Cant seem to get a smooth throw/ wobbly throw

I recently got back into yoyoing and realized i can rarely get a perfectly smooth throw and it wobbles. Its not a problem with the yoyo itself because every once in a while i can get a perfect throw and when i touch my nail to it, it smoothens out. Any suggestions or techniques to get a smooth throw? Im using the yyf shutter by the way.

That happens to me all the time, and it is largely due to the way the string wraps around the axle during a bind. It is especially pronounced if the string is in a highly twisted state. If the throw is less wobbly after you’ve removed all the string twist, then you know that’s the problem (or at least a large part of it). It might also just be that your binding technique is off a little (or less precise than it needs to be), which is sometimes my problem as well.

2 Likes

Yea i noticed that once i take out all the string tension, it is smoother, i think my bind is fine though. Is this problem just mainly with the shutter or with most yoyos?

No, it isn’t just the Shutter. It happens with a great many of my yoyos. I haven’t yet figured out what they all have in common.

Do you have any techniques to still get a smooth throw with a lot of string tension? Like ways to hold the yoyo?

You aren’t gonna want to hear this answer but it’s practice. Practice will make this go away. If you can smooth the yoyo out by touching it then it’s your throw, not the yoyo.

8 Likes

Ok. Guess its time to practice more!

2 Likes

This is one of the biggest things I think many people take for granted. I am at a stage now where I am pretty happy with my throw whether I am throwing forward or doing a break away but it took a long long time for me to be able to get to this stage. Practice is the only way around it and have fun.

4 Likes

Don’t throw as hard as you can. Smooth and straight is better than hard and wobbly.
Also, usually the yoyo will smooth out as you play anyways.

4 Likes

Ok i will practice more, that must be the key! Thanks to everyone for your help.

1 Like

Just a thought, but it sounds like you are just throwing and binding. Try throwing into a mount, like a front mount or a trapeze. You might be a little smoother if you are aiming at something, get a little more flow.

2 Likes

Try really ‘snapping’ your wrist to a clear ‘stop’. The cleaner the trajectory and the faster the arm (from elbow to hand) snaps to a hard stop - the cleaner the spin should be.

Some yoyos are more susceptible to that initial throw vibe - and honestly once you throw into a trick it disappears pretty fast - so its nothing to over worry about either. :blush:

5 Likes

It absolutely is the key. And don’t worry about it too much. It takes a long time to get a really smooth throw. Don’t focus on it, focus on learning tricks. Your throw will improve with time.

1 Like

Yup, everything said rings true to me as well. Just keep throwing. I never threw a break-away to the side until I started playing unresponsive yoyos, and well, I think it took me 3 months before I could throw it smooth. Even then, it was a struggle to throw a good one. Literally thousands of throws later, and I can throw smooth in my sleep (or when drunk, lol). It is one of those things that is hard to teach because it is so innate/rudimentary to yoyo and is something you don’t think about once yet get to that point. Maybe pick up a responsive yoyo and play with that for a while? That is what all the pros (pretty much) recommend, and honestly is good advice for cleaning up play on an unresponsive. Im definitely more clean when I throw my fixie for a few hours and then go back to unresponsive yoyos.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for all the help. I didnt expect so many replies and help. I will practice on my throw much more now. I didnt realize it took so much practice just to get a smooth throw.
Thanks.