Can you fix a sharp ding?

So like the smart man I am, I stood very close to a coffee table and threw my Freshly Dirty Mountain Man at it. Now I have a ding which is surprisingly sharp. At first I thought nothing of it but after a few failed tricks caused the yoyo to hit my hand the ding turned into a mini chainsaw!
Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can smooth out the ding without totally trashing the yoyo?

4 Likes

I hesitate to post this because of the sensitivity of some folks about dings and all, but I would use some fine sandpaper. Very gently sanding the knife edge off that ding will allow you to continue throwing without the slicing and dicing of your hand. I’ve sure enough had to do it to some of my most used throws.

3 Likes

What I’ve done in the past is taken a spoon and use the backside of the spoon to press the metal back in. Once you get it flattened out, get an old pair of jeans or anything made with denim and use that to smooth it out.

6 Likes

@AquaJoe may be able
to give you some advice.

2 Likes

Sandpaper is the best bet for not making it much worse. If it’s a big piece hanging off, then I’d say you could use a file to get that burr of metal off. Then use sandpaper to smooth it out.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips everyone!
I’ve just tried pressing the ding with the back of a spoon and it’s working really well. I don’t mind a bit of a bump but the sharpness has definitely reduced. Might rub some denim on it and leave it at that.
I don’t think I’ll be busting out the file as that sounds like a recipe for disaster, in my hands anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

what I found works the best is a small needle file and lightly file the nick smooth. This usually is all that is needed. It does make the ding look bigger, cause youre “opening” up that ding. The goal here is to make it smooth and not look pretty. Lol

My next step is take come birch wood Casey aluminum black and blacken the newly raw aluminum. This is is normally used on guns, but works great on any aluminum. I find the black AL looks way better than the shinny nick!

The aluminum Black is an acid, so kids get your parents!

Here’s some pics of mine that I repaired. Before, after filing and finished product

5 Likes

Wow you did a great job on that repair!
Thanks for the help. I was able to reduce the ding quite a bit by just pressing down and smoothing it out with the back of a spoon. I’m not sure what metal the mountain man is made from but it seems pretty soft. I think I might try some of that birchwood Casey aluminum black to cover up the ding and then I’m good to go again :smiley:

2 Likes

6061 Aluminum (bead blasted)

2 Likes