Help with my throw

I posted a similar topic already but im looking for some more responses. When i throw a sleeper, i put my thumb in between the string gap, and it acts like a guide to keep the yoyo from wobbling. If i throw the traditional way, it wobbles like crazy and i can not throw a smooth throw at all without using my thumb. I have watched so many videos and none of them seem to help. And i have practiced for so long and i just cannot get a smooth throw the traditional way people throw. Do any of you throw with your thumb in the string gap, and does it limit you from doing anything . I just need any tips. Im using the yyf shutter wide angle.

1 Like

Is this when you do a forward throw or a breakaway? (Don’t think that matters too much but it helps to know)

1 Like

Hey! With wide yoyos it is usually difficult at first to throw with no wobble. Just try to focus on it, while practice other tricks. Luckily that will dissapear over time when you get good. I’ve been yoyoing for 6 months and sometimes my throws aren’t smooth:)But definitely much more consistent and better than they were when I started

1 Like

I put my thumb in the middle for both. But my main problem is just throwing forward, im not worried about my break away.

Ok thanks. Do you think i can continue throwing with my thumb in the middle of the gap because i can get consistant throws most of the time, or will it get in the way later?

I throw with my thumb in the gap sometimes, depends what I’m throwing. I think you should throw however you’re comfortable. As long as it’s not limiting your ability to throw hard when you need to, then it should be fine. Once you’re better at it, it’s easier to make adjustments to your throw.

For now, maybe trying lightening up on your throw a bit. It’s much easier to throw smooth if you’re not throwing too hard.

I think you’re getting in your own head. A good throw takes a long time. Years even. I’ve been throwing 2 years and I wouldn’t say I have a good throw. It’s infinitely better than a year ago, and 2 years ago I was kinda feeling like you. Google told me to be patient, and so I was :slight_smile: You’ll get there.

2 Likes

Okay so I am a beginner too :slight_smile:

But what I find helps with a forward throw is throw the yoyo with the palm facing up and don’t turn your palm over until the yoyo is already sleeping.

This should already help quite a bit.

With both the forward throw and the side throw the trick is the have the yoyo as parallel to the ground as possible in your hand, and try and maintain this parallel orientation throughout the throw and imagine you are trying to keep it parallel until much after it has left your hand.

I know it’s tedious, but try and do a super gentle throw like this and build up the power bit by bit until you get wobbles, back up in strength and work your way up again.

I found committing just 30 minutes like this helped me a lot

I hope this helps you

3 Likes

Ok thanks. Should i let the string run all the way along my middle finger to the tip of it, and then when it is sleeping i turn my hand over?

1 Like

a video exemplifying this would be the easiest way for us to understand/correct you

1 Like

On it, Video uploading to youtube as we speak :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find that if your yoyo starts off perpendicular to the ground but you add twist to it as it leaves your hand that causes the most amount of wobble.
So try and keep it parallel and imagine you are still trying even after it left the hand is the best way to visualise it and have the yoyo as straight and smooth as possible. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok thank you that seems very helpful. I am going to practice with what you said. Thanks again.

1 Like

You’re more than welcome.
Hope you find your throw soon!

1 Like

@MoonageMin is the nicest person!

My response was directed towards OP but that works just as fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah thanks dude @Damb
I am only paying forward a fraction of the help I already received from this lovely community. :slight_smile:

I’m just glad it’s one of those very few things I can actually help on. :joy:

1 Like