saw? No I have not.
I hear people say more solid feeling Chief. and smaller.
So That means, I’d expect it to play like a freq wav.